Forums

Help › Forums

How do you hit the ding consistently?

Wed, Feb 19 2020 1:05 PM (54 replies)
  • courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:30 PM

I think it's just one of those things that you are either good at or you're not. I'm not.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:46 PM

This thread (http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/149531.aspx) has a picture and explanation of a 'visual ding-aid' I use. It's a simple small colored rectangle that I place just under the meter bar, such that the right edge is located where I want to hit. Most times that edge is aligned with the 'ding' line, but I slide it as desired if I want to intentionally hit or late to compensate for cross-wind ... or to help 'hold the line' on long breaking putts.

Here's the pic:

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:51 PM

^^^ made me laugh...looks like my screen with home made putter pal minus yellow thing.

• donaldnoel
    257 Posts
    Sat, Mar 9 2013 3:01 AM

Golfers told me that we are, sometime, not playing as well as we should wish. Myself am sometime in bad day. But i would like to share with you something about hitting the ding:

"Protect the dingdo not hit it"  (?????)

Well it is discussed in forum how to hit the ding, and there are 358 tips (I exagerate :) ) to hit the ding. But no method to do not hit it...???

Sériously, we try to hit and if we miss by clicking before on too late,  we are concerned to have badly missed the ding. But, now, instead let's think of a goaler wearing pads and protecting the goal in hockey game. He try to stop the puck from hitting the net. Let us apply this method here. 

1.- You have the bold ding bar...This is like the goal, or the net

2.-You also have "the pad" (???) That is the small pic you raise up when starting the backswing. It is like a pad. You see that there is a small white arrow pointing down at the bottom of the "START" . That arrow is your "pad" to protect the ding from to be hitted.

Starting your backswing you have to raise that arrow, but rapidly you return that arrow to place  it in the middle height on the meter large band ...but you lean that arrow on the bold ding line...it must touch the ding line with it "shoulder". So it is in the path of the meter, protecting the ding. (This is new because all other methods clear the path of the meter and try to stop the meter "by eye only") using peripheral vision.

And If it hit the ding? congratulation, but the purpose is to pay attention to that arrow to "stop" the meter. Your concentration will be directed on that small arrow and surprisingly you will begin to be more accurate with the ding ( I mean protecting the ding) and happyly passing throught, sometime, to ding the meter...will not deceive you.  :)

In summary:Using your small white arrow will help you because you have a "blockader" now in front of the ding and you will try to block the meter when reaching that blockader. I was surprised how it is easier to have better meter control. It is finally same as blocking the puck it is not? ...and you get more confidence by practice because you have a new tool.

Hope my explanation will seem  understandable  to you because my native language is french

Donald

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Sat, Mar 9 2013 3:13 AM

My method is to bring the cursor to between the first line and the ding line as quickly as possible. I then kind of look at the meter with peripheral vision, while still concentrating on the cursor. When i see the meter has reached the cursor, i then click. As the meter is moving fast, this is most of the time good enough for the ding shot. It works for me about 60-70% of the time. If i could come up with a better system, then i would use it.

• Patdubois12
    609 Posts
    Sat, Mar 9 2013 4:31 AM

I use pretty much the same method as some players mentioned above, to bring the cursor back to the ding line as quickly as possible, it's not working every day but it's the best method for me to hit it more often, there's one thing i do to help me click more accurately, after i bring the cursor back to the line i lift my arm from the table, just enough so my arm barely touch the table, with this method, i put no pressure on my forearm and it really really help me hit the ding more often. 

It may sound weird but i've tried a lot of things and this one is the best for me.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Mar 9 2013 8:55 PM

using a wired mouse at the moment. Click is much more instantaneous.

Depending on how i feel, \~/

i either 'finger slap' the mouse or push it.

And as above, hitting the ding isnt always the best solution

If you INTEND to miss the ding, your sweet spot is now bigger.

Realise though, that unless you do hit the ding your distance is also affected.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sun, Mar 10 2013 3:36 AM

l'm now using a wired mouse as apposed to a wireless one, l found if l relax my hand totally and just finger slap l can 'ding' on a regular basis, there was maybe a bit of lag in the wireless one.

But i now seem to intentionally miss the 'ding' on some putts.

• pjctas0822
    4,550 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:08 PM

geraldlarousse:

Okay gents lol, maybe i can help. Firstly i do NOT hit the ding on any shot. I come to this conclusion about 6 months ago. I use to try and ding all shots, but i found a lot of shots when i needed it the most would not act as should when i hit the ding.

So i decided to try another method, i still aim shot but i miss ding on purpose on opposite of the wind. Now on putts i never hit the ding unless putt is dead straight, i tried to copy Priestess method. And i can say without a doubt my game is a lot better, i have way more control of my shots. I actually know were the ball is going now, lol, if that makes any sense. Takes a lil time to get it down, but my game has improved a lot. I say what ding?? hehehe.

Exaclty. When I hit the Ding I scream OH SHIET !

I find clubbing up and hitting at 90% of power instead of 100% with a less distance club will help with consistency but you have to adjust for the yardage and its more or less a guessing game from there.

Just grip it n rip it I say.

• firstinshow
    10 Posts
    Sun, Mar 24 2013 7:52 AM

I hit the ding more often when my arm, hand, and body is relaxed.  

RSS