Forums

Help › Forums

How do you hit the ding consistently?

Wed, Feb 19 2020 1:05 PM (54 replies)
  • muttsnutts69
    283 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 4:02 AM

^^^ this comment is close

You have to understand your metabolism, or biorhythms if you like.

My metabolism is fast, in other words I do not put on weight easily, my mental capacity is good, and I am in good physical shape.

My brain is always going 19 to the dozen

Early morning is my best time for playing golf - real or virtual. I know that for a fact..

So in combination with that then a relaxed body and mind will help.

Like putting;  and seeing the line and understanding how a ball behaves over slopes and undulations is not a science,  yes, there are mathematics involved, but very basic ones, the real skill in executing the shot is feel.

Sometimes I can nail a 5 iron in real life nearly 200 yards, and other times it goes 160.

When that happens you have to adjust your game to take it into account.

There are better players out there who can probably explain it better than I have.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 4:25 AM

Chinajohn:

Ok, I'm not great at this game but I'm not a newbie either.

I've read some players saying they hit the ding 80%+ and tbh I'm dumbfounded. In an 18 hole round lets for ease of maths say 36 drives and approach shots, of those 36 on average I ding perhaps 4 or 5. How do you possibly ding 25+.

My (obviously flawed) system is I stare at the meter until it gets to about half way then refocus on the ding line, and by the time my eyes have focussed it's press time and if I get that right I (sometimes) get the ding.

Do you have a 'system', if so what is it? Any help would be most appreciated.

P.S. This is in no way an accusation of any kind ref dinging, just an honest request to see if I can replicate some better methodology.

There are lots of ways people use to ding.

I don't try click the ding... I find just slightly missing left or right turns out to be a better shot than dinging it... that's for me anyway.

This is a system I use when I try to hit the ding.....  I never look at the meter straight on...  I always turn my head slightly to the left and try not to focus on ding line.

-Roger

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 4:34 AM

firstinshow:

I hit the ding more often when my arm, hand, and body is relaxed.  

One important item - feeling pressure (mostly in A/S games) spoils a lot of my shots.

@Rock: Breath synchronisation may be a key to a shot routine and my recipe (to follow) but beware of spending any thought on it. A good way to spoil a real golfer's drive is to ask him on the tee, "Do you breath in or out during your swing?"  ;)

Nobody responded to Jim's drumming question. I'm no drummer but an amateur musician, thus beat and rhythm are important to me, in my life and in this game.

Speaking about the 100 % swing, I divide the meter movement in two beats, and if it runs smoothely, I hit the ding or miss it closely, voluntarily or not. Fault tolerance of the high level equipment helps with the rest :)

Frequently, I even nod my head with the two beats, amplifying the effect.

Visually, I don't bother about the mouse. I follow the meter bar during the first beat, checking for stutters, and then concentrate on the ding line. Nod, nod&click, it's inevitable. Sometimes - relax, relax - I have no sharp view but a blurry one - DING!!

There is also not much trouble to play this two beat tune faster or slower, thus different meter speeds between clubs and between games have only minor and temporary effects. Alas, I can't keep the rhythm when it's too slow, therefore I can't play any of those "big feel" balls. I played the speedy Tour SD long time and only recently changed to some lower level Callies, accepting the odd early click because of the better spin characteristics. I'm becoming dizzy with Nikes, and I'd certainly fall asleep with Max balls :)

These are my rigamole 2 Pfennig

• DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 5:00 AM

After reading all of this - the answer is unfortunately - each to his own.  My Ding stats can be awesome on some games and shocking on others.  What I found to work is to create a Zen-like relaxed state of mind, then dings appear - I know for a fact that if a definite thought intrudes while the meter bar is in the "zone" such as - "Dont release too early" or "Whats for dinner?" then I will be way off the target line.  But if I maintain as close to a "blank" mind as possible, then dings will come.

One negative to this method is that it becomes very hard to click anywhere other than the ding.  Example, you need to ding early for a slight hook or to counter wind, then your mind is focussed on that thought - and not on the Zen state - so mishits are more common when I am trying not to hit the ding.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 2:43 PM

The only thing that keeps my mind blank (well blanker than usual) is beer.  Sadly that method leads to everything getting very complicated, and subsequently shots shooting off all the place :)..oh and beer spilt.....

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Mar 25 2013 3:24 PM

I'm with you mate!

And while it's not sure to improve your shots, it certainly improves your bad shot acceptance ratio.

True?

• NIckO310
    7 Posts
    Tue, Mar 26 2013 8:46 AM

i agree with this approach, i recently started playing here on wgt and thats how i play.. possibly because in real golf i never try to just hit the ball straight, always playing a cut or draw or something, normally when i try to actually hit a straight shot it ends up being a bad pull/push.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2013 12:10 PM

Jimbog1964:
    Be interesting if any drummers report in.  They have great beat and I wonder if their success rate is higher.

This was my first comment when I tried this game for the first time: "There is no rhythm!"

I do not think a drummer, or anyone with rhythm feeling, has any use for it here, unfortunately. Since real golf is a lot about fluent motions and feeling, I was very disappointed that this game is just about eye-hand coordination.

You can make a real golf swing with your eyes closed.

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2013 12:42 PM

This is my theory,

1.When I aim to miss I will always ding.

2.When I aim to ding I will always miss.

Guaranteed.   Hope that helps.

Sal.

• jggntexas
    1 Posts
    Wed, May 8 2013 1:33 PM

I also heard that there are different kinds of a mouse for different kinds of games. Any suggestions on certain types of a gaming mouse?

RSS