Sandbagging Change

Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:03 AM (162 replies)
  • pjctas0822
    4,551 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 10:27 PM

hpurey:

WGTpizza:
    We are wracking our brains trying to come up with solutions to this problem

How about,  tee boxes chosen based on the driver a player has in their inventory.  

Now there is an idea !

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 10:43 PM

Games4Ever71:

lee22sharon:

For any and all concerned with inappropriate representation of abilities I would suggest that through due diligence be performed before playing anyone for credits that you do not know.

This is simple common sense.

Before you label someone as misrepresenting their true playing abilities, be able to prove it with facts, not rumor or innuendo!

Case in point:  Level 93, (45,000 to Level 94), Tour Master, Over 1500 rounds, active member since 12/09, still a hole in one, double eagle virgin, could have purchased even better equipment than I presently use, Never QUIT!, will play a round with anyone any where, unless you are a QUITTER! or it is a 30 second clock.

With this information available to anyone who chose to review my Profile page, how is it possible for this person be thrown into the category of Sandbagger?  Yet in this forum entry 1 know it all legend has done so.

I think whatever steps WGT is taking to help ease a major concern of those players who make unwise choices in who they play for credits with, is commendable, BUT I think a real good dose of common sense should be required.  My Nickle!

Sandbagger to people on this has so many different reasons to how they are sandbaggers it getting tiresome. All you have to do is say something in this forum, and you could called a sandbagger. You could be playing just as good as you possibly can, and still be called a sandbagger. No matter what you can do, and still be called a sandbagger. Go ahead tear my post apart. Its normal for this forum.

hmmm, nothing to tear apart we agree, your nickle this time.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 10:55 PM

hpurey:

WGTpizza:

How about,  tee boxes chosen based on the driver a player has in their inventory.  

That should stop the sale of longer hitting clubs overnight if they have no advantage.

• dflop
    1,877 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 10:56 PM

hpurey:

WGTpizza:

Great idea , top driver back pegs in credit games .

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 11:04 PM

WGTwildcat:

In response to WGT player feedback about sandbagging (misrepresenting one’s true ability to gain advantage by playing at a lower tier from closer tee boxes), WGT is now using more than just ranked stroke play scores to  determine each player’s average score and appropriate tier ranking.

For obvious reasons, WGT is not sharing exact details of these changes, but they include factoring in scores from players who perform well in tournaments and challenge games for credits.

We still encourage the community’s feedback on Sandbagging, but believe this is an important step to reducing the practice and keeping the game fair.

I threw this idea out on the forums a long time ago.  Received some return entries both constructive and not.  Here it is again:  There are basically two types of players here, those you will frequently play for credits/prizes, and those who do not or can not.

For those who will and do play for credits/prizes a separate form of, and or, manner of, controlling the averages should be researched and put into effect.

For those who do not participate, what we have now seems fine.  I invite comments.  my nickle again.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 12:53 AM

lee22sharon:

I threw this idea out on the forums a long time ago.  

Of course you did. Perhaps you would be so kind as to provide us with a link to this gem of your's.

• downthecundy
    20 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 6:41 AM

well i guess ive been a victim of this new scoring system,played a matchplay and on completion my tier advanced from amateur to pro ! considering my record is at best average,i can only assume that i have been victimised purely on my choice of country club .having played very few ranked rounds,i have never won or even placed within the first 10 of any tournament and my career earnings were $5 + at the time my tier advanced. I would appreciate a response from any wgt admin regarding why i was targetted.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 8:40 AM

piztaker:

hpurey:

WGTpizza:

That should stop the sale of longer hitting clubs overnight if they have no advantage.

True,  which is what makes this such a difficult problem to fix for WGT.   How can they make it work but not lose any money.  

I get it though,  they are a business and need/want to have the income , but us players want a fair'ish playing field.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 9:07 AM

Tee boxes based on what is in your garage and not what is in your bag at the golf course doesn't work for a lot of people. As a purely recreational player I may buy a high level club and only dabble with it from time to time. Why should I be forced to sell it at a big loss in order to tee off from the tees appropriate for my skill and the equipment I am using? Better to make me tee off from the long tees only when it is in the bag.

Most appropriate is to have everyone tee off from the tees matching the tier of the most advanced player in the field if it is to be an automated decision by the WGT game setup system. Otherwise, just let the host make the tee decision as the game is set up. Give the host the option of a "specific tee", "tee appropriate to each person's tier" or "all tee off from the most advanced person in the field's tee".

• PAT3361
    50 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 9:25 AM

just read through most of the comments here regarding sanbaggers and people complaining because ( I assume) they ae playing matches for credits and losing to lower tiered players, so there initial reaction is they have been sanbagged!!!! if they had won the match would they have been on complaining about sandbagging????

As a few players with apparrent common sense have mentioned the simple solution is not to play for credits, I've been playing for 2 yr now still trying to get to tour master (getting closer now at last lol) i am a member of a great very well run CC (quitters not welcome) and have never played anyone for credits and never will, its that simple, the clue should also be in the challenge itself, if an amateur or pro challenged me to a game for credits one look at his level and one look at mine would tell me all i need to know, polite response would be NO THANKS!

So all this talk about putting members who happen to have spent money on better equipiment ie: driver's  to back tees etc is utter nonsense, i play the game for recreational fun and enjoyment, which to be honst wgt with its many issues try hard to spoli!!! if as i progress through the ranks and betterequipment becomes available why should I and others by having the advantages of the new equipment taken away. the challenge to the game of golf is in how low a score you can shoot, how may birdie putts or eagle putts you cn sink, not how many CREDITS you can win!!!

I will continue to play the gae for what it is a fun recreational past time thats as frustrating at times as the real thing!!! THATS GOLF!!

Perhaps this is not the time or place to mention this but finally, on the isse of tee boxes why cant wgt give us the option of say 3 spots to choose from on the tee, I know when I play real golf I dont tee up in the middle of every tee box, once you fctor in wind, shape of fairway etc that determines the teeing up spot for me.

RSS