Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tough-It-Out VT September event: Chambers Bay

rated by 0 users
Fri, Nov 13 2015 5:25 AM (110 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2015 7:58 AM

Heads up... the September Tough-It-Out event will start tomorrow Friday, September 11th.

PLEASE NOTE: to be eligible for Prizes, there are now NEW Club Proof Requirements (which we started last month). To win a Leaderboard (top 5) or Stats Prize, you must show proof of clubs used in one of the following 3 ways:

1) Video Proof (see post below for details and example);

2) Greenshot with Club Bag Hover (with 3H or 3W in avatar's hand, and the other one, 3W or 3H, hovered over in the bag, with the fully visible Bag providing evidence of SW and LW);    (see post below for details and example)

3) 4 Greenshots showing 3W, 3H, SW & LW   (see post below for details and example)

Please read the details below BEFORE playing your round.

*** To be in the running for any prizes, you must take and post either a VIDEO record or SCREEN SHOTS with PROOF OF CLUBS used, along with both f9 & b9 CARDS and all the STATS!!!!! (see posts below for details) ***

----------------------------------------------

TOURNEY OPENS Friday 9/11

R1 runs Fri 9/11 - Thu 9/17; R2 runs Fri 9/18 - Thu 9/24

*** LEADERBOARD & ENTRY LINK is posted here ***

(and tourney will also be listed in the official WGT tourney list in the Game Client)

Here are the tournament dates and conditions (so you can all get some practice in!).

R1 :: Fri 9/11 to Thu 9/17 ::

18 holes; Chambers Bay; Blue (Easy) tees, High Wind, Champ13 greens, Default pins, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

R2 :: Fri 9/18 to Thu 9/24 ::

18 holes; Chambers Bay; White (Medium) tees, Mod wind, Tourney12 greens, Default pins, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

Please do remember to take care equipping your bag properly ahead of play (i.e. before clicking on the link to enter):

This tournament is only to be played with the full Starter Club set:

Starter Driver,

Starter 3W,

Starter 3H,

Starter Sand Wedge,

Starter Lob Wedge,

Starter Iron Set,

Starter Putter,

and Starter Ball.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2015 7:59 AM

<reserved for TIO History>

INTRODUCTION & HISTORY:

After the success of the holiday special at the beginning of the year, A Bandon Hope, and the six follow-up tourneys @ RSG in Feb, Kiawah in March, Bethpage in April, Congressional in May, Pinehurst in June, and St Andrews and Oakmont in August, the Tough-It-Out VT bandwagon moves on to Chambers Bay (to correspond with the official VT there this month). 

Prior 2015 events: 

Jan: A Bandon Hope  (LB)

Feb: Tough-It-Out VT Feb event: Royal St. George's  (LB)

Mar: Tough-It-Out VT Mar event: Kiawah Island  (LB)

Apr: Tough-It-Out VT Apr event: Bethpage Black  (LB)

May: Tough-It-Out VT May event: Congressional  (LB)

Jun: Tough-It-Out VT May event: Pinehurst #2  (LB(shown in WGT tourney list)

Aug: Tough-It-Out VT catch-up July event: St Andrews (LB)  (shown in WGT tourney list)

Aug: Tough-It-Out VT August event: Oakmont  (LB)  (shown in WGT tourney list)

Tough-It-Out competitions have run for several years as community organized events here on WGT (see example here). The Tough-It-Out concept is all about trying to mimic the hardest conditions in Major Championship golf, giving us the challenge of trying to tackle the toughest courses in a manner similar to that faced by the top pros. Par will be a great score! 

By using Starter Clubs and Balls only, and doing it with Uneven Lies we believe this is the hardest test on WGT, and it's one that's a level playing field (pun intended) for all participants. 

WGT is offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 players in this 2 single-play rounds event (note requirements for prizes below). Thanks Shoe! Good luck! 

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK is HERE (event starts Fri 9/11: 1st Rnd ends Thu 9/17)

*** Remember, to be in the running for any prizes, you must take and post either a VIDEO record or SCREEN SHOTS with PROOF OF CLUBS used, along with both f9 & b9 CARDS and all the STATS!!!!! (see posts below for details) ***

The tourney is open to all tiers and levels. We'll all be using the same clubs, balls, green speeds, and lies.

PLEASE NOTE: the tourney link (when live from Friday on) will take you directly to the game client, and if you do not have full Starter Clubs and Ball equipped, you'll get a warning message. Shoe sets these up as equipment-restricted events: please make sure you have only the original free Starter clubs equipped. 

We really do want to encourage newbies to give it a go. It's a great chance for new players (who may be more familiar than old fogies with these clubs) to pit themselves against the best on WGT, and for the experienced player, it's a opportunity to revisit the fun of playing the game without the pressure of needing to make a birdie on almost every hole. 

Prizes:

WGTdbloshoe is generously offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 finishers across two completed rounds.

Other prizes will be announced below shortly, depending on what donations come in. Please feel free to offer something if you are so moved! As with prior Tough-It-Out events there'll be special prizes in different categories. And, of course, it would be great if any participants are willing and able to Twitch their rounds.

Any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread.

Thanks, and have fun!

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK is HERE

(event starts Fri 9/11: 1st Rnd ends Thu 9/17)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:00 AM

<reserved for prizes info>

PRIZES:

WGTdbloshoe will award a sleeve to the top 5 players on the final leaderboard (provided they post proof of clubs used along with cards and stats, for each round)

In addition... there will be Special Prizes, which will be announced below (and are subject to the same requirements as the leaderboard prizes).

If anyone wants to be a sponsor, or has another particular prize they think should be offered, please let me know.

Possible Special Prizes: these are the categories we've offered in the past. Some or all, may be on offer this time depending on sponsorships.

1) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation  (tiebreaker: AveDistancePin)         SPONSORED: Corwyn

2) Closest Ave. Distance to the Hole               SPONSORED: Corwyn

3) Greatest overall total distance made putts.             SPONSORED: alcaucin     

4) Longest putt made         SPONSORED: DaveDwingdale

5) 'Sticking With It Award' 

6) Least Number of Bogeys or Worse 

7) Most Number of Birdies or Better  SPONSORED: fmagnets

8) Most 1-Putt Saves (as determined by scorecard)   SPONSORED: FluffyGreens

9) Best Average Scrambling Award (as determined by stats)   SPONSORED: alcaucin

Stats spreadsheet for special prizes for Chambers Bay TIO event here

SPONSORS:

so far...

fmagnets:
    I'd like to offer a sleeve for most birdies or better. Tiebreaker is most eagles, then fewest over-par holes.

Corwyn:
    Also, I'm going to throw in a sleeve prize for each of the following:

1) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation   SPONSORED: Corwyn

2) Closest Ave. Distance to the Hole        SPONSORED: Corwyn

alcaucin:
    3) Greatest overall total distance made putts.

Stick me down for #3 C.

Andy

DaveDwingdale:
    Corwyn, if nobody has donated a sleeve for total length of putts made I would like to do that now.  (or else a sleeve for another prize worthy stat of your choosing)

Dave

Corwyn:
    Looks like Andy just beat you to that prize sponsorship, Dave... but I'll put you down for Longest Putt instead.

alcaucin:
    Noticed we haven't a prize cat for best scrambling stats over 2 rounds....

an integral part of good scoring in these comps, so.....

I'll sponsor that cat too..

SPECIAL PRIZES:

Remember: To be in the running for special prizes, please note you will need to share video or screenshots proving clubs used, and your full scorecard and stats.

Tips on how to take screenshots are here: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ and here.

This Video shows specifically how to make the required Greenshot image and this one shows what to do if you wish to submit Video Evidence instead.

If anyone's having difficulty with Hovering over the bag for the Greenshot image, please see this post.

And, here's my own How-To video on Posting Screenshots to the Forum thread: https://youtu.be/PWC9zotwl2w

My recommended free hosting service is: http://postimage.org/ -- free, and no signup required) which will provide you with a 'direct link' which you paste in after clicking the 'Insert Media' button above. Please note though that images must be under 1MB in size to get the Direct Link to appear.

---------------------------------------

Again, any donations of prizes will be gratefully accepted! Don't be shy... !

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:01 AM

<reserved for Video Proof information>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO PROOF OF CLUBS USED:

If you have video or streaming capability, please do share a recording of your round, and include in the recording a view of the equipment profile [click on your player name, then on the Equipment tab during the round]. Please also include a quick note of the right time point to find this information.

Alternatively, if your set-up doesn't allow you to record while playing without making the meter unmanageable, you can record a tiny segment of video just before the conclusion of the round that will satisfy the verification requirements.

With my old Mac, I can't stream or even run any of the fancy recording software needed for Twitch etc, but even old Macs do come with QuickTime Player which offers a simple Screen Recording option. Look and see if your computer has something similar.

You can offer video evidence of clubs used that need only be a few seconds long.

Start your recording while on the last green with your current score and conditions visible: click on your player name, then on Equipment, which will display your club set: please click through each club in the bag. Close the Equipment profile and then quickly visit Menu > Scorecard to click through B9, F9, and all 4 Stats tabs before closing back out. Then stop the recording, and save it somewhere. You can now complete your round without any impact on CPU memory due to the recording process as you won't need it while playing any shots. Upload this brief clip to YouTube or similar and post the link in the Forum thread.

Here's an example of what is required as Video Evidence: https://youtu.be/zyaoo2aqVZ4

Note: if you have video capability, and sink your final putt with a sudden realization that you failed to get the screenshot or take the video earlier, then you can still prove you've used the right clubs. Start a continuous recording from the final scorecard/stats page and then, on the return to the main menu, immediately show the clubs one by one that are in your bag, either as Mags has done just with a hover over or by clicking on equipment and running through each club (as I did after my R1).

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:01 AM

<reserved for screenshot examples and tips: #1 with Hover>

Below is an example from a practice round for a TIO tourney of the screenshot postings required...

Things to note:

• I've pasted each separate item together (using a photo-editing program), but you can submit them as separate images if that's easier.

• Please only resize down for forum posting to 450px width: please also retain ability for us to right-click/open image to see in legible size. And please also leave the pics active: don't delete them from your photo-service account before the prize-giving is concluded Thanks!

• The first pic, a Greenshot on the Last Hole achieves the following:

1. Confirms Wind and Green Speed conditions, and by switching to Full/Chip/Pitch shot mode displays Lie conditions (confirming Uneven Lies). (We just switch to a club other than the putter in order to show the conditions as best as possible: we switch back to hit the actual final shot!)

2. Shows score after 17th hole, which can be matched to scorecard. [Please note: I will accept a Greenshot (in the format required) on any of the last 4 holes. Final hole is ideal, but for the forgetful, any of the last 4 holes is OK]

3. Proves that Starter ball was used.

4. Confirms clubs used during the round (as far as is possible given the constraints presented by WGT's programming).

Our best method to achieve this is to do what we've dubbed a "BagShot" - switch to Full/Chip/Pitch mode on the final green (or any of the last few holes), and hover over the bag before doing a keystroke screengrab.

IMPORTANT: I have selected the 3H (which is the highlighted club in the numerical club list), but have then hovered over the 3W to enable it to display in the bottom row along with its distance rating 205yds. This offers proof for both of those clubs in one screenshot. The 3H graphic is also displayed as the club in the avatar's hands, offering further verification (note, one can choose a camera view to best display the avatar and club: in this instance I moved the view round until I got one that showed the club in hand as clearly as possible).

Here's a brief video showing how I made the Greenshot image below.

[The Hover over followed by screengrab can be tricky for someone new to it: on a Mac, you just click Command-Shift-4. For Windows, please see this post.]

If you absolutely can't manage to do the Hover over, you can provide 4 separate versions of the Greenshot, with 3W, 3H, SW and LW shown in each. See post immediately below for example.

For eligibility for prizes, don't forget to also post screenshots of all stats tabs. 

How-To video: Stitching together your Greenshot, Scorecards, & Stats images.

How-To video: Uploading your final pic to an image-hosting service & posting it.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:04 AM

<reserved for screenshot post with 4 Clubs>

If your system doesn't allow you to do a screengrab successfully while Hovering over the bag, you can provide 4 separate versions of the Greenshot, with 3W, 3H, SW and LW shown in each.

These are the only clubs that matter for Club Proof!

Again, please do your Greenshot on the last hole (to provide best match with the scorecard). I will accept a Greenshot (in the format required) on any of the last 4 holes. Final hole is best, but for the forgetful, any of the last 4 holes is OK]

Obviously, don't forget to include the card and stats as well!

-----------------------------------------------

How-To video: Stitching together your Greenshot, Scorecards, & Stats images.

How-To video: Uploading your final pic to an image-hosting service & posting it.

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:04 AM

The Future of Tough-It-Out

I considered making this post as a separate thread, but didn't want to distract from all the other great things going on in Community-Run Tourneys right now, so am just putting it in here along with this event. 

By posting it, I'm hoping to offer some transparency around why I'm asking for the Club Proof, and why it matters to the integrity of these events.

I do realize it's an extra burden to take these screenshots, and that's why I'm trying to minimize what we're asking for, and why I'm providing examples and How-To videos to make it as easy as possible. If you are feeling grumpy about why we're asking for this level of proof, please read this post first to try and understand the pros and cons of the alternatives. And if you have a better suggestion of how I might run these events, please feel free to share it!

Thanks,

Corwyn

-------------------

The Problem:

WGT's restricted-club programming doesn't work properly. Back in spring 2015, various reports in each tournament that was set up indicated something was wrong. Shoe kindly set up a test for us, and a number of volunteers gave their time to help arrive at a diagnosis for WGT of where the flaws were.

Our findings were passed on but we're not confident right now (and nor is Shoe) that WGT will devote engineer time to fixing the issue (despite having put a lot of programming time into developing the feature in the first place).

The restricted-club settings are open to abuse, and it's pretty much public knowledge now (through so many postings in the tournament Forum threads) that anyone who wants to cheat can do so (and even how they can do it).

So, for these events to have a future, I have what I see as 4 choices in terms of how to run them:

1. Return to original Tough-It-Out method (from 2+ years ago) of playing as Multiplayer only, with sign-ups through the Forum thread. 

Pros:

players play in twosomes and verify that each other is using the right clubs (although even this is theoretically open to abuse if two players collude).

Cons: 

• many fewer entrants (i.e. 20-30, compared to 350-800+ approx through the Game Client tourney list).

• much, much more work for the organizer in setting up Time Availability Charts, scheduling pairs, and chasing players to submit times, and get their rounds played.

• same issues faced with card screenshots, and greenshots proving to the rest of the field that correct conditions were met, and clubs used.

• challenge of getting multiplayer games finished, with all the various glitches going on right now.

2. Running the event as single-player with Shoe's assistance in setting up tournament.

This could be done either just as a private tournament, accessed only via a link through the Forum Thread (as the TIO Monthly Events were from January through May), or publicly available through the full Tournament List in the Game Client/Tournament page (as was done for us by Shoe in June, and then for both events in August).

a) Private Link through Forum Only:

Pros: 

• though it's a smaller group of players, anyone finding and using the link to play is more likely to be an honest participant!

Cons:

• … but with prizes on the line, would still need players to post proof of clubs used. So, in effect just reducing the field without avoiding the club proof problem.

b) Public through Game Client Tournament List

Pros:  

• this vastly increases the participation, introducing 100s of players to this game format.

• people can play in their own time, no need for pairing up, or to navigate the disconnect challenges with multiplayer right now.

Cons: 

• Players have to go to some trouble to learn about screenshots or short video proof in order to be eligible for prizes. However, players can choose to do this, or just enjoy playing the events for fun.

3. Do not require Club Proof, but only offer Prizes to those players that formally 'Claim' the prize in the forum thread, on the understanding that by 'claiming' they are making a public commitment to the community that they participated honestly. This is the method I used in the June event, when two of the players on the leaderboard opted not to claim, and one was exposed as having used wrong clubs. I don't like this option, because it seems likely to lead to witch-hunt behavior, and for those of us who genuinely want to know if our score is competitive, it leads to more questions than answers. Back in June, it also meant time spent monitoring certain players' Profile pages by a team of volunteers (not really how we want to spend our time here). 

4. No Prizes at all

I've considered this option in response to player suggestions that if there were no prizes, we wouldn't have to worry about proof of clubs. However, I think there are two flaws with this: 1. if there were no prizes on the line, it defeats the goal of having strong players compete in a level-playing field event. Those of us who try and do well in this format are hoping to do so against the best players out there. So, no prizes would limit the participants and limit the submission of any stats either (which is a large part of what I find interesting about the events, to see how different players have tackled the course-management challenges each event poses)…

and 2. The best players still wouldn't know if they'd been beaten by someone playing honestly or not. For many top players, it's not about winning a sleeve or two, it's about the pride of winning the event. Offering prizes and asking for screenshots is our best way of establishing if the top scores are genuine.

--------------

So, it's sad that the Restricted-Club Programming doesn't work as it should, but until WGT put in the extra effort to complete the job they initiated when programming this feature in the first place, it seems to me that the best solution is to continue with the 2 b) option, keeping it as a public event through the tourney list and offering prizes as an incentive to see proof of honest participation. 

Thanks for reading,

Corwyn

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Sep 10 2015 8:00 PM

Thanks C. Now everyone knows what they are doing (and if it's not stepping on anyone's toes), I'd like to offer a sleeve for most birdies or better. Tiebreaker is most eagles, then fewest over-par holes. If this is someone's usual prize, then I'll take fewest over-par holes.

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Fri, Sep 11 2015 5:11 AM

Had a great round going but 3 holes on b9 ruined it for me with an awesome +10 on those and with an amazing 8 on 17th. So i couldnt be bothered to do any posting. 

Had fun playing until then though.

GL to the rest!

• HoylakeHunter
    904 Posts
    Fri, Sep 11 2015 6:27 AM

forgot MOFO club shots, well p*ssed !  :-((

RSS