Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT May event: Congressional

Fri, Jun 5 2015 10:42 AM (80 replies)
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 4:16 PM

Heads up... our next monthly VT Tough-It-Out event begins a week today, Thursday 5/14 @ Congressional!

TOURNEY OPENS Thursday 5/14

R1 runs Thu 5/14 - Wed 5/20; R2 runs Thu 5/21 - Wed 5/27

LEADERBOARD & ENTRY LINK is here

After the success of the holiday special at the beginning of the year, A Bandon Hope, and the three follow-up tourneys @ RSG in Feb, Kiawah in March, and Bethpage in April, the Tough-It-Out VT bandwagon moves on to Congressional for May. We are offering a monthly TIO Starters-only tourney running parallel to the VT. 

Prior 2015 events: 

Jan: A Bandon Hope  (LB)

Feb: Tough-It-Out VT Feb event: Royal St. George's  (LB)

Mar: Tough-It-Out VT Mar event: Kiawah Island  (LB)

Apr: Tough-It-Out VT Apr event: Bethpage Black  (LB)

Tough-It-Out competitions have run for several years as community organized events here on WGT (see example here). The Tough-It-Out concept is all about trying to mimic the hardest conditions in Major Championship golf, giving us the challenge of trying to tackle the toughest courses in a manner similar to that faced by the top pros. Par will be a great score! 

By using Starter Clubs and Balls only, and doing it with Uneven Lies we believe this is the hardest test on WGT, and it's one that's a level playing field (pun intended) for all participants. 

WGT is offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 players in this 2 single-play rounds event (Thanks Shoe!). Good luck! 

FYI: We had hoped that these events would be official tourneys visible to all players through the game client, but apparently there are some programming issues with that because of the restricted club settings... so it will be accessed just via a link to be posted here: so, please help spread the word with friends and your Country Club:

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK is HERE (event starts Thu 5/14: 1st Rnd ends Wed 5/20)

***Remember, to be in the running for any of the special prizes (see next post below), take SCREEN SHOTS of both f9 & b9 CARDS and all the STATS!!!!!***

The tourney is open to all tiers and levels. We'll all be using the same clubs, balls, green speeds, and lies.

PLEASE NOTE: the tourney link (when live from Thursday on) will take you directly to the game client, and if you do not have full Starter Clubs and Ball equipped, you'll get a warning message. Shoe sets these up as equipment-restricted events: please make sure you have only the original free Starter clubs equipped. 

We really do want to encourage newbies to give it a go. It's a great chance for new players (who may be more familiar than old fogies with these clubs) to pit themselves against the best on WGT, and for the experienced player, it's a opportunity to revisit the fun of playing the game without the pressure of needing to make a birdie on almost every hole.

Here are the tournament dates. Conditions to be confirmed early next week, but I'm thinking of the tips for R1 followed by the easy tees for R2, but with compensating conditions.

R1 :: Thu 5/14 to Wed 5/20 ::

18 holes; Congressional Country ClubBlack (Champ) tees, Low Wind, VFast10 greens, Easy pins, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

R2 :: Thu 5/21 to Wed 5/27 ::

18 holes; Congressional Country ClubRed (Easy) tees, High wind, Champ13 greens, Hard pins, Uneven Lies, equipment restricted to Starter Clubs and Ball

As before, I will ask Shoe if it is possible to set it up so that everyone gets the same set of Easy pins for R1, and that everyone also gets the same set of the different Hard pins for R2.

Prizes:

WGTdbloshoe is generously offering a sleeve (of good balls) to the top 5 finishers across two completed rounds.

Other prizes will be announced below shortly, depending on what donations come in. Please feel free to offer something if you are so moved! As with prior Tough-It-Out events, we want to encourage sharing of descriptions and snapshotted scorecards and stats, so there'll be special prizes in different categories. And, of course, it would be great if any participants are willing and able to Twitch their rounds.

Any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread.

Thanks, and have fun!

TOURNAMENT ENTRY LINK HERE!

(event starts Thu 5/14: 1st Rnd ends Wed 5/20)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do remember to take care equipping your bag properly ahead of play (i.e. before clicking on the link to enter):

This tournament is only to be played with the full Starter Club set:

Starter Driver,

Starter 3W,

Starter 3H,

Starter Sand Wedge,

Starter Lob Wedge,

Starter Iron Set,

Starter Putter,

and Starter Ball.

Edit: 5/19/15: Just in case it isn't obvious to everyone: FocusBoost has no place in a Tough-It-Out event.

The whole point of these tournaments is that we are all experiencing the same conditions, with the same clubs, balls... & the same challenging meter speed.

I hope and trust that no-one will try and use FocusBoost in these events. Thank you!

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 4:18 PM

PRIZES:

WGTdbloshoe will award a sleeve to the top 5 on the final leaderboard

In addition... there are Special Prizes, announced below.

If anyone wants to be a sponsor, or has another particular prize they think should be offered, please let me know.

Special Prizes:

1) Longest Drive    SPONSORED: bhoese

2) Longest putt made.     SPONSORED: bhoese

3) Greatest Improvement on Total Distance Putts from R1 to R2      SPONSORED: bhoese

4) Highest overall percentage of Greens in Regulation      SPONSORED: Corwyn

5) Closest Ave. Distance to the Hole       SPONSORED: Ianzzz

6) Greatest overall total distance made putts.       SPONSORED: JoeMaverick

7) 'Sticking With It Award' (highest scoring finisher that posts all cards&stats) SPONSORED: Ianzzz

Other potential ideas include: ctth on a particular hole, holes-in-oneLeast Number of Bogeys or WorseMost Number of Birdies, etc, etc.

-----------------------------

Ianzzz:
    I would be happy to sponsor two sleeves this month. One is the same as last month for me, Ave distance to pin. As an idea, I use this in my cc, the highest scoring player who does makes all the effort to put in the scorecards etc. - I call it the "Sticking with it" award.

JoeMaverick:
    I will give a sleeve this month. You can choose the Prize ;)

bhoese:
    I'll sponsor three sleeves, one each for: Longest drive; Longest putt; Greatest improvement in total distance of putts made from R1 to R2

-----------------------------

SPECIAL PRIZES:

Remember: To be in the running for special prizes, please note you will need to share screenshots of your scorecard and stats.

Tips on how to take screenshots are here: http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/ and here.

My recommended free hosting service is: http://postimage.org/ -- free, and no signup required) which will provide you with a 'direct link' which you paste in after clicking the 'Insert Media' button above.

---------------------------------------

Again, any donations of prizes will be gratefully accepted! Don't be shy... !

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Thu, May 7 2015 4:19 PM

<reserved>

Note: I have not forgotten about the plan from last month's event to investigate the club-restriction issues with the tourney set-up. 

Shoe is setting up a test in the next few days, and I will follow up with those who kindly offered to test their equipment inventory.

Thanks!

--------------------

Also, look out for another thread coming in the next day or two concerning the promised Tough-It-Out Ryder Cup competition, which I would now like to stage @ Chambers Bay (since we can only play it in UEL right now in multiplayer mode, so why not have a fun event to get to know our way around)!

Possible date window is 5/16-5/29, while we will all be familiar with these clubs.

• Ianzzz
    6,345 Posts
    Fri, May 8 2015 4:03 PM

Hi Corwyn

I would be happy to sponsor two sleeves this month. One is the same as last month for me, Ave distance to pin

As an idea, I use this in my cc, the highest scoring player who does makes all the effort to put in the scorecards etc. - I call it the "Sticking with it" award. What do you think? (Will certainly be outside the top 5 which I think was in mind last time)

Thanks for your efforts, looking forward to playing again

Ian

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Fri, May 8 2015 11:06 PM

That's great Ian! Thank you so much :)

And I love your idea of the "Sticking With It" Award. In fact, IIRC, we've had one very like it in the past in our old Tough-It-Out multiplayer events, which I think we called the "Toughing-It-Out" award.

Ave. Distance to the Pin can also be won by a non-top5 player, if they really put their mind to it. With clever preparation, someone could plan on avoiding GIRs completely except when approaching with a short iron from a good lie. The minimum requirement is 1 green per 18 to end up with a valid result in the stats. It's just hard to have the discipline to play that way... but if there's no chance of winning anything else, maybe someone will give it a try!

• JoeMaverick
    843 Posts
    Sat, May 9 2015 4:41 AM

I will give a sleeve this month. You can choose the Prize ;)

• Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2015 11:40 AM

Thank you so much Joe! I'll think about which one to assign to you...

---------------------------------

Just want to give a public thank you to fmagnets, bhoese, and mkrizan86, who graciously volunteered to test the club-restriction issues with a sample tourney that Shoe set up for us. 

Together we've nailed it down to a clear identification of the problem, which we've forwarded on to Shoe to send to the engineers. I'm hoping they can address it quickly, in time for this month's event.

If not, we will still proceed with the tourney, but with the full expectation that no participants would seek to gain any advantage by trying to equip anything than the stated full-Starter gear. I will ask that players take particular care changing out their bag prior to the event. Thank you!

---------------------------------

And thank you too to Icon for helping to rescue the formatting in this thread! Something had gone wrong with the quotation used in the previous post.
  • Corwyn
    2,410 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2015 6:54 PM

... and, in case people haven't seen it yet, the thread is up for a Tough-It-Out Ryder Cup @ Chambers Bay, to take place 2nd half of May. 

Please check it out, and sign up if you're interested!

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2015 7:06 PM

:-)

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2015 9:07 PM

I'll sponsor three sleeves, one each for:

Longest drive

Longest putt

Greatest improvement in total distance of putts made from R1 to R2

RSS