Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Will You Harm WGT by using Ad Blockers?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 28 2010 5:25 AM (56 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 8:13 AM

VanHalenLover:

No busting me on the Packers Andy, I am one of the few around these parts hoping for the true colors of their 'draft-only' gm to show once again, and get him one step closer to getting run out of town. I won't be a Packer fan again until his 'train has left the station'.....

He is great financially for the team, but unwilling to delve into free agency or trade to get this team over the top. The sooner he is gone, the better.

Watching the Packers-Giants yesterday and seeing Woodson reminded me he was a terrific free agent signing by the Packers a few years ago.  Who was the GM that signed him?

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 10:06 AM

That was one of Ted's early FA pickups, and a darn good one. You will have a hard time finding a valuable FA or Trade acquisition since then. Sure there are still many on the team, but none who contribute enough to call it a decent acquisition. There are some glaring holes on this team that have not been addresses in FA, trade or the draft. Funny thing is, Ted was part of the Packers back in the day when FA's of the likes of Reggie White and Desmond Howard made the difference in their super bowl runs. Seems he forgot how important that 'stuff' can be in the overall equation.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 1:55 PM

VanHalenLover:
    There are some glaring holes on this team that have not been addresses in FA, trade or the draft.

Speaking as an outsider looking at the Packers to me it looks like Thompson has had great success in the draft.  Rodgers and Matthews for two.  If you were Chairman of the Board of the Packers what would you do differently?

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 5:05 PM

Thompson, like almost every other GM, has had some success stories in the draft. I'd put in him in the top 25-30% for draft specific successes. He has also had some poor picks, and passed on some great talent that was picked up by other teams. Nothing in and of itself to be too concerned about, but also nothing to put him on a pedestal over.

My beef with Teddy is his inability to fill key needs using free agency and trade, something he has been a long and vocal opponent of. The running game being the top of my list. This team is in a position to strike, and with a couple of key moves could be the cream of the division, and the NFC. The Lions and Bears have made some great moves and have improved dramatically, very recently, while Ted has sat on his hands and done nothing but anticipate the next draft class. If it weren't for the unraveling of the Vikings, this division would be up for grabs for years to come, by all 4 teams.

And yes, I know they have been injury riddled this season, but 'what if's' don't cut it in my book.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 6:40 PM

VanHalenLover:
    The Lions and Bears have made some great moves and have improved dramatically, very recently, while Ted has sat on his hands and done nothing but anticipate the next draft class.

Julius Peppers for one FA signing by the Bears.

What would you do if you were Chairman of the Board?

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2010 7:11 PM

I'm assuming you mean the CEO andy? Remember this is a private team owned by the public, lol. A whole lot of people around these parts with worthless stock displayed proudly on their walls. Things around here aren't run like a normal franchise.

If it were me, I'd be sitting Ted down and giving him an ultimatum about filling the voids on this team while the iron is hot. I'd tell him to get over what ever it is blocking him from using free agency and trade to round out this roster. And I've give him one more year to do it. If he can't, then I'd split the role and allow him to stay on as draft coordinator, and bring someone in who knows a bit about FA/Trade.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 5:25 AM

VanHalenLover:
    I'm assuming you mean the CEO andy?

We're both right.  According to "Green Bay Packers Board of Directors" Mark Murphy  is President, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer. 

The difficulty I see with your approach to Thompson is getting agreement on what voids need to be filled.  I would hope the coach would provide input.

RSS