Forums

Help › Forums

Master Drivers: G10 vs R9

Tue, Jan 11 2011 8:03 AM (59 replies)
  • SWoods
    62 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:30 PM

chipshotcharlie:

I play to deliberately  miss the ding to draw and fade shots and love the R9 and would use the G10 the same way.But it amazes me to think you guys rely on dinging your shot every time.

CSC

Tried both approaches. Trouble is how much draw, how much fade? If it was a slower meter, I would try to control that like I did with my Rapture driver. With R9, I find it better trying to ding. Misses can be any side but the hope is they are not huge. And if you are strategic about choosing your aiming position, misses don't miss the fairway.

On reading Jake's post on the misses being close to the target with G10, would that not amount to the driver being more forgiving? The club ratings don't seem to suggest that so am not sure why that should be the case. I guess the R9 is not precise to start with and a miss on top of the already not precise driver explains it but it still seems puzzling. BTW, I have never had trouble with the R9 if I ding or am close to the ding. Trouble is I am way off at times - like 4-5 mm. Is the G10 better on those occasions?

A related question - To minimize the effect of side wind on drives, do people usually use no spin, back spin or top spin? I know backspin increases air time but does backspin also fight the side wind?

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:54 PM

you want know what driver to use? look in some of the best players on wgt golf bags. you won't find many ping drivers. as for sweetie pie saying 5yrds difference, i beg to differ on that. very simple good player longer driver no brainer, not talking about constantly knocking it in the 30/40 rough but for most 20/25 rough is no problem at all. thx JB

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 6:34 PM

jbenny11:
    as for sweetie pie saying 5yrds difference, i beg to differ on that.

Oh, Ok. If you wish to take the time you will discover my driving average to be in the very highest air of Master Players. If you wish to go further, you will discover that I have nothing to hide here in my ability. Don't be misguided or misdirected by anything I say as you may judge me by my average. Understand that I post everything. If I was after a sub 60 average I could have it before Sunday. 

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 8:55 AM

SWoods:
    On reading Jake's post on the misses being close to the target with G10, would that not amount to the driver being more forgiving? The club ratings don't seem to suggest that so am not sure why that should be the case. I guess the R9 is not precise to start with and a miss on top of the already not precise driver explains it but it still seems puzzling. BTW, I have never had trouble with the R9 if I ding or am close to the ding. Trouble is I am way off at times - like 4-5 mm. Is the G10 better on those occasions?

Precision outweighs forgiveness everyday of the week.  Just look at Rapture irons compared to G10s.  Raptures are extremely forgiving but often deviate from intended line.  The precision of the Ping Driver outweighs the half dot of forgiveness TM has over it.  Counter-intuitive but this is a cold hard fact.  That said, 4-5 pixel misses with Ping will likely find the rough same as the TM.  What I have found is that the Ping will stay truer on 1-2 pix misses and almost always go where intended on dings.  The TM often deviates as much 10 yards for me on dings , just ask the tree on BPB #2.

As for spin, any time you place any spin on a ball, mishits have a greater likelihood to deviate more severely. 

Done some comparisons while playing against opponents Ping driver VS TM.  With tailwind Ping has often outdriven TM but usually very close.  10+ headwinds hurt the Ping a bit and usually finds itself about 10 yards shorter than TM.  All that said, my male ego often finds me teeing off with the TM for those few extra yards but on average I would say that they are truly within the 5yds difference they are rated.

BP breakdown on Ping vs TM from my rudimentary observations

1. If I had a tailwind every hole the Ping wins on accuracy and equal distance every time.  Unfortunately in some quick tracking I have had roughly 30% more head winds than tails in last 10 rounds.
    2. Great on #2 to avoid left trees.  Haven't had one deviate into trees there yet.
    3. Great for finding fairway on #6 where TM often runs through right side.
    4. Hurts on #7 with any wind that doesn't favor toward the hole often making it unreachable in 2.  If wind is even slightly towards the hole it's no problem
    5. Even on #9 as it can carry bunker with 12+ tail same as TM.  Actually helps on the 20 tailwind because higher flight always carries the trap where TM sometimes deviates of gets knocked down by extreme winds.
    6. Disadvantage on #10 if 10-12 head wind as you will likely be playing 3iron or more to back pin where TM will most likely leave a 4iron.  20 headwind is a wash as you will be playing hybrid (if you carry one) or 3 wood will either driver.  Tail wind advantage goes to Ping for fairway accuracy.
    7. Great on #12 for keeping it in fairway with full BS.  Drive carries a long way and stops before running into right rough.
    8. Like Ping better on #13 because you can reach in 2 with same wind that TM driver can get you into position.  Also great for hitting fairway and avoiding right tree.
    9. #15 ad goes to Ping for finding fairway.  Same on #16 and #18.

All in all I have scored an average of 3 strokes better on BPB with Ping than TM.  I still play TM on every other course as I really like making eagles and added distance (even 5 yds) is a big plus.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 9:41 AM
    sp, sorry was'nt looking for argument, but driving distance only counts drives in fairway. i'm just saying i'd rather be in the first cut with a wedge in my hand, rather than in the fairway with a 8 iron. thx JB
  • jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:28 AM

jbenny11:
    sp, sorry was'nt looking for argument, but driving distance only counts drives in fairway. i'm just saying i'd rather be in the first cut with a wedge in my hand, rather than in the fairway with a 8 iron. thx JB

JB, Here to tell ya that the difference isn't 2 clubs.  More like .5 to 1 at most.  I know you love STA but lets do a MPC tonight on BPB.  I'll use Ping driver and you hit the TM.  Sounds fun to me.  Game on!  See you soon brother.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:25 PM

benny says uncle!!!!!!!

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 5:40 AM

Thanks for the detailed reply Jake!

• golferfrank63
    187 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 7:37 AM

335 best i have done

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Tue, Jan 11 2011 8:03 AM

After reading most of the posts on this thread, it seems many are comparing apples to oranges. There are 3 different TM drivers at least on the top end. The Tri-Max, the original R-9, and the New Master R-9. I have played with and against the 3 of those and the Ping G-10. My experience has been the new R-9 is the superior club. Regardless of what the pro shop ratings say, it is longer by far, my driving distance average has gone up 2-3 yds. in only about 3 weeks! The swing meter is actually slower than the old R-9, much slower than the Tri-Max, and about the same as the G-10. I have no trouble keeping it on the fairway, usually when i miss one its because i hit it too far! No doubt the G-10 is very accurate, and despite the rating, more forgiving. But 10-15 yds is too much to sacrifice, against the new R-9. My  2 cents.

RSS