Help › Forums

Short game woes

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 15 2010 1:44 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Darbous
    2 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2010 10:07 PM

With the caveat that I've only played this game for a day...

I've played a lot of different golf games since way back in the sega genesis and standup bar golf games...

I've been pretty good at most of them.

I started this game, and find that my long and medium games are what I expected out of a golf game.

The short game, however, putts, chips, and pitches seem to fail miserably.

Distances, aiming, and shaping seem to be completely irrelevant.  It seems that for any short shot, there is a 'magic' line, and if you don't hit that line, and perfectly, you're screwed.

So, if I'm doomed to miss 5 foot putts for all eternity, please let me know. Because, I'll just throw in the towel now and avoid the pain from banging my fists on my desktop...

Or if there's a secret that someone knows to not suck miserably with putting and chipping, I'd love to know it.  Because I'm nursing my knuckles at the moment too many of those 'perfect' shots that fall off line right at the very end...

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Feb 3 2010 10:46 PM

Been playing a solid month and cant putt to save my life!  

Many here can though, some are better at dinging the meter than others and then others have just put in the time and they're damn good and know the courses.

It wont come easy for most, part of why I'm still here *-) 

Welcome and check out the FAQ's over there for more on how to get better

-------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Darbous
    2 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 12:47 AM

ok

6 more rounds...

and basically, a putt under 10ft that isn't hit perfect misses...

I am a golfer in real life.  I find that hitting the long straight shot is a hell of a lot harder than hitting the 6 ft putt or the 8yd chip.

But in this game, you can shank the hell out of a 225yd drive and have it land in the fairway, but miss the mark on a short putt my a tiny amount and miss...

cmon guys.  this game looks great and plays great, until you get to the short shots...

I mean, I understand you're trying to sell stuff to people that suck like me...

But I'm not buying when the mechanic seems so screwed...

• g433a
    28 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 1:20 AM

Hopefully someone will come along and post links because I'm at work and don't really have time to find them, but there are short game & putting guides somewhere in the forums written by one of the better players here that are well worth reading.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:16 AM

http://wgt.com/forums/p/7840/49253.aspx       chipping

http://wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx                       putting

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:38 AM
    Actually I find that 10' and under putts to be quite easy. Give it some time Dar, read the help around here. While some of the physics on here may not make sense at first, most have a reason behind them.
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 8:33 AM

Darbous:

and basically, a putt under 10ft that isn't hit perfect misses...

I am a golfer in real life.  I find that hitting the long straight shot is a hell of a lot harder than hitting the 6 ft putt or the 8yd chip.

But in this game, you can shank the hell out of a 225yd drive and have it land in the fairway, but miss the mark on a short putt my a tiny amount and miss...

I'm going to have to agree with you on this basic sentiment since I rarely if ever go off the fairway even with bad misses and I rarely sink 6 - 8 foot putts!  

Chipping though with practice is no problem, I found getting better not an issue but IF I dont ding my putts, they do not go in, period, and I only ding say 3 out of 10.  I guess I need better balls to really slow down the meter (and a smoother meter, uh oh, can o' worms there LOL) 

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:26 AM

If you're having problems hitting the perfect line on putts and it's costing you strokes, then perhaps try to incorporate that into your putting strategy.

• Rhett78
    65 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 10:48 AM

Just my two cents worth. When it comes to chipping and pitching, always use backspin, and of course read the break of the green, which I'm sure you do. Second, when it comes to putting, I never move the aim. I aim my putts with the meter. Stopping it so far left or right of the perfect mark for the break. The only time I ding a putt is if it is straight. This might sound crazy, but it works for me, master with a 59.74 average. Hope I could be of some help.

Darbous:

With the caveat that I've only played this game for a day...

I've played a lot of different golf games since way back in the sega genesis and standup bar golf games...

I've been pretty good at most of them.

I started this game, and find that my long and medium games are what I expected out of a golf game.

The short game, however, putts, chips, and pitches seem to fail miserably.

Distances, aiming, and shaping seem to be completely irrelevant.  It seems that for any short shot, there is a 'magic' line, and if you don't hit that line, and perfectly, you're screwed.

So, if I'm doomed to miss 5 foot putts for all eternity, please let me know. Because, I'll just throw in the towel now and avoid the pain from banging my fists on my desktop...

Or if there's a secret that someone knows to not suck miserably with putting and chipping, I'd love to know it.  Because I'm nursing my knuckles at the moment too many of those 'perfect' shots that fall off line right at the very end...

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2010 2:08 PM

Give it some time, putting is a craft just like real golf.  Think of it this way, you have a 40 yd wide target to hit a fairway, and 20yds for most greens, small mishits still find your target.  When chipping and putting your target is a few inches wide, a small mishit will miss, if you aim correctly though you shouldnt miss with the closest mishit.  Just like regular golf, if you hit it high it has a chance to drop, if you are low the ball is not gonna drop.

Chipping and pitching is that same thing, certain things work and some dont, chipping out of heavy rough to a short distance is not gonna work to well.  Dont forget you have flop option.  I like to chip from fringe or short rough if the roll is predictable.  If its heavy sweeping or further away I chip.  Always with backspin on both, watch the downhill shots, they can run faster than putts. 

Just keep playing and practicing and you will notice more familiarity with certain shots, which should bump up your confidence in them.

• PAGES
RSS