Forums

Help › Forums

don't understand pitch and chip chunkers

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:08 AM (6 replies)
  • sbbpp4ever
    2 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2010 7:27 PM

I don't understand why occasionally I chunk one or more shots around the green. The game seems consistent with club yardage length everytime else. I will hit the swing meter perfectly  (lie and everything else taken into consideration) and CHUNK 1 yard. Very frustrating, turns a par save into a double or triple bogey, and ruins a round. I've tried using more power , but that just results into a shot over the green. This doesn't happen often, (once or so a round)  but enough to make me consider quitting. The game seems fair, (hit a good shot=good result) except for this. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, sbbpp4ever 

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2010 7:52 PM

hope this helps

1- when on edge of green use chip

2- when 2or more feet from green use pitch

3- read chip and pitch tips in faq's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

hope this helps chip

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sun, Jan 17 2010 8:09 PM

chipshotcharlie:

hope this helps

1- when on edge of green use chip

2- when 2or more feet from green use pitch

Yep this is one of those frustrating learning curve things in this game.  

It does not seem consistent with how the ball is striked in other aspects of the game (although the % of lie, can be quite inconsistent as well)  BUT doing what CSC suggests above did start helping me once I figured it out. 

It seems if you are 1 foot or less off the green, there is usually never any problem (and the lie % has almost no effect)

If you are 2, 3 or more feet off the green however, watchout.   For sure you can not chip in my short experience and even pitching you have to hit a little harder than you might otherwise think.

My 2 cents, dont give up!  (but I feel your pain believe me)

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 4:22 AM

This is one of the areas that you really have to think about how the shot would work on the real course. If you are in the rough and you try and hit softly at the ball it will go nowhere.

You must use at least, and usually more than 60 % power on your pitch and chip shots. Practice the flop as well.

As said before read Iconians chipping guide. Practice what you read and it will make sense.

• DrColossus
    11 Posts
    Mon, Jan 18 2010 4:50 AM

Definitely worthwhile taking the time to experiment with flop shots. I find I'm able to get close to the pin much more consistently compared to chip or pitch shots.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 11:42 PM

DrColossus:

Definitely worthwhile taking the time to experiment with flop shots. I find I'm able to get close to the pin much more consistently compared to chip or pitch shots.

You will find yourself up to your neck in it with that flop shot when the lie is over 40% you just need to read the chip and pitch guide then go practice there is no easy way. When your short game is good your putting will be off or your driving will be off it happens to us all.No body here shoots 58 all the time, its the game of golf frustrating as anything and a lot of fun at the same time stick to a plan and practice.

hope this helps chippy

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:08 AM

You'll get it sbbpp4ever.  The more you practice the better you'll play.  Those shots were always hard for me and now I seldom have problems getting the ball on the green.  Its hard to explain, but I developed a kind of feel for these shots...almost like in real golf...hang in there, if you love golf, you will be glad you are here.  

Joey   

RSS