Forums

Help › Forums

This is getting out of hand

Wed, Jan 13 2010 11:13 AM (50 replies)
  • EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 12:24 PM

Only problem is there are certain members of this forums who don't buy any clubs, and would have no money to sign up to the forums (AKA Me!).

Why sure I be locked out because of some spammer(s)?

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 12:45 PM

That is precisely why i suggested a NOMINAL fee  Ellis. also one that would be reimbursed by means of credits  (balls etc)  Is $5 (one off payment) too much to ask for 365 days 7 days a week 24 hours a day?

Maybe there are some tweaks that could be added to the idea.  Such as 50 ranked rounds entitles you to register for free. 

This would mean those that already have achieved that amount of ranked games would be exempt. Those that wish to participate in the forum would then either have to wait until they reached the ranking games quota  or  pay the fee (and recieve the credits). 

As i say, its  just an idea  that I am running by. but needs to be implimented as a non-profit making enterprise by WGT.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 12:50 PM

Crazyman2:

Maybe there are some tweaks that could be added to the idea.  Ssuch as 50 ranked rounds entitles you to register for free. 

This would mean those that already have achieved that amount of ranked games would be exempt. Those that wish to participate in the forum would then either have to wait until they reached the ranking games quota  or  pay the fee (and recieve the credits). 

Yeah, that sounds fine to me.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 1:10 PM

I'll cover ES-least I could do for all the sanity and common sense he brings here.  :)

The ranked rounds sounds like it could work but there are new types that would have questions. Where would they go if they didn't pay to be heard on this free site?

How about using the number of posts as a quantifier that automatically puts the post someplace where it could be screened before publishing if it didn't meet a set criteria. It wouldn't hurt legitimate posters but would limit what has happened in the past. Kind of like delayed moderation with a safeguard.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:38 PM

Very good solution to the spamming problem.

Bravo, Bravo...

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:51 AM

YankeeJim:
    How about using the number of posts as a quantifier that automatically puts the post someplace where it could be screened before publishing if it didn't meet a set criteria. It wouldn't hurt legitimate posters but would limit what has happened in the past. Kind of like delayed moderation with a safeguard.

"where it could be screened before publishing"

That would require constant manning by moderators or at least additional work for one extra member of WGT staff. If resources allow.

Whereas a simple edit of the software used in the forum application could be all that is required. (See below)

Depending upon the setup of the forum software   If it allows, then similar to Joomla or many other CMS/Blog systems the settings could be set to different categories.

Example:

Cat 1   New registrations/Less than 50 ranked games     Status = Read only

Cat 2 Ranked with 50 games     Status  = Author/Publisher

Cat 3 Paid Fee Registration if less than 50 games    Status = Author/Publisher - entitled to credits to same value as registration fee

This would allow for any newcomers to be able to view the vast array of topics with possible solutions 

It would prevent any would-be spammer/abuser from posting (unless they quickly try and reach the 50 games ranking requirement - but once reprimanded they would have to try and do it all over again - would they have the tenacity to do so?)

As previously explained a paypal verified account or credit card would be required. And as previously stated by Lee it would also solve the problem with minors  (separate issue )

There would be no need for any I.D if these methods were adapted, as they already confirm bank account status.

FAQ could also be updated in the database format to cover virtually every question and answer to date from this forum. That would allow newcomers the opportunity to quickly find solutions to any problems they encounter

Any newcomer that didn't wish to wait  for the qualifying period would need to purchase access and would recieve credits to the full value of the registration fee.

As I said  these are just flashes of ideas, and can and should be improved upon by means of social imput.

I have access to many forum/cms/blog software packages ay my disposal and looking through many of them allows the proposal i have set out above.

Even though the software being used may not be compatible at present. WGT have software developers that are more than capable of implimenting the adjustment required.

Happy Golfin'

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:17 AM

Looking into asp related forum software it would seem that most forum software packages have the options I and others have addressed. 

WGT Just check out the admin controls  lol 

Even better if the forum software is self built. and not a open source/paid for application you can add the options to your already programmed script

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:30 AM

CM2, I love the idea, but I think you're over-analyzing just a bit.  I am working on the seed of an idea here.. it goes something like this...

Find the site, play for free with LIMITED ACCESS:

• Kiawah front only
    • 2 or 3 CTTH's
    • Specific tournaments for LIMITED ACCESS only with negligible payouts
    • Forum Access "READ ONLY"

However, if you buy a MEMBERSHIP (CC verified) you get the game as we have it today.  Your $10 membership buys you 1000 credits so you're actually signing up for free.

I have experienced many MMO games with a free trial / limited access settings and NONE of them allowed full forum participation until an account was created and verified.

So, with this idea, you still can play golf for free, but to become a member of the community, you'll have to prove that your a responsible adult (or at least know one who will let you ring up their Visa.. lol)

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:55 AM

I see where you're coming from snaike, however I reckon WGT set their stall out to allow free access to the complete game.  The limitations you propose could go against what they are trying to achieve.

I don't see too many issues with the game itself (apart from the obvious ones that are constantly banded around different threads regarding the program itself) as it cannot be tampered with, unlike the forum which as you know has been inundated with spam and abusive behaviour.

I just think a simple admin control of setting the permissions is all that is required.

Another way to stop some of the idiocy would be to not allow instant registration. a verification link in a valid email would be neccessary for the player to actually get on the site. (preventing made up email addresses) I believe at the moment you can make up any old email address/username without verification and immediately have access to all on offer WITHOUT any email verification.

Happy Golfin'

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 11:57 AM

I believe that charging for forum access is a crazy idea. If anything, WGT should reward forum participants, instead of charging them. A discussion forum (naturally, only one that is managed well) is a superb tool for software developers to gather user feedback. The more feedback, the better; the more guidance to improve the software that is in development.

However, you just can't get away with running a forum on such a huge site as WGT.com and leave it only lightly moderated (in emergencies, based on abuse reports). That's just not enough. WGT has said they would hire moderators in the foreseeable future, so that's some good news.

I believe there are 2 standard ways to resolve the spamming issue:

• Appoint a team of moderators. Moderators don't necessarily need to be "hired"; volunteers from among experienced forum users would do. Give that team the option to instantly block any user account from contributing to the forums for a period of time specified by the moderator, as well as block that user's IP address or address range from the forum (and only from the forum) for a period of time specified by the moderator. Of course a WGT admin would oversee all moderators' actions to ensure the moderators' privileges aren't abused.
    • Emulate mailing-list functionality here in the forum. In an email discussion mailing list, you can set it up so that any arriving new member is by default moderated (his posts don't appear until approved by a moderator); there is a "moderated user / unmoderated user" switch that can be used by a moderator, so that new/troublesome members' contributions always need prior approval from a moderator before appearing online, while other posters can post as usual without any moderation. Any forum members may move from the Moderated to the Unmoderated group, or back, depending on current needs. This works 100% flawlessly in e-mail mailing lists, eliminating all spamming and trolling with 100% efficiency.
RSS