Forums

Help › Forums

This is getting out of hand

Wed, Jan 13 2010 11:13 AM (50 replies)
  • Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 1:45 AM

Doublemochaman:

POSITIVE = The post-round gin & tonic in real golf helps to take the edge off a bad round.

NEGATIVE = These 20 credit gin & tonics WGT sells don't even give me a buzz.

Look Doublemochaman  25% off !!!!

Happy Golfin'   Doublemochaman

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:18 AM

Funny Crazyman2!  Never thought I'd see Buzz Lightyear on a golf course.  Now that's the avatar I want!

• swdeva
    238 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 3:19 AM

I agree with you Crazyman2,It might not be" real",but its "Damn "close. And yes, I get frustrated with my bad shots.

Also I think the cost is right on.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 5:47 AM

Yes this is a game...This is a golfing community..Some of us take this as something that can be made into a fair way to compete in golf tourneys for all kinds of players.

The way it is now you have a few members (me included) that are discussing what to do about a group of people that do not have any respect for the community that we envision.

Faterson has suggested that IP addresses be used to stop multi-accounts.Thats sounds pretty simple to me.If there are better suggestions please state them here.

I don't have a silver bullet to stop this CHEATING but something has to be done.I like being a part of WGT a lot.This game is highly competitive and addictive.The caring members help keep the forums to a tolerable level of reading and insight's as to how we can better the game and the WGT as a whole.

I'd really like to see WGT take some action against this plague of undesirables that feel the need to destroy what some of us work hard to build up.

I have no problem getting beat by the top players here at WGT because those guys are good.i hope to be one of them one day.But with me working hard to get to that level and watching other people just set up another account and enter the same tourneys and do just as good is a little depressing to say the least.I have thought about this myself but I know that it's wrong and against the "T&C's" of the WGT to do so.OR IS IT?

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 6:14 AM

It is not as simple a solution as some make out Larry.

Banning an IP address will have little or no effect.  Many people have dynamic IP addresses (AOL is a prime example)  Others can 'cloak' their IP address if needs be. Also banning say, a range of IP address (such as all gmail adresses  or a range of IP's 211.00.99.00 - 211.00.xx.xx would spell disaster for WGT as this would include those innocent bystanders.

The only formula for a trouble free (if that ever exists) forum is to employ moderators that can manage (without any bias) it on an ongoing situation.

Perhaps another way to prevent multiple offenders is to make a separate register for the forum where 'members' PAY a nominal fee  to join it. (having to give personal details for payment ) Thus creating the unliklihood of a 'serial' spammer paying time and time again. The forum registration fee could be offset by WGT re-imbursing those registered members with equipment (balls  etc)

Just an idea.

Happy Golfin'

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:36 AM

Crazyman2:
    Perhaps another way to prevent multiple offenders is to make a separate register for the forum where 'members' PAY a nominal fee  to join it. (having to give personal details for payment ) Thus creating the unliklihood of a 'serial' spammer paying time and time again. The forum registration fee could be offset by WGT re-imbursing those registered members with equipment (balls  etc)

You know, Crazy, that's not such a bad idea.

Many months ago, when the spectre of lying multiple cheats raised it's ugly head for me to notice the first time, I mentioned that one of the only ways to eradicate it was to make everyone pay to play...  This idea went over like a lead balloon, even as I wrote it I knew it went against everything WGT had tried to do.  So, I never pursued it beyond a few threads...

Now, this wrinkle you have added has re-sparked my interest.  Making everyone pay a nominal fee with reimbursement... say 1000 credits or whatnot.

I like it.  I really do.  Thanks

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:47 AM

Or instead of that... make people register with a Credit Card Account (with of course another manual method for those without CCs).  No payment necessary but now WGT has a unique name and address to associate to an account.  A lot harder to create multiples that way.  Also takes care of a second bird with the same stone, age verification.

*edit* the manual method would involve an piece of ID scanned and e-mailed/faxed to wgt, until that occurs the player only able to practice.  I know this can be manipulated, but so can everything else, I just think this would be the hardest to manipulate.  I also realize that in this age of cyber theft people are going to be wary about giving personal information to corporations, but where is the balance?

(Please do not get into a dispute whether minors should be allowed on or not!)

Just throwing out some ideas....

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:51 AM

:)

Minors should be allowed on, but they should never be allowed to read the forums, or borrow their parent's credit card to buy clubs.  And they should definitely avert their gaze from some of the icons on here!

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 11:54 AM

Doublemochaman:

:)

Minors should be allowed on, but they should never be allowed to read the forums, or borrow their parent's credit card to buy clubs.  And they should definitely avert their gaze from some of the icons on here!

Please stop... that was not the intention of my reply to this thread!

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Mon, Jan 11 2010 12:14 PM

Snaike:
    Making everyone pay a nominal fee with reimbursement... say 1000 credits or whatnot.

Yeah  what i meant in my earlier post was a separate fee just for forum access. because I realised that WGT has set out its stall to offer a Free format for the game itself, whereas the forum could be a separate issue.  No spammer can infiltrate the game, but can and as seen can do so at will.

By charging them each time they either pay up each time they wish to cause mayhem in the paid forum or their other alternative would be to reformat their computer (because of a banned IP if non-dynamic )

It doesn't need to be a profit making exercise for WGT, but perhaps a meaning to an end of the abuse and trouble being caused. What each forum member pays they get back in credits.

Think about it  WGT, it could save you many a headache.  Paypal payments would also need to come from 'verified' paypal accounts  (meaning the owner of the paypal account would have already submitted bank details to verify that account. This would prevent possible fraudulent registration fees. Obviously Credit card payments are already verified.

Lats imagine a fee of $5 to register for the forum   - A spammer if attempting to spam the forum  (if not banned because of a dynamic IP  etc. (such as recently- on at least 11 occassions  would have spent $55  - somehow  I think they may think twice!.

Happy Golfin'

RSS