Forums

Help › Forums

Advice on golf clubs(real world)

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:44 PM (62 replies)
  • GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:19 PM

Okay thanks all . Really appreciate it ! Thanks .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:55 PM

GolferAlpha:

Okay thanks all . Really appreciate it ! Thanks .

You realize, of course, we all expect regular updates on your game.  ;-)

• cruiser1
    74 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 4:09 PM

paulshack:

measure for clubs? are you gys serious LOL.. hes brand new to  golf..

get a nice cheap set. nothing to fancy. and start playing. the more you play. the better you get, the more fun you have.

KEEP IT SIMPLE . get out on the course ! enjoy golfing :)

I would have to agree with you Paul, go get a full set of Dunlops from K-mart for 150 dollars and start playing and work on getting better with these clubs, then worry about the fitting and swing speeds later.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 4:35 PM

I think that shaft length is worth a thought from the very beginning.

Alfa, If you are bigger than 6' (1,80 m) or smaller than 5'5" (1,65 m), longer or shorter shafts than regular are a must! You don't want to have to bow unnaturally or have to grip the club below the rubber grip.

Plus, length adaption frequently requires lie adaption.

I'd rather get some used quality clubs than cheap new ones. Trying to save money initially by buying cheap will result in extra costs soon.

Get yourself a full set of irons at least. A putter is a must of course, but it comes separate easily. Driver and woods/rescues may wait.

A carrybag with a stand is good at least for the beginning - it serves well for a reduced number of clubs. (We need it in winter when carrying is mandatory).

• GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Mon, Jan 9 2012 11:44 PM

Progress Report #1

Okay so , i googled on second hand golf stores in my country and found one , so i decided to head down to get some drivers woods and hybrids . And this is what i bought , all for 40sgd , so thats about 31usd .

Callaway Great Big Bertha War Bird Loft:11
    Dunlop FW D405 Loft:15
    Dynacraft H Loft:21
    Primus H Loft:25

*My 6i loft is 31 .

Couldnt find all of the same brand/model . But its 40sgd anyway , now i finally have a full golf set . Gonna hit some balls at the range soon . Update ya'll in a bit .

• GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 2:51 AM

Progress Report #2

Just when to the range with the 4 clubs that i just bought except the driver , together with my 6i and 9i . And i did a launch test on them .

Launch rate : 20% Dunlop FW D405
    Launch rate : 95% Dynacraft Hybrid
    Launch rate : 0% Primus Hybrid
    Launch rate : 85% Mizuno 6i
    Launch rate : 100% Mizuno 9i

Just some stats to show the launch rate on a scale of 20 balls , how many balls managed to drive up . 

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:24 AM

cruiser1:

paulshack:

measure for clubs? are you gys serious LOL.. hes brand new to  golf..

get a nice cheap set. nothing to fancy. and start playing. the more you play. the better you get, the more fun you have.

KEEP IT SIMPLE . get out on the course ! enjoy golfing :)

I would have to agree with you Paul, go get a full set of Dunlops from K-mart for 150 dollars and start playing and work on getting better with these clubs, then worry about the fitting and swing speeds later.

When you buy your next pair of shoes will it matter if they are 3 sizes too small or too big? You will of course get used to the blisters eventually or them falling off your feet.

Getting fitted doesn't have to cost anything if you use a bit of savvy or smarts in the golf shop.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:30 AM

Speaking of shoes, don't ignore them. You need your feet planted during the swing and anything without spikes will have you slipping and sliding at the wrong time.

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:37 AM

I have tried all the major brands at one time or another Jim and I keep coming back to Footjoy. Like a good pair of slippers you don't know you have them on.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:45 AM

I scored a nice pair of leather Callaways at Golf Galaxy and because of the rubber spikes it's easy to forget you have them on.  :-)

On your advice about fitting, it might help for Alpha to understand why this is important. The way the sole of the club lies on the ground is important and the length of the club compared to your height directly affects this. Wrong length clubs can cause you to use incorrect posture, like bending over too much if they're too short, or having to stand too far away if they're too long. 

RSS