Forums

Help › Forums

Advice on golf clubs(real world)

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:44 PM (62 replies)
  • GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:11 AM

So after playing WGT , i just got hooked onto golf . My granddad handed me some old old irons to hit , and after a few range visits , its starting to look good .

Now , i'm looking to get a full set of golf clubs so i can play a full hole game . Dont have to be the best , a cheap and good one that would last me long . Gonna use it for recreational rather than for competition . So , what club set do you recommend ?

• Kurtsbuford
    7,592 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 12:56 PM

Many decent cheap full sets available, but,  id think youd want to go your proshop or a well known golf store in your area  where you can try different manufacturers drivers, irons, wedges, they also have persons that will provide you with a proper fit as per your size, your swing speeds and skill level........ then since you are a beginner, ask about taking some lessons before you play.  

You want to play well,  even if it is recreational, LOL

• 100plus
    801 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 4:46 PM

I agree fully go to a well known golf store for your clubs. When i started playing real golf seriously I did and the fellow convinced me rather then to but a new cheap set of clubs say for 300$ to but a quality set that had been traded in by some1 who tryed to buy a golf swing every year because money was no object. I ended up with an excellent set of 1 1/2 year old clubs that were new at a 1000$ but got for 350 and spent another 100 getting them gripped and fitted to me ,they lasted me for ten years till I was good enuf and had the money for an upgrade . PS sold the set for 150$

• GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 6:40 PM

Ahhhhhh okay , thanks guys !

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 9:22 PM

I would start by looking at Adams Golf iron sets, they make great clubs for beginners/mid-high handicappers. Research new, but I would definitely buy used.... If you have a Golf Galaxy in the area, you've hit the jackpot -- they've got a great selection of used stuff that you can use in store and return if you don't like it, even after using on-course. Otherwise, Ebay and Craiglist are also good. Last year's new model can also be a good deal.

But don't buy anything older than 10, maybe 5 years; the clubs could be in fine shape, but won't have the latest generation of technology. Stay away from long irons and go with hybrids (Adams uses this concept in many of their sets). Get forgiving irons that are designed for mid/high handicappers (woods & wedges don't matter so much in that sense). Check Golf magazine and Golf Digest online for club info & reviews. Don't get expensive balls, unlike on WGT you won't see any difference (yet) between Top Flites and Titleists.

Have fun! 

• GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:27 PM

Hi thanks all for your reply . Unfortunately , golf stores aren't really established here in my country . 

Anyway , i've did some googling . And i saw the argument between getting a full set or getting a half set for beginners ? What do you guys think about it ?

People on google also recommends the Top-Flite XL Full set from Callaway . Again , what do you guys think about it ?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 5:21 AM

Leon nailed it. I got a complete set of Big Bertha irons from a local pro shop/driving range. Most places that sell stuff like this will let you hit them before you buy. I was able to compare drivers by hitting them before I bought one and I am glad I did-I learned about what I can hit and not hit.

The Callaway store online has great used stuff that is rated by the condition with prices all over the place. I was able to fill out my wedge set with matching clubs. Lostgolfballs.com will keep you in balls really cheap too.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:19 AM

Yep, used is the best way.  There is such a choice of used gear these days that you will always find something decent within your budget.  I recently got a full set (3-SW) set of Callaway X-14 Pro Series irons for €176 (about $225) off Ebay.  Stick a new set of grips on and they play as well as anything you can buy today.  And for about €1200 less than they originally cost.

Just realised you were really looking for specific advice on what to get, not where to get it.  Go for something aimed at high handicappers if you're just starting out, something forgiving with a decent cavity back.  Run away from any set with the word blades in it, great for single figure handicap players, a nightmare for a beginner.  Have a look online, there are tons of sites offering help and advice on what to buy.  One problem with asking other golfers is 10 people asked will probably give you at least 8 different answers, it's very much a question of personal preference.  If at all possible try the clubs before buying.  If playing with the actual ones for sale is not possible maybe you know someone who has the same clubs and will let you have a go.  The main thing is to find something you feel comfortable with.  I agree with YJ about balls, no point getting new and expensive balls yet, decent quality lake balls will do fine.

And have fun, it's a great way to spend a couple or more hours.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:53 AM

Good answer, MM, and you were right on about those blades.

@the OP-blades have about 1/2 dot of forgiveness and cavity backs have 5.  :-D

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 11:51 AM

Check out Callaway Pre Owned, they ship anywhere in the world. Guaranteed original and a 30 days try out buy back option. The cavity back clubs are the way to go and a full set will save problems later on trying to match the half set up.

They always have great deals on the go with sometimes 30% off. I have nothing at all to do with the company but have bought off them in the past, it was well worth it. Much easier to sell the Callaways on later than the Top Flite.

RSS