Forums

Help › Forums

Advice on golf clubs(real world)

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:44 PM (62 replies)
  • gordonparker
    823 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 2:25 PM

im sure ant(suncity28) will give u some advice on clubs he is off +2. im off +1 myself but the clubs we both got are made to our satisfaction

gordon

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 5:48 PM

GolferAlpha:
    And i saw the argument between getting a full set or getting a half set for beginners ? What do you guys think about it

No. A half set is only good for young kids. 

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 5:54 PM

You also need to get measured for length of the shafts and of course your swingspeed to determine the stiffness of the shaft that suits you and your grip size. Money spent at a professional fitter will reap you the benefits of a properly fitted set sooner than later. It is well worth the extra cost. You can probably get further advice from the nearest golf course professional.

• GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:28 PM

Okay , so let me organise myself .

Step 1 : Go the a professional fitter locally , and determine my swing speed and shaft type i needa use . (P.S how much will it cost ?)

Step 2 : Head to callaway preowneds to get some clubs !

Sounds good to me . 

• paulshack
    281 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:41 PM

measure for clubs? are you gys serious LOL.. hes brand new to  golf..

get a nice cheap set. nothing to fancy. and start playing. the more you play. the better you get, the more fun you have.

KEEP IT SIMPLE . get out on the course ! enjoy golfing :)

• GolferAlpha
    17 Posts
    Thu, Jan 5 2012 6:46 PM

So apparently , i wasnt able to hit the balls up using the long irons . People recomends that i replace the long irons with hybrids . This is what i have in mind :

Driver
    3F
    3H
    5H
    5-PWSW irons

What do you guys think ? 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 5:41 AM

GolferAlpha:

Driver
    3F
    3H
    5H
    5-PWSW irons

What do you guys think ? 

That's pretty typical and will last you a long time. Keep in mind what Paulshack said-you're brand new and spending all sorts of money on measuring and fitting and pro shops etc. is ridiculous. If you turn out to be some natural phenom that's a different story but clubs IRL are not like here. Just because you buy the best and most expensive you still have to be able to swing the club consistently and correctly and it's a crapload harder than clicking a mouse.Clubs won't lower your scores or make you successful, you will. And that's after you learn how to play.

Learn the game and your limitations first and then go looking for some serious clubs.  GL

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 6:15 AM

Getting measured for the clubs is probably the most important step you can take in getting it right from the start.

If you go and get measured nobody said you have to buy expensive clubs, or from that professional or that expensive shop.

At least you will know that you will be playing with the right shaft, right length and right grip all of which if incorrectly played with will only create more problems that will have to be fixed at a later date making the game far more difficult and more expensive. If you buy the first set you see, you will not 99% of the time have  a set that fits you.

Get your measurements done and then you can give that information through to somebody like Callaway Pre Owned who will do all the fitting at a cheap cost saving you a wallet load of cash in the long run.

Spending money on golf clubs becomes a serious hobby if you start out on the wrong foot, believe me I have been there done that. If you become addicted to the game once you hit that sweet spot shot that stops next to the pin there will be no need to spend any further cash knowing you have the right clubs now.

Of course you can take the earlier advice and just buy the clubs recommended and hope they work out for you but if you start with the properly measured clubs then you can only blame you for a bad shot and not the clubs. Something that your local professional will be able to iron out with a few lessons.

Whatever decision you take enjoy the game, its one of the best on the planet.

I just checked the Callaway site and there is a set of x16s cavity backs in as new condition.

Graphite Regular Callaway System CW 75 Graphite Std (Black) Standard Like New
    $265.99

If you go for steel shafts then they will be even cheaper and when you are good enough to upgrade in the future then you should have no problem selling them on.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 12:31 PM

That Callaway site is a good one. I picked up a used HB, then a 60W and this past summer had them reshaft my Fusion driver. Between them and lostgolfballs.com the cost of playing with good stuff is reasonable.

• jordanisawesome
    620 Posts
    Fri, Jan 6 2012 12:44 PM

here are some good irons, i used them a bit ago and loved them but moved on to more recent ones. you can find them for about $350..and a driver i used to use but moved on to the r11...you can find this for about $200-$250

RSS