Forums

Help › Forums

Advice on golf clubs(real world)

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:44 PM (62 replies)
  • Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 12:05 PM

Like you say Jim it is important especially when the lie of the club is off. People wonder why they hit the ball right or left after they have taken the time to line up correctly. If the lie is off by one degree in say a seven iron, the result can be ten yards off of where you are aiming.

A simple test of hitting a lie board will determine what your personal lie is and the clubs can be adjusted within minutes.I can't understand what the objections are to playing with properly fitted clubs when it takes so little effort even with the cheapest possible clubs.

• Sinistem
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 2:02 PM

Cheap stainless-steel clubs are generally not adjustable, though there are grades of stainless that are, your not gonna find that in a cheap set.

The bargain is in vintage blades... they are generally carbon steel, easy to bend.

average size beginners need'nt worry about fitting, a standard set will work just fine..

maybe a tough go at first, but bladeirons will teach you a proper swing better than those foolish "game improving" perimeter weighted fry pans.

when you misshit a blade, you know it, you get feedback that tells you know what went right or wrong...game improvement clubs lie to you about whats really going on.

once you develop a fairly repeatable swing, then think about getting fitted for new clubs.

Sin

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 2:42 PM

Giving a learner a blade iron is a certain way to put them off and if cavity back irons are foolish why is it then that over 50% of professionals on the PGA circuit use them?

• Sinistem
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 3:31 PM

Ihatecheats:

Giving a learner a blade iron is a certain way to put them off and if cavity back irons are foolish why is it then that over 50% of professionals on the PGA circuit use them?

I guess back before the '60s or '70s, if you got "put off" by blades you simply couldn't play golf because you had no choice...

Kinda funny most of the top 10 tour pros use blades...besides pros already know how to consistently hit the ball true, they could use any clubs and get good results.

wanna talk about product endorsment?(roll eyes)

When will people stop looking at the elite for comparison? It's ruining the game for normal folks, Imho.

Sin

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:34 PM

Does it make sense for a complete beginner to get fitted for clubs? Just wondering... and not necessarily about OP, but newbies in general -- if they don't know anything at all about grip, stance, posture? (let alone swing)? If they get fitted on Day 0, won't the fit change in a few months, after some lessons, practice and rounds? Since clubs are fitted to your setup and swing, how do you fit them if you don't have those? curious... 

BTW, I wish Footjoy made non-golf shoes, that's all I'd wear

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 4:38 PM

LeonDelBosque:
    Does it make sense for a complete beginner to get fitted for clubs?

Getting fitted just sounds expensive but it's really only as simple as holding the club correctly and looking at how it sits on the ground. Manufacturers make different length clubs on purpose and it's easy to get the right size without spending a dime on the fitting. My son's Pings are a good example. They're the black dot version which is how Ping designates the longer version of the i3s. He's 6'2" and it made a huge difference for him immediately as he had been playing clubs too short for him.

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 5:00 PM

This thread was started by someone who had been to the range a few times and in his own words was hooked. He had gotten some clubs from his Grandfather and was looking for advice about what clubs he should go for.

Cavity backed clubs were the obvious choice with his limited ability and advice about having a visit the the Pro or golf shop was to help him get it right with the clubs that he had. Over 50% of the modern professional use these clubs on the professional circuit as they are easier to hit without the need to hit the exact sweet spot of the clubface.

It is not difficult to understand why the elite of the game use blades as their swing has been developed over years if not decades of practice to achieve their greatness. Very very few learners could hit a blade without damage to their hands and wrists.

How can you say " Kinda funny most of the top 10 tour pros use blades" then say "When will people stop looking at the elite for comparison" in the next breath?

wanna talk about product endorsment?(roll eyes) I take it this means some sort of superior sarcastic remark, sorry it went right over my head.

My thoughts on this matter is something that I have had personal experience with and thinking of passing that knowledge on would save time and money in the long run to a learner. I forgot all about how golf used to be played in the last century.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 5:17 PM

Ihatecheats:
    Very very few learners could hit a blade without damage to their hands and wrists.

I agree with you about cavity backs, but that's crazy. Then again, I learned how to play golf in the last century, when dinosaurs roamed the fairways.

• Ihatecheats
    298 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 5:34 PM

LOL Leon

Clubs are a personal choice, its just advising learners to use blades is baffling when over 50% of seasoned pros don't use them.

I'll keep watch for any Stegasaurus next time I'm in the fescue.

• Sinistem
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:11 PM

I don't care at all what the pros use,  too forgiving of clubs will make you lazy.  Pretty soon your game begins to deteriorate after your initial pseudo-success  and you won't even know what or why your swing doesn't work any more... then you'll begin the club buying cycle so cleverly engineered by the golf manufacturing industry and foisted on unwary golf consumers at large.

Yeah, if all you want to do is go out on the weekend  duffin' and drinkin' with friends( not that there's anything wrong with that) and you've no chance to practice, by all means get  some high handicap game improvers and go for it. They are heaven sent for that.

But if you want to get serious about  studying and learning the art of the human golf swing, get some blades.   Your first pured shot will tell you what golfs really about.

Sin

RSS