Forums

Help › Forums

Is Protecting your handicap cheating?

Fri, Jan 15 2010 2:21 PM (57 replies)
  • GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 8:35 AM

How do they come up with a 9 hole handicap,by playing 18 and dividing by 2 or do they use they're 18 hole rounds for the handicap?

Or do they play a few 9 hole rounds before the 9 hole tourney's?

I guess if your in a league thats totally different.They would be able to base it on the 9 hole matches that ya'll play all the time.I suck in real life so I only play with people that don't take it to seriously.We just have a lot of fun.No fun losing real money.lol

I have been lucky on the ready go's I guess because I recognize most of the players shooting 28, 29,30.

There is exactly what you said happening though.I have checked out a couple of profiles and discovered some players with membership dates that are after the Ready go's were introduced here at WGT.I to wonder how they were able to finish in the money,sometime winning out right,in any type of tourney.Especially with the top quality players that are here.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 8:46 AM

TheTommyD:

As a suggestion, I think that the method of determining the average should be changed, it needs to take more rounds into account, say 20 out of the last 30 (or even more!), and dropping both the highest 5 and lowest 5 rounds, not to mention placing a proper weighting on 9 hole rounds.  I know this suggestion moves away from the 'typical' way to calculate a handicap, but some things do not and will never translate well from real life into a game scenario...

Right on Lee. I just saw this off a guys page who's winning one of tourneys right now. Is this what your referring to?

Career Earnings 7.68 Stroke Play Tournaments Entered 59 Stroke Play Score Average 107.52 Stroke Play Top 10 Finishes 9 Stroke Play Top 100 Finishes 18 Total Ranked Rounds Played 94 Skill Challenge Tournaments Entered 75 Skill Challenge Top 10 Finishes 15 Skill Challenge Top 100 Finishes 19

When I first came to WGT... oh.... way back... like, 3 and a half months ago... lol, I saw some of this kind of thing and thought, "What am I doing soooo wrong, that I can't score better than I am... I must be a really bad "virtual golfer"!" :(

There were sooo many, doing sooo much better, who hadn't even played as much as me. I discovered the forum, and was "illuminated" by reading about ways to decrease my scores, the "perils" of increasing throught the tiers too quickly, and the presence of sandbaggers.

Great reading, but nothing explained better, the ability to quickly ascend through, and take advantage of the tiers, than reading about players with multiple accounts.

Getting a bunch of experience as a player, then coming back as another explained it for me, hence giving me hope that I wasn't really that bad a player, I just needed more practice.

It's frowned-upon here at WGT to have multiple accounts, and justly so, IMHO. But in all fairness, let's consider this... are there legit reasons one would have to be forced to delete one's account, having to "restart" a "career"? Maybe there were problems with the Beta early-on, and things happened that I'm not aware of. But if that did happen, they would enter WGT with an "experienced" set of starter clubs.

Although I've not done an exhaustive search, if there's a way to preserve one's account, say... after an internet provider change... I've not seen it discussed in the FAQ, or here in the forum. Maybe some of the "oldtimers" here can post a link to a related discussion, to enlighten me and the other viewers of this thread.

Soooo... my point is this, it may not be so much the way the average is formulated... it works fine if the "perceived ability of a beginner" is used. The problem comes about when a "beginner" logs-in, and is able to shoot scores as low as a pro, or master. They'll have to address this if they decide to change the way averages (handicaps) are formulated.

TommyD, the stat's you posted show what I'm talking about, but with a twist... this person has used the ability to return to WGT, with a new account, and on top of that, sandbag, artificially keeping a high handicap, for the purpose of lining his virtual pockets, and filling the shelves in his virtual trophy case.

As someone else stated, I also think once you've won a tournament, or have placed in the top ten multiple times, your tier level and average should be weighted with the scores from these top-level finishes. Short of having two seperate averages, one "stroke-play", and one "tournament", this would at least have some effect on some's abilities to continue to sandbag.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:00 AM

GITrDONE:

I know we have the option to play only 9 holes but I don't think the average should be adjusted based on a 9 hole round.

I think it should only be  affected by a full 18 hole round.

9 holes are not a complete round of golf.

Whoa brudder! :^O

Check my stat's. I play "nine's" exclusively! Maybe I have latent ADHD, or sumpin', cause playing 18 just doesn't hold an appeal for me. Don't get me wrong. I tried playing multiplay 18 holes many times, but too many times, I ended-up by myself. Add this to my initial preference to "mix up the courses", and my preference makes more sense to me.

9 holes (for me, anyways) IS a "complete-enough" round of golf.

But anytime you want to go 18, lemme know. :)

• rglrguy
    442 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 9:13 AM

PugsAce:
    It's frowned-upon here at WGT to have multiple accounts, and justly so, IMHO. But in all fairness, let's consider this... are there legit reasons one would have to be forced to delete one's account, having to "restart" a "career"? Maybe there were problems with the Beta early-on, and things happened that I'm not aware of. But if that did happen, they would enter WGT with an "experienced" set of starter clubs.

I recently traveled to France for vacation and could not access my account here in the US from French internet service ( don't know why). Being somewhat addicted to WGT, I opened a new account under a different name and started over as a Hack with welfare clubs. Had a great time and made pro in 3 days. My total winnings in the tourneys was $1.

My point is this this........If someone is in it for the money, they are wasting their time. If someone is in it for the pleasure of playing, then what is the downside? I am currently 66th in the 9 hole unlimited tourney with a 30 ( my personal best) and I sometimes wonder how someone shoots a 27 on 9 holes, but I will continue to strive to do the same.

We could make the RTG tourneys tier specific and have a higher fee and payout, and the "Hacks" (sand baggers) could only win smaller amounts. But in the end is this not still a game of you against the course? Please excuse my simplistic way of looking at it, but I enjoy playing this game very much and would hate to see it overly complicated because of some childish sand baggers.

( I hope my admission of multiple accounts will not get me disqualified. I haven't used the French account since I have returned. It was for fun only. )

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:16 AM

PugsAce:
    9 holes (for me, anyways) IS a "complete-enough" round of golf.

Thats all I play too for the exact same reasons you stated,but thats not a real round of golf,and since the whole premise of the game is to make it just like real golf, how does playing a 9 hole round of golf justify as the same as an 18 hole (whole) round of golf?

I must be mistaken but I thought the average of players like the ones on the tour golf level were based on 18 holes of golf.

I just don't know anyone in real life that basis they're handicap on 9 holes,I thought that was an incomplete round of golf.

Forgive me for not knowing that some people base it on 9 holes as well.

My bad

Larry

• Fata
    116 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:18 AM

Maybe we should have an ahole  section where we list the sandbaggers.  

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:25 AM

GITrDONE:

I just don't know anyone in real life that basis they're handicap on 9 holes,I thought that was an incomplete round of golf.

Forgive me for not knowing that some people base it on 9 holes as well.

My bad

Larry

No problem.

Around here, there are a few courses with only 9-holes. Leagues are run there all the time. Granted, the handicapping is a bit different, I'm sure, but if you've only got 9 holes to play...

No bad.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:28 AM

oh i see av lee, just gave the money leaders quick glance. let me rephrase that, who the hell are all these people winning and finishing in top 5 of all these ready go's. these ready go's need to be played in tiers, simply no way it can be fair playing from different tee boxes. the next guy i get a kick out of is the wolf in sheeps "pros" clothing in a match play challenge. aw shucks i'm having a lucky day, oh i'm sorry was that six birds  in a row, gg see you later guy. just some thoughts. thx JB

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 11:39 AM

PugsAce:
    It's frowned-upon here at WGT to have multiple accounts, and justly so,

Yes it is frowned upon but let me tell you a little story.

I had a neighbor ,that doesn't have a computer,who seen me playing the game and really liked it.Of course with me being the WGT addict that I am he didn't get a chance to play because I told him he would mess up my average.I didn't tell him about the "practice" though.

I had to go out of town for a week so he keeps on and on about letting him play and I finally give in and tell my wifeto let him play WGT on my computer.I failed to tell him NOT to set up another account.Thats exactly what he did,set up another account from my computer.

When I returned home he came over and wanted to play and I said sure go ahead.He starts punching his username and I told him that  that's the wrong one.He's says it's alright I set up my own account so I wouldn't mess up your average.He found out about the practice by the way.

I immediately emailed WGT and told them what had happened and ask if they would remove the other account and begged for forgiveness and to also not be punished for this since he really didn't know not to do it.

I received an email the following morning informing me that they would not penalize me and thanked me for my honesty.No harm no foul.They removed the account.If I would not of told them I don't know if they would of ever found out.From the looks of things they wouldn't have.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Fri, Jan 8 2010 12:10 PM

I don't see any harm done by your friend. I don't see any reason why his account had to be deleted.   ???

We can play on any computer we want to play on, right? Just use our account that we setup.

Did he use his own email address? If he used yours, I can see there being a problem, then.

What am I missing?

RSS