Forums

Help › Forums

Is Protecting your handicap cheating?

Fri, Jan 15 2010 2:21 PM (57 replies)
    1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:10 AM

molideha:
    the ready-go tournies being tierless is WHY they encourage sandbagging..as a hack, a player can get the regular rapture full set, throw in an anser putter, a sleeve of B-ES balls, hit from the red tees and post 59-60 until the cows come home.
    Okay, but isn't that kind of putting the cart before the horse?  You imply an initial investment in order to earn credits through sandbagging, but isn't sandbagging for the purpose of deceiving other players for the purpose of gaining advantage? (earning credits without buying)

• TheFlyWhiteGuy
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:14 AM

Um no,

The purpose of sandbagging is one of pride more than profit.

Much like supporting a site that hates you just to keep your reputation in tact. Sound familiar?

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:19 AM

Sandbagging (golfing)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In golf, a player is said to be sandbagging when he deliberately plays poorly until he establishes a handicap and then increases his money bets on his play using the established handicap to win money from his opponent.

As it applies to this site it is a person who posts poor scores in order to prevent moving to a more competitive tier, and entering tournaments or matchplay challenges to gain an unfair advantage.

• TheFlyWhiteGuy
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:30 AM

Lee,

What financial gain is there in sandbagging here? I've just read 3 postings that said you can't get cash for credits.

Trust me, 3 days ago I was scratching my head wondering how 1 day old hacks were hitting birdies every other hole. After reading these forums it's very evident. The "sandbaggers" are out for pride and glory not money. It doesn't make any sense. What money?

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:36 AM

Look deeper and you will find that there are actually tournaments that offer real prizes... gift cards, trips, real golf clubs, etc... not to mention not having to pay for the benefit of enjoyment.... kind of like, oh I don't know, downloading mp3s and movies for nothing off the net.... sure these are "just files" but they are entertainment, offered legitimately at a price, a price that the dishonest user doesn't have to play.... catch the drift now?

• TheFlyWhiteGuy
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:51 AM

Oh come on,

Are you saying sandbagging incentive is to win trips? Has anyone ever won a trip on here or is that another bait and switch tactic? Even if they have, was it 1 or 2 people. I don't think sandbaggers are that naive to think they stand a chance against players like yourself and the true masters of the game.

It's about pride and glory.  I played a guy yesterday that was a hack 150. Cleaned the course with me and his final words were, "I just beat you with freebie clubs and I'm a hack!" Well not much point in the freebie clubs comment. I've got those too. But he was an excellent player only out to take cheap stabs at players.

Just my thought.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:52 AM

Greyskull5:

I ask this point not in relation to keeping it low but keeping it high...

... I don't think its fair or right ,i might be well off the mark if i am i apologise 

No apologies are necessary...

You see... there are different types of gamers...

Those who feel that getting to the "final screen", or "boss", or "level", or "tier" is what it's "all about".

Those who feel that "drawing-out" certain segments of a game, level, or tier is more fun, or satisfying and beneficial in some way, or another.

Those who want to thoroughly "pick-apart" a game, either to see how it works, or to work-out ways to defeat it... i.e. develop ways to cheat it.

And then, there are those gamers who simply enjoy playing a game, with any and all rewards, satisfactions, shortcomings, and glitches that come during the allowed expense of their own precious time.

This is a fact of life... of human nature... and whether one type of gamer's methodology is perceived as "fair and right", while another's isn't, or not... the game will remain... there to be played.

The problems only arise when the gamer/game relationship involves others, as it does here. These problems - no others - should be the one's given utmost priority around the conference table during game development and upgrade meetings.

No apologies are necessary... the hard decisions have to be made by those who wish to protect and foster the type of membership that they intended to be here at WGT in the first place.

• TheFlyWhiteGuy
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:57 AM

Well said Pugs,

Wait a minute...what the hell did you just say? lol

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:59 AM

ok ALee bud, i'll bite....for the sake of a fun conversation.  :-)

if I am not mistaken, you are saying that a player could equip themselves with the bag i described...this player could then post 59-60 in ready-go tournaments... then post 140-150 in ranked stroke play between ready-go tournaments to keep their average around 100...accumulate thousands of credits from ready-go winnings...and not be labeled a sand bagger by yourself?

there is a reason why WGT advances players through the tiers...the game is progressively more difficult, is it not?...thus my argument holds water...there is an advantage gained by a player staying at the red tees.

over to you.  :-)

• TheFlyWhiteGuy
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:02 AM

molideha:

there is a reason why WGT advances players through the tiers...the game is progressively more difficult, is it not?

That's a big negative ghostrider. Difficult remains the same throughout...you're just further back on the tees.

molideha:

over to you.  :-)

Now that's funny

RSS