Forums

Help › Forums

Is Protecting your handicap cheating?

Fri, Jan 15 2010 2:21 PM (57 replies)
    1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:07 AM

TheFlyWhiteGuy:
    re you saying sandbagging incentive is to win trips?
    Yes, among other things...

TheFlyWhiteGuy:
    Has anyone ever won a trip on here or is that another bait and switch tactic?
    I've won two, have the pictures to prove it...

TheFlyWhiteGuy:
    Even if they have, was it 1 or 2 people. I don't think sandbaggers are that naive to think they stand a chance against players like yourself and the true masters of the game.
    Go do a search and see who went to Pinehurst recently as People vs. Pros winners... (unfortunately the event organizers cancelled, but WGT stepped up and sent (most) of the winners anyways!)

*edit* please note that this is not an accusation to the players that won their way into the trip... just that because it was offered as a Pro level prize, it is in fact possible to sandbag the win.

TheFlyWhiteGuy:
    It's about pride and glory.  I played a guy yesterday that was a hack 150. Cleaned the course with me and his final words were, "I just beat you with freebie clubs and I'm a hack!" Well not much point in the freebie clubs comment. I've got those too. But he was an excellent player only out to take cheap stabs at players.
    Yup... that's gonna happen too, I feel sorry for that individual, but hey, to each their own... but now you know to avoid him...  Not nearly as big an issue as what is stated above. (Unless you lost credits to him!)

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:12 AM

molideha:

if I am not mistaken, you are saying that a player could equip themselves with the bag i described...this player could then post 59-60 in ready-go tournaments... then post 140-150 in ranked stroke play between ready-go tournaments to keep their average around 100...accumulate thousands of credits from ready-go winnings...and not be labeled a sand bagger by yourself?

there is a reason why WGT advances players through the tiers...the game is progressively more difficult, is it not?...thus my argument holds water...there is an advantage gained by a player staying at the red tees.

Granted, yes it does hold water, I'm just not sure it's as big of a contributor as the matchplay challenges....  Can't say that I've seen a name on the ready-go leaderboards that can be accused of this.... not that I've looked much.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:12 AM

I hope WGT is listening because there were some good suggestions in this thread on how to deal with the issue.

Its really not rocket science to address this and where a system can be cheated, you'll find cheaters no doubt about it.

Come on WGT, you have paying customers to take care of here.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:52 AM

Oh wait... I forgot one... the "Pseudo-Gamer"" I'll call him, for the meager effort I'd like to give this post...

This type of "gamer" isn't a gamer at all, although he may think he is. His "main function" is his heartfelt obligation to "help" others to avoid any letdowns that he himself has experienced from a dissatisfaction with a game, or one of it's elements.

Sometimes, his "advice" can be truly constructive, as it is indeed heartfelt, but most often, his compounded ire gets in the way, and only leads to his further dissatisfaction with the game, it's elements, and life, in general.

Not knowing how to properly invest his time and efforts into the game, the game becomes but a vehicle, a way to expound his theories of it's shortcomings to others.

While wishing to be "just another one-of-the-guys", for some reason, his propensity to fall back upon his polished sword-of-a-tongue never allows this compatriotism... this feeling of being "wanted around"... and although many attempts are made by this "Pseudo-Gamer" to accomplish what he feels is his duty, those attempts are inevitably vanquished by others who aren't swayed by the sad, vacant look in his eyes.

This type of gamer is not usually prevalent, and finds this "me against the world" attitude to be further befuddling to his psyche... causing repeated attempt, after repeated attempt to justify his crusade against his perceived "enemies".

Hopefully, one day, this type of gamer will be able to see that some windmills are meant to be left standing... some dragons can be left to be slain another day, and it's just time to let go... and maybe find a game to take-up some of his idle, but precious time.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:58 AM

They will never get it P-it's a small minds thing. Excellent between the lines post..............

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:08 PM

I know it's early... but post of the year award candidate here Pugs!

Thanks for that!

• uoducks63
    53 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:15 PM
    I know in the grand scheme of things, it boils down to the fact that this is just a game, but as someone who has a very serious golf addiction and really enjoys some great friendly competition. It is frustrating to know that there are players out there taking advantage of what is a great place to have some good, inexpensive fun. I know sandbagging happens and for that matter, that there are people using software that takes the randomness of the game out of the equation. In the real golf world, maybe its as simple as someone lying on there scorecard, the difference is they aree only cheating themselves, the difference on this site is the fact that, I enter a tournament knowing that i stand a better chance of winning the loettery then winning the tournament. I made master in a little over a week, but have never come close t shooing 20 under and never will, maybe those people are just that good to have a day like that, but every tournament shooting like that just doesnt sound right. I know sometimes people are just better at things, which is fine as long as its on the up and up, and not some program playing for them, besides what fun would it be to sit and watch your computer play golf for you thanks for the hard work and great game, look forward to seeing the direction that this goes as it continues to improve on being the best golf game online......
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:37 PM

Nice one Pugs!

Uoducks63, couldn't agree more. With a little work and diligence they could really make this game and community flourish. Let's hope they pick up the ball and run with it instead of dropping it.

Many good suggestions have been requested, (driving range, fixing cheaters, etc) lets hope they act on them sooner rather than later, or never.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:12 PM

Wow, Pugs... Your addition to this thread has been exemplary.  Thank you.

Very good call on all types of 'gamers'.  Well written, too.

I do have a question for you;  Are you a licensed Psychologist or do you just play one on the golf course??  

(.. and how much do you charge per hour, or is it per issue??)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:39 PM

Snaike:

Wow, Pugs... Your addition to this thread has been exemplary.  Thank you.

Very good call on all types of 'gamers'.  Well written, too.

I do have a question for you;  Are you a licensed Psychologist or do you just play one on the golf course??  

(.. and how much do you charge per hour, or is it per issue??)

Hmmm... "gaming psychiatry"... maybe there's room for a "virtual shrink" in some of the player's bags here on WGT? Any ideas who I could talk to about developing such a product?

:/

RSS