Forums

Help › Forums

Abolish unlimited round tournaments

Thu, Dec 24 2009 5:53 AM (32 replies)
  • Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:20 AM

My favorite event was the Virtual US Open.  That was unlimited play with a cut for the final round.  I enjoyed that tournament as much a anything else offered on this site.  Scratch golf, play your best, no excuses and let the chips fall.

Joey     

• BLM1
    98 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 3:51 AM
    hey SP, not sure if that is a knock on me or what! the wahy AvL wants stated it should be and mine are totally different! His is still unlimited but each scored erases the last one! mine is that you play 3 or 5 and you get the best round of them! if it is not a knock i apologize! Happy Holidays!
  • EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:11 AM

SweetiePie:
    It makes me think you are one of the hundreds who cobbled together the current Health Bill that, likewise, nobody wanted to read.

As a Brit, don't get me started on the American Health Bill. I could talk about how it's a good thing, the NHS etc. all day... (but that's for another thread on another topic on another day)

As for the idea, I like ALee's. It's a case of 'That's a good round. But can I go better?' might make it more interesting!

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:22 AM

How about this?  Keep the unlimited tournies.... but..... make it so the latest round counts as the posted score, and if you ditch the round because it's bad, you get a DNF.  That way there is something to lose if you re-enter the event and have already posted a pretty good score...

Just an idea

How's this any different than right now? I suppose it would impact your average, but there is still the option to play until you get that perfect score.

I have always been opposed to these, but since the advent of RGs and MP, as Tibbs has already said its a small portion of the pot, really very small for a good player. So it's where it should be in my view, very much in the background and no longer a focus tourney in a sense.

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:32 AM

ncviz:
    How's this any different than right now?
     Just adding a bit of a twist to the now mundane.  Makes you think a little more...

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:53 AM

Just a thought, a player can shoot a good round of 30 and still be tied for 90th.  The ability to keep replaying any particular unlimited 9-hole tourney can make your experience non-sequential or mundane.  Thus, the suggestions put forth in regards to posting the last round, or not finishing gets you a DQ makes it more realistic in my opinion. 

I would think this would help reduce ties and make a player think before shooting another round in a unlimited tourney. 

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:50 AM

why not play just one round aday for the week and the 3 best scores of the seven count and the score posted is an average of the 3 best rounds. we can all hit a low round now and again in the unlimited but can we do it three times out of seven.

rename it THREE OF THE BEST.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 10:54 AM

I like that idea also,  definitely would eliminate ties.

• bluebelly83
    46 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 5:32 PM

Although I'm essentially a rookie around here, I like the unlimited play tournaments.  I know that I won't ever win them, but it's nice to play.

I like the first point about how it's "not like real life."  I agree.  I also believe that a 250 yard drive straight down the fairway is pretty far from my real life too!  There are some things about the game that should be made as close to reality as possible (like the physics and most of the tournaments), but a brief suspension of reality for the unlimited tournaments is okay.  It gives us something to try over and over until we're ready to play in the single play games.

In any event, this is a good discussion.

• Longshire
    186 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:03 PM
    Do not..I repeat..do not..get rid of the unlimited free plays...it is one of the best presentations on this site. 1) People with no credits can play for free all week long...and enjoy this fantastic entertainment. 2)People can keep striving to do..oh just a smidgeon better than their best for the week. 3)It's not like there isn't a multitude of other tournaments for the hard-core fanatics to grab even bigger purses. 4)After-thought to 3: The purses are peanuts compared to all the other opportunites. 5)U whiners will never be happy, even if WGT acquiesces..U still complain! 6)WGT...give a virtual hunk of cheese to go with the malcontents whine...LMAO!!! 7)Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!
RSS