Forums

Help › Forums

ODDS, ENDS and OTHER THINGS..

Mon, Apr 29 2024 8:55 PM (1,175 replies)
  • drmoose
    3,535 Posts
    Fri, May 5 2023 12:32 PM

Lol, hey TP hope all is well with you & yours. I imagine you're busy  gettin' the course all spruced up for the season. Too bad I'm not much of a real golfer, or, I'd have to drop by & get ya one @ the 19th.

Doc :)

• HamdenPro
    2,442 Posts
    Fri, May 5 2023 2:29 PM

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,576 Posts
    Fri, May 5 2023 2:46 PM

HamdenPro:

I watched Live with Kelly & Mark this morning and they talked about this.

Contrary to what many believe, it's not Independence Day of Mexico, but a day to celebrate Mexico's victory over France at the Battle of Puebla. What is also interesting is that it gets celebrated more grandly in the United States than in Mexico. So they said.

• HamdenPro
    2,442 Posts
    Sun, May 7 2023 3:29 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Contrary to what many believe, it's not Independence Day of Mexico, but a day to celebrate Mexico's victory over France at the Battle of Puebla

SimonTheBeetle:
    nteresting is that it gets celebrated more grandly in the United States

You are correct, it was not Mexico's independence day, which was 50 years earlier. 

Cinco De Mayo gained notoriety in the US primarily because teachers started putting up posters and had kids do artwork, in elementary schools to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. It quickly caught on and became a big day to party on college and university campuses throughout the US.

Notwithstanding, the date does have real significance in the US.

Mexico did not just defeat the French but caused the French to leave North America. Had they not, they most likely would have supported the confederate states during (and after) the American Civil War and could have altered the outcome as we know it.

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Sun, May 7 2023 5:24 PM

HamdenPro:

SimonTheBeetle:
    Contrary to what many believe, it's not Independence Day of Mexico, but a day to celebrate Mexico's victory over France at the Battle of Puebla

SimonTheBeetle:
    nteresting is that it gets celebrated more grandly in the United States

You are correct, it was not Mexico's independence day, which was 50 years earlier. 

Cinco De Mayo gained notoriety in the US primarily because teachers started putting up posters and had kids do artwork, in elementary schools to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. It quickly caught on and became a big day to party on college and university campuses throughout the US.

Notwithstanding, the date does have real significance in the US.

Mexico did not just defeat the French but caused the French to leave North America. Had they not, they most likely would have supported the confederate states during (and after) the American Civil War and could have altered the outcome as we know it.

I dunno about that one, Steff.  We got a bucket load of them in Canada.

sayin'

• HamdenPro
    2,442 Posts
    Sun, May 7 2023 8:20 PM

• craigswan
    31,287 Posts
    Mon, May 8 2023 10:08 AM

Cinco de Mayo graph meme

• craigswan
    31,287 Posts
    Mon, May 8 2023 10:12 AM

The Origin of Cinco de Mayo
    A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico but as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course as Sinko de Mayo..

• HamdenPro
    2,442 Posts
    Sat, May 20 2023 5:27 PM

• opyeuclid
    6,707 Posts
    Wed, May 24 2023 5:14 PM

Odds , Ends and others ,  

out side the box of what and who we are other than this place some of us call that other place , A  place some or all can be here 4 said coins of new days !  

Things happen and times / updates happen at the same time in different ways .

Enjoy said said I ( Twice )  the game of old that I was lucky enough to have been there fore ,

We v been a part of this and that and more . 

RSS