Forums

Help › Forums

ODDS, ENDS and OTHER THINGS..

Fri, Apr 26 2024 6:49 AM (1,173 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2022 12:00 PM

Yiannis1970:
    So, now we know from where Tin Cup scene (Kostner was playing with shovel, bat) came from!!

What is crazy, to me....since the movie, there became what is known as the "Tin Cup Challenge". PGA players have attempted to play with various items and gardening tools. This challenge was derived from the movie Tin Cup. I find it strange that no one has ever attributed the challenge to the one person who actually did it... John Montague, the felon golfer!

You can see from the following links, it has all been attributed to Kevin Costner in Tin Cup.

https://golf.com/news/tour-pros-take-on-the-tin-cup-garden-tools-challenge/

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/watch-pga-tour-pros-take-the-tin-cup-challenge-show-off-phenomenal-hand-eye-coordination

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2022-bermuda-championship-scores-seamus-power-ben-griffin-share-round-3-lead-at-port-royal/

Link to video of pros taking the Tin Cup Challenge:

CLICK HERE.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Mon, Oct 31 2022 5:36 AM

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Mon, Oct 31 2022 4:42 PM

Well done, both of you

Steff, if I ever need help researching the obscure, I'm calling you

Not even the movie paid homage to the story.

The truth is out there.............

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Nov 1 2022 10:09 AM

HamdenPro:

Yiannis1970:
    So, now we know from where Tin Cup scene (Kostner was playing with shovel, bat) came from!!

What is crazy, to me....since the movie, there became what is known as the "Tin Cup Challenge". PGA players have attempted to play with various items and gardening tools. This challenge was derived from the movie Tin Cup. I find it strange that no one has ever attributed the challenge to the one person who actually did it... John Montague, the felon golfer!

You can see from the following links, it has all been attributed to Kevin Costner in Tin Cup.

https://golf.com/news/tour-pros-take-on-the-tin-cup-garden-tools-challenge/

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/watch-pga-tour-pros-take-the-tin-cup-challenge-show-off-phenomenal-hand-eye-coordination

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2022-bermuda-championship-scores-seamus-power-ben-griffin-share-round-3-lead-at-port-royal/

Link to video of pros taking the Tin Cup Challenge:

CLICK HERE.

Steff;

Given how poorly I played with the regular golf clubs, I should have given these items a try...especially for putting...lol

• HenryKawa
    1,721 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2022 1:28 PM

Hello Everyone.     I'm just popping in to say hello to all my friends on WGT.   

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Thu, Nov 10 2022 2:38 PM

"Some golf courses are longer than others, but the one chosen by Floyd Satterlee Rood boggled the mind. His course was the entire United States of America!

On September 14, 1963, Rood took his first shot from a point just east of the Pacific Ocean surf. His game ended a little bit west of the Atlantic Ocean surf, on October 3, 1964. Thus Rood’s course was 3,397.7 miles long.

For the record, he made it in 114,737 strokes, and he lost 3,511 golf balls" (taken from Strange But True: Cross-country Golf – DeadSplinter).

At the time, Rood was a professional golf teacher at the St. Mary’s Golf Club in Berwick, Louisiana. On Sept. 4, 1963, Rood teed off next to the Pacific Ocean and on Oct. 3, 1964 he finished the hole with a tap-in par into the Florida surf. All the way across the continent covering 3,397 miles — it took Rood around 13 months to finish the hole.

In addition, Rood believed that golf was a means to a better life for all. He has many accomplishments including developing a foolproof putter as well as constructing golf holes at correctional institutions, where he taught boys the fundamentals of the golf, caddying and course maintenance.

The longest real golf hole — with a tee, flagstick and a hole — is reportedly in South Korea. It is the third hole on a course named Gunsan Club. The hole is 1,100 yards long and is a par seven

After further research into Floyd Rood, I came upon this short article in a 1958 Sports Ilustrated..:

"PutterInnovation

Floyd S. Rood,the golf pro at the St. Mary Golf and Country Club in Morgan City, La., drove up to New Orleans the other day, taking with him a gun case which contained a golf club. It was a putter, and a rather special one: Rood had paid a jeweler to make its head of gold, embed a one-carat diamond in it and engrave upon it the words: Presented to Dwight David Eisenhower. For some time Rood has been trying—unsuccessfully—to obtain a White House appointment so that he can present his club to the President. (Less ornate versions of it are in commercial production.)

In New Orleans, he stopped in a cocktail lounge, drew his glittering putter from the gun case and showed it off to admiring friends and strangers. Once or twice he left the table. Then, when he moved on to another cocktail lounge and brought it out again, he discovered that the one-carat diamond had been pried loose from the clubhead and was missing. "Whoever took it," said Rood with understandable satisfaction, "cut himself while digging it out. There was blood all over the blade."

But if the club's head was bloody, Rood's head was unbowed. He will have another diamond mounted in his golden putter, he says, and keep on trying to give it to the President."

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Nov 10 2022 2:46 PM

This dude was, obviously, financially well off.  If da Donald had been POTUS, he probably could have scored a meeting.  Apparently gold is Trump's favorite colour.

Anyway, gr8 story. Very enjoyable read, Steff.

ct

• craigswan
    30,983 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2022 2:26 AM

WORLD KINDNESS DAY

On November 13th, as part of World Kindness Day, we are encouraged to spread kindness like an infectious cold. We want to share it more than usual because studies show when others observe kindness in action they are more likely to carry out an act of kindness, too..

So, imagine if you head out for the day and your neighbor’s garbage can has tipped over. Instead of ignoring it and letting the wind make a mess, you pick it up and return it to the corner. Three other neighbours notice and give you a smile and a nod on their way to work.

One of those neighbours notices a stranded driver on the side of the road on his commute to work. He remembers your thoughtfulness and offers assistance to the stranded driver. Several passers by take notice..

We each have the potential to improve each others’ lives through understanding and kindness. Whether it’s a friend, family member, coworker, or stranger, our ability to show our humanity should have no limit..

On World Kindness Day, let your compassion shine brightly. Get caught showing as much kindness as possible, too..

World Kindness Day | November 13

• DuFussMcGoo
    2,867 Posts
    Sun, Nov 13 2022 12:15 PM

Great thought. They should make a movie out of this.

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sun, Nov 20 2022 9:52 AM

World Record Putt - 135.67 yards (395')!

The Longest Golf Putt 120m (395ft) Guinness World Records | How Ridiculous - YouTube

This officially beats WillieSinkit's 77 foot putt.

RSS