Forums

Help › Forums

becoming tour Legend

Mon, Apr 22 2024 6:33 PM (73 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2020 7:29 AM

EricW55:

I'm resurrecting this post because a lot of players spoke with such conviction, and yet couldn't be more wrong.

I was promoted to Tour Pro with an average of 72 I think because I came second in a weekly tournament.  I was promoted to Master 3 days later with an average of 69.  I was promoted to Tour Master with a average of 67.5 after shooting low in a tournament. At this time I'd never played a Ready Go.  I entered 2 RG's and was promoted to Legend with an average of 65.5 the very next day.

So the information about "how it works" is plain wrong.  And if the info is how it is actually supposed to work then it is broken badly.

No one wrote that's the only way to tier up. There are multiple approaches to tiering up. The information was not wrong. It's correct for that method. 

The initial question dealt with the traditional or most common way of tiering up that players have taken. That's been through playing ranked rounds. That was the context, and that's what we addressed. 

To use an analogy, it's like asking for directions to go to a destination. Someone lays out a map for how to get there. Then someone else says, "That's wrong! You can get there this other way. I know. I've done it!"

Well, no, the first route is not wrong. You just happened to know another route to get there. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2020 7:41 AM

As Robert says there are many routes. Another one is to beat consistently higher tiers in match plays (my case till legend status).

• EricW55
    36 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2020 2:46 PM

Thanks for the reply Robert.

I wasn't playing matches.  Just tournament and practice rounds along with Showdown coin games.  So I assumed I was following the above approach.

Academic now though.  767,243 more xp and I'll unlock the equipment I need to compete again.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2020 7:38 PM

@EricW55 

If you were playing coin games, WGT has a separate set of criteria for tiering up. I don't know of anyone who knows what the criteria is for sure. We do seem to know that, in part, it's tied to levels. A while back, a moderator even posted something to that effect. 

And I do agree with you that you probably need to get to higher levels that will allow you to unlock the equipment that will make you truly competitive. 

• semlaw2
    2 Posts
    Tue, Dec 14 2021 5:04 PM

Based on my own personal experience playing WGT, I believe that playing a lot of H2H coin matches and beating higher tiered players is the fastest way to tier up. Following this track, I reached Master tier at Level 42 with only two ranked rounds, Tour Master at level 51 with only 10 ranked rounds and Legend at Level 61 with 30 ranked rounds. I shed a lot of coins but playing in the upper rooms (Rio, Shanghai and Montreal) against higher tiered players put me on the fast track. 

Another thing I did was take advantage of sponsorship play early on. I always selected 'Swing Edge' for my sponsor and only played Rio while my sponsorship was active. I could get 6-8 games completed before each sponsorship expired which enabled me to  build up my apparel 'abilities' quickly so I could compete against higher tiered players.

I would caution players who enjoy competing in Tournaments to avoid reaching Legend tier too early. With the club selections available to me at Level 66 and apparel abilities turned off in tournament play, it's tough playing from the tournament tees. There are some greens I can't reach in regulation without a stout tailwind. I think I'll be stuck here at Legend for a while. 

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Wed, Dec 15 2021 8:27 AM

semlaw2:
    Based on my own personal experience playing WGT, I believe that playing a lot of H2H coin matches and beating higher tiered players is the fastest way to tier up

Winning matches against higher tiered players artificially lowers one's average. So, if you were a Tour Master beating Legends or Champions, you could conceivably advance to Legend.  However, as I understand it, this does not work once you reach Legend.  Legends beating higher level tiers does not have the same effect.

Coin rooms are another way to advance but, obviously, it is not based on average. I do not know how they figure out advancement via coins rooms.

When I was a Tour Master, I beat a Legend a few times in back-to-back match play and it advanced me to Legend. My average went down considerably after each match. I had also played more than enough games at Tour Master, based on the flash version.

I started playing the mobile version early on when the beta came out, before flash was gone. I played with sponsorships, (swing edge mostly).  I then noticed the weekly competition for most coins earned in a week. I concentrated on those making sure that I was advancing through the levels. Finally, I won two weeks in a row and next thing I know, I was a Tour Legend.  I never had the average, or enough games played to reach TL status.

I have no idea how they figure out advancements now. All I know is that I see an awful lot of LvL 98 Tour Pros and Masters in the coin rooms hitting from much shorter tees with better clubs than I have. 

• spnorton
    401 Posts
    Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:34 PM

I’m with Robert as well… 😁

But great info… I too, tiered up at early levels, getting frustrated with each advancement because I was too “young” to be competitive. I exclusively play coin games and Showdowns and outside of that, never played H2H. I also play exclusively on Mobile device, and despite what one of the previous posters commented, I’m an old fart, not a short attention span youngster. I have a decent record for a Mobile guy… I’m at Legend level 102 and my average has become saturated, only going down. My Tier advancements haven’t gone by the previously posted chart, having advanced without the low averages. I offer this as contrast to the apparent “normal” advancement process. I’m currently with an average about 68, so it will be interesting to see if the game waits until I hit 60 before moving me to Tour Legend. I’ll report back when it happens.

• Dph009
    7 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2023 6:38 AM

Interesting...

I appear to be in a similar position.
    I keep looking at my average going down very slowly.... I am Legend Level 108 / Avg 65.59 at the moment... and last time I shot -6 on a 9H my average just went down for -0.03 or -0.02... which means that it is probably calculated with a total of about 500 games played at Legend level.

So according to the 60.00 rule to become Tour Legend, It looks as I still have to play about 300 games with a better score than a -6/9H or -12/18H

My questions (cause I'd like to succeed to move up to TL): 

• Is there a way to know how many ranked round were played at your current Tier ? (Stats shows I've played 814 ranked round and a total of 1039 rounds played)

• I only have entered 377 stroke play tournaments, is that an issue ? does this need to reach 500 too ?

• I played that game of hitting 5000 balls in the water to be awarded the diamond water award...in order to get more XP points for my CC! Sure, it seriously jammed my stats on Par3/Par4/Par5 average, but I was playing it on Club Tournament. Could this somehow affect the criteria to be eligible for TL ? Do the tournaments played in your CC section counts against your average ?

Thanks for your replies, and please excuse my english ... and my lack of knowledge :)

HNY and Happy Golf !

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2023 11:30 AM

Dph009:
    So according to the 60.00 rule to become Tour Legend, It looks as I still have to play about 300 games with a better score than a -6/9H or -12/18H

No comment on that, partly because "-6" doesn't count, but only gross scores: 34, 29, 28, 32 in your history. Being 9 hole scores, they are doubled for average calculation.

Alas, your scores show that you've played below 30 (9 holes) /60 (18 holes) on a few regular courses - you are on your way!

Concerning your questions:

Dph009:
    Is there a way to know how many ranked round were played at your current Tier ? (Stats shows I've played 814 ranked round and a total of 1039 rounds played)

The best way would be to know the "ranked round" number when you turned Legend and account for RRs outside the count.

It's possible to get a number from your current scores and the average movement, but the best indication of "below saturation" or "above saturation" is, if your average budges on a high score.

Dph009:
    I only have entered 377 stroke play tournaments, is that an issue ? does this need to reach 500 too ?

Nope. It's 500 "counting" RRs of any kind.

Dph009:
    I played that game of hitting 5000 balls in the water to be awarded the diamond water award...in order to get more XP points for my CC! Sure, it seriously jammed my stats on Par3/Par4/Par5 average, but I was playing it on Club Tournament. Could this somehow affect the criteria to be eligible for TL ? Do the tournaments played in your CC section counts against your average ?

The water award may have taken you off the TL track but it will not have negative effects. One one hand, the higher scores are eliminated by the "saturation" effect, OTOH, special CC course tournaments do not count to the average.

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Thu, Jan 12 2023 12:18 PM

To figure out how many ranked rounds you have at a specific tier:

First you will need a baseline for your average that is to the 4th decimal. For example 59.4310. This will be you baseline. You can find the baseline after playing in the coin room. Your avg should be displayed in decimal form.

Second you will need to play a round of golf. Let’s say you play 9 holes and put up a 27. You will need to double the number to get to a 18 hole number. This will be a 54 off of a 9 hole 27 score. After you play this round you will want to see what your new average is.

Let’s say your new average is now 59.4034. You will need to take your baseline number of 59.4310 and subtract your new average of 59.4034. In this case the number would be .0276. From here you will take your new average 59.4034 minus your last round of 54. This equals 5.4034. Take the 5.4034 and divide it by your drop in average(5.4034/.0276). This will give you a number of 195.77. This is how many ranked rounds you have in your current tier.

RSS