Forums

Help › Forums

clubs?

Tue, Nov 3 2009 2:21 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Ryan12332
    9 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:43 PM
    i'm a new pro and would like to know if i should get some new clubs ia still got the starter set u get at start of the game and if i should what clubs should i get what clubs do u suggest?
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:01 PM

Another player launched a nearly identical thread a few days ago, take a look.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:02 PM

Hi Ryan,

After 5 months with the starter clubs I upgraded to the Rapture Driver and 3 wood, tour starter hybrid, tour starter irons and tour starter SW. I still use the basic LW and putter. The Rapture combo is a terrific addition. They have allowed reaching most of the 5 par holes in two shots even in mild wind. The irons are also a joy to play with and seem to be more accurate. All of these up-grades are easy to hit and are certain to add a better, more enjoyable dimension to your play. 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:05 PM

SweetiePie:
    I still use the basic LW and putter.

That's suicidal, SweetiePie.    I'd really recommend the Redwood putter & the new 64-degree Ping wedge (whose distances have meanwhile been fixed; 19 yards default for flop shots, that's pretty nice, paired with the high precision & spin).

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:29 PM

Thanks Mr. Faterson. I have had my eye on the Redwood for some time now. However, I consider my putting style, which is unorthodox; always hitting purposely early or late, along with a very aggressive stroke, because I have zero fear of five foot putts, not in urgent need of review. The 50 yard starter LW is my favorite club because of the variety of shots I have developed in the full, punch, flop, pitch and chip regimens. I view my short game as my strongest value and am reluctant to fiddle with it at this point in time. It is always good to hear your viewpoint on any subject and I thank you for this one. Take care.  

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 2:39 PM

SweetiePie:

Hi Ryan,

After 5 months with the starter clubs I upgraded to the Rapture Driver and 3 wood, tour starter hybrid, tour starter irons and tour starter SW. I still use the basic LW and putter. The Rapture combo is a terrific addition. They have allowed reaching most of the 5 par holes in two shots even in mild wind. The irons are also a joy to play with and seem to be more accurate. All of these up-grades are easy to hit and are certain to add a better, more enjoyable dimension to your play. 

I too have the Rapture driver and love it. I have the Spyder putter and still am practicing to get the stroke down, so use the basic one now. I will add the Rapture 3 wood next and consider irons an a month or 2. Thanks SweetiePie, for those words. i may just end up with the same in my bag.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 4:02 PM

SP-Your putting style is definitely not unorthodox. I've been doing that since I started and while I thought it was pretty cool the way it worked with the starter putter I was amazed to find it actually easier with the Anser.  The Redwood requires a little more diligence with the click but it is by far and away the most accurate putter here. 

What's nice about the Anser is that you get a 4th scale. The Redwood has 5! This gives you more choices for putts and I think you'd really improve with either. 5 foot putts are nice if you park the ball that close but 5-15 is probably more realistic. You're knocking in 47% of your under 5 ft putts but only 8% from 5-10. Focus on the 5-15 ft range and you'll see your scores drop. I believe either of these putters would help. JMO.

YJ

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 5:08 PM

Thank you YJ...sadly, most of the stats for all of us reflect our entire career and reflect very little in regard to improvement over any recent period of time. If I were able to reset all of my stats right now, they would quickly paint an entirely different picture of where I am. As it is, the painting is just  a collection of the colors of where I have been. Thanks though for your input. ~SP~ 

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 2:00 AM

I can attest to SweetiePie's short game ... one of the best if not THE best i have seen so far ... a secondary note ... i thought i was the only one that sometimes putted like that ... leaving the pointer aimed at the hole and clicking early or late depending on the break. Not always that way but usually on the very short putts that are almost impossible to miss ... quicker and easier than figuring out the break and moving the pointer ... does that mean i'm lazy???

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2009 10:32 AM

donsprintr:
    quicker and easier than figuring out the break and moving the pointer ... does that mean i'm lazy???

No, it means that you have one less variable to work through.  I have been putting this way since I realized that I could make the ball bend left or right with early or late.

The only time I move the aiming marker on a putt is when the bend is too severe for the putting meter... other than that, it never comes off the hole.

• PAGES
RSS