Forums

Help › Forums

WGT is rigged!

Tue, Aug 8 2023 11:50 PM (67 replies)
  • garyk49
    2,314 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 11:37 AM

Robert1893:

I remember when that used to be true for some browsers. Back in the day, if you wanted Opera, you had to pay for it. When it first was introduced, Opera was trialware. I also remember getting software on 3.5 inch disks. Installation was always fun... now insert disk 7 of 22. :-) 

Had nothing to do with browers.  Back then you only had 2, IE and netscape.  3.5, lol, those were the last before floppies went away.  Try installing the first Word Perfect that came out from 8 inch.  And nothing ran as fast as they do today

I had one game that not only I had to purchase, but after I loaded it, I had to have the manual ready because I would get a prompt to enter a word from the manual each time I played the game. Go to page 8 and enter the 3rd word from line 5. Or something like that. Other games, I just needed to do that the first time the game was installed or launched.

With a little research there were ways to get around that, along with other things.

Try playing on a home lan when you needed a legal copy in the disk drive on every computer on the lan.  As to the below, well, trust me there were ways.  I was not about to buy 2 copies of the same game just so we could play on a home lan against each other.

They went to great lengths to protect against software piracy.  

Yes they did.  It really didn't happen until programs started coming out on CD's, not DVD's, like today.  And they are tending to even get away from those.  Many things today are direct download.  Just like the APP Store for Mobile.

But anyway, this is straying way off topic,(sort of).  To those that want a FREE games, you have it.  With you be able to compete against mid to top players, NOPE.

• Robert1893
    7,676 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 11:47 AM

garyk49:
    Had nothing to do with browers.  Back then you only had 2, IE and netscape. 

Opera was available in the 1990s. Like I wrote, it was trialware. I believe it became free around 2000. 

Here's a NY Times article from 1998 on Opera:

https://nyti.ms/2IwEMGd 

• Robert1893
    7,676 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 12:53 PM

Son, we live in a world that has fairways and greens. And those fairways and greens have to be maintained by people with websites and computer skills. Who's gonna do it? You? You, professor obscure?

WGT has a greater responsibility than you or I can possibly fathom. We weep for WTF shots, and we curse random winds. We have that luxury. We have the luxury of not knowing what WGT knows -- that WTF shots, while tragic, probably saves our games; and WGT’s exploitation, while grotesque and incomprehensible to us, provides our entertainment.

We don't want the truth because deep down in places we don't talk about at parties, we want those WTF shots -- we need those WTF shots. They use words like "VEM," "downtime," and "updates."

They use these words as the backbone of a life spent building something special. We use them as punch lines.

WGT has neither the time nor the inclination to explain themselves to people who tee off and make birdies under the blanket of the very game of gentlemen that they provide and then question the manner in which they provide it.

WGT would rather that we just said "thank you" and went on our way.

Otherwise, WGT suggests we build a website and post our golf game. Either way, they don't give a damn about what we think we’re entitled to!

• el3n1
    4,495 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 2:37 PM

wow... a few things picked up today... tried to skim/read most of what has transpired...

It looks like some good points, some generalizations, and maybe bantor added in... but maybe that is partly why people end up "debating" small nuances that each hold a grain of truth to them.

for the record... I have never stated the game should be entirely free or wrong to charge for upgrading items.  Nor did I discount or discredit the built in mechanisms to advance players... which is something that may differ from some other games...

WGT uses things like level progression and saturation after 5 ranked rounds to ensure low tier players are promoted to the next tee...  this then alters or effects their gaming experience with the Free equipment offered.  by then, they may know if the game is something they are willing to invest in or not, or grow frustrated because their free trial period is coming to an end and begin to feel forced to upgrade or play like a hack... 

My point was it is plausible to see why a game that markets itself as free can still give off different impressions to people, justifiable or not, when your playing experience is altered due to things like saturation....

Yes I acknowledged the game can be played for free, to an extent and likely for a limited time on the free equipment.  But WGT has clearly built in mechanisms to let's say help you or potentially ensure you get promoted and increase the likelihood you spend money or earn the credits to upgrade your equipment, or move on and find something else to do or play.  I agree it is still a choice for each person at that point, but I can also see once you learn about all the nuances in the game how that can feel differently to different people. 

One of the great things about this community... is there are a few different programs over the course of the year and people, like Robert and many others, contribute to OFFSET the cost of others to play by helping buy equipment or balls.  So, this community seem to recognize the cost associated and step in to help...

It just seems people get bogged down trying to insist only one version or perception of the game is valid when many people can experience it differently.  

• ct690911
    7,201 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 3:04 PM

Robert1893:

Son, we live in a world that has fairways and greens. And those fairways and greens have to be maintained by people with websites and computer skills. Who's gonna do it? You? You, professor obscure?

WGT has a greater responsibility than you or I can possibly fathom. We weep for WTF shots, and we curse random winds. We have that luxury. We have the luxury of not knowing what WGT knows -- that WTF shots, while tragic, probably saves our games; and WGT’s exploitation, while grotesque and incomprehensible to us, provides our entertainment.

We don't want the truth because deep down in places we don't talk about at parties, we want those WTF shots -- we need those WTF shots. They use words like "VEM," "downtime," and "updates."

They use these words as the backbone of a life spent building something special. We use them as punch lines.

WGT has neither the time nor the inclination to explain themselves to people who tee off and make birdies under the blanket of the very game of gentlemen that they provide and then question the manner in which they provide it.

WGT would rather that we just said "thank you" and went on our way.

Otherwise, WGT suggests we build a website and post our golf game. Either way, they don't give a damn about what we think we’re entitled to!

If memory serves, Nicholson was a single take on that classic scene...and ad-libbed a bit along the way. Deniro did the same during his rant in Scent of a Woman....the great ones can do it effortlessly because they own the character they are playing.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 4:07 PM

Robert1893:
    Son, we live in a world that has fairways and greens...

No real need for me to quote the full 'script'. Had me grinning from ear to ear.

I read the original  - aloud in my head - with a totally alien accent to my own.

Classic post, Robert.

Oscar's on its way. 

:)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 5:01 PM

WigerToods2010:

Robert1893:
    Son, we live in a world that has fairways and greens...

No real need for me to quote the full 'script'. Had me grinning from ear to ear.

I read the original  - aloud in my head - with a totally alien accent to my own.

Classic post, Robert.

Oscar's on its way. 

:)

Indeed, classic...like I recently said to my dentist, "You can't handle the tooth!"

• Robert1893
    7,676 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 8:25 PM

ct690911:
    If memory serves, Nicholson was a single take on that classic scene...and ad-libbed a bit along the way

That's believable. As an actor, Nicholson is a genius. 

• Robert1893
    7,676 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 8:26 PM

WigerToods2010:

Classic post, Robert.

Oscar's on its way. 

😀

RSS