Forums

Help › Forums

BINGO-BANGO-BONGO

Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:21 AM (86 replies)
  • eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 6:58 AM

seeing as though Joma is the one who has ACTUALLY tried this format i agree with him.

for this tourney we will keep it fair and play as first mentioned (ranked). but for future reference practice round is the way to go.

thanks guys for the comments. 

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 7:01 AM

Agreed

• Kobalt46
    276 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:05 AM

wow  great match ES...came to the final putt of the match to decide winner..ES took it 14-13...He is doing a hole by hole report....ty for tourney ES  great format  makes you think

GOOOOO      U.S.A

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:12 AM

For what its worth, here my 2¢. Maybe a dumb? And please don't smack me down too harshly but what if we played it in match play format?

Bingo; doesn’t really matter,

Bango; chip or approach shot goes in = Bango & Bongo.

Bongo; if you win hole on match format, 1st in hole is 1 point anyway.

Strategy wasn't my strong point when I played. I’ll bet I’ve missed some reason why we haven’t done it this way, but just trying to think of a way to keep things even and not adversely affect averages.

Hopefully this doesn't stir the pot even more.

If we do play in 'practice' mode, I've found red tees & high wind evens things out a bit.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:29 AM

Excellent idea, res , except for one thing... if it were match play, there's a distinct possibility that the match would end before the 9th hole ( especially with this particular tourny where we played the back 9). Only way that using the match play option  might work is if we limited it to the front 9, yet set up as an 18 hole match. Then once the 9 holes were finished, players could agree to end the match.Doing it this way would satisfy the concerns of those worried about their average being adversely affected.

Playing  in practise mode might work, too. This tourny IS more about strategy than playing for a score. I agree with Joma  a little. As a Master i would get way more off the tee than the pro... 30-40 yrds or more. But, while the pro would have the chance to get bingo by playing his 2nd shot first, missing the green is more of a possibilty for him .  A 2 or 3 club difference is huge, especially in windy conditions.  This could work in the pro's favor, too .. chance for closest to the hole, but then the master can try for a 2 putt to win the 3rd point.  I dunno .. might be fun to try it that way, too.

What i DO know is this .... this was a very cool format .. at times, it was anti-golf ( if that makes sense). If ES tries to do more of these ( I hope so), it wouldn't harm a thing to try it from practise, or match play . Play with a little and see what works best.

Jeff

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:29 AM

First of all I'd like to thank Kobalt for the game. it was my favourite game yet on WGT not only because i won but because the tension was so thick my heart was racing on the last hole.

considering this is my first community tourney the format works well and i encourage others to try it.

Match Report

EternalSpirit V Kobalt46 

(0-0)

Bethpage Black Back - 9

Hole 10

Bad start by ES in the  rough all the way. Kobalt lands on green first but far from pin (0-1) . But then ES over hits and lands further away on green (0-2). ES tactfully played a short putt to leave him with an 8 ft putt and kobalt went for the long putt and missed so ES tactics paid off and after 1st hole the score (1-2)

Hole 11

Kobalt hits rough. ES lands on fairway then on the green 2ft from pin to pull it back (2-2). Kobalt makes a great shot from rough but is not as near as ES to pin, ES takes the lead (3-2). Kobalt misses his putt and ES putts his 3rd shot to take all 3 points (4-2)

Hole 12

Both hit the faiway but ES goes straight for the green to get a point (5-2). Kobalt fails to land nearer an loses out on the next point (6-2). He chooses to go for the long putt and misses but so does ES giving kobalt a an easy 4ft putt to claim the (6-3)

Hole 13 par 5

Both hit fairway off tee but some dodgy play by ES but makes green first (7-3) . kobalt lands nearer (7-4) but ES putts firsts (8-4)

Hole 14

Kobalt tees straight on to the green (8-5) but leaves a gap for ES to land inside but ES fails by a few inches (8-6). ES lips out but then kobalt misses putt. ES takes 3rd point  with a 6ft putt (9-6)  - nail biting stuff!

Hole 15 - the hell hole

Both hit the fairway and wonder how the hell to play this one.. kobalt lands on edge of fairway to loft his next shot onto green. But ES sneakily lands 1 ft behind to take two shots in a row but lands on the rough edge of the green. Kobalt plays a beauty of a loft 1 yrd from pin 9-7 but ES chips nearer the pin (10-7). Kobalt putts first to take 3rd point (10-8)

Hole 16

ES tees shorter onto the fairway and lands his next shot on the green (11-8)  2yrds from pin but kobalt lands inside of ES by 1ft!! (11-9) ES however sinks his putt.(12-9)

Hole 17

Kobalt lands on green after tee shot (12-10).. ES hits rough and then lands on green closest to pin (13-10). Kobalt however sinks putt (13-11)

Hole 18

what a game! Score close (13-11) all to play for

ES tees into rough but cheekily chips just behind kobalt on fairway to take the first opportunity to land on green but lands in rough next to green. Kobalt takes the opportunity and makes a beauty of a shot and lands 4.6ft from pin to bring it to (13-12). ES chips through the rough twice and the ball rolls toward the pin and stops just 8 inches outside kobalt to make it (13-13) but ES keeps his cool and takes the final point and sinks his putt. (14-13)

stroke score

ES - 38

Kobalt  - 34

WHAT A GREAT GAME IT WAS, FIRST TIME MY HEART HAS BEEN RACING PLAYING WGT! as you can see it cost me on avg but what fun it was

• eternalspirit
    255 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:39 AM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

so 4 games in and it is looking like a great tournament with people having fun whilst losing!  keep looking out on this forum for match reports.

but as it stands the scores are:

R.O.T.W                      U.S.A

52                                56

Ellispice      9 - 18    aoerfuqiu

joma1108  16 - 11  Jeffdos924

resozv         13 - 14   ivietri

eternalsprit 14-13   Kobalt46

GOOOOOOOOOO ROTW!! 

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 9:01 AM

Jeffdos, Ahhh knew I was forgetting something. Yes 18 hole MP might be worth a try. Also great play by play “broadcasting” (typing) by you and eternalspirit on your rounds. Maybe WGT will give you 2 a job in the booth. Lol

Eternal, nice strategy try to get points @ #18.

Very fun tourney & enjoying watching the results come in and threads pile up.

Thanks eternal for a cool experience.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 9:15 AM

eternalspirit:

WHAT A GREAT GAME IT WAS, FIRST TIME MY HEART HAS BEEN RACING PLAYING WGT! as you can see it cost me on avg but what fun it was

Damn the average!!! That was so well announced I thought I was listening to the Kentucky Derby on the RADIO.What a game!!! My heart was racing just reading the post ES...I know there was a discussion about how to improve on this a little but now I just don't know? That was exliterating just to read .Man o man what a match!! Well done gentlemen ,Well done

Good Luck Team USA & ROTW~!~!~!        ~!~!~And the suspense grows~!~!~

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 9:18 AM

Fun format...one suggestion and observation though:  Usually, the point awarded for closest to the hole, also known as a 'greenie', is only given to a player that is closest to the hole in regulation

In other words, if your opponent lands their 2nd shot on a par 4 on the green, but you miss the green, you've missed your chance to be closest to the hole because you've failed to do it in regulation, which on a par 4 is 2.  So, in the above example the player who landed on the green would have been awarded 2 points, not 1. 

It just doesn't seem right to have one person on the green 10 ft away in regulation, while the other person is hacking through the rough and manages to finally chip their 6th shot to 9 ft away and somehow be awarded a point.

It's up to you of course, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

RSS