Elevation confusion on putting surfaces

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 6 2019 3:29 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BronxBarrons154
    23 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2019 8:11 PM

I have recently noticed the following:

Let’s say I have a 20 foot putt... and the marker says the elevation is “12 inches” - arrow pointing down.  So far so good... I have a downhill putt.

Okay... my putt rolls past the hole by 1 foot. (Hey... that’s a good lag putt in my opinion... LOL). When I look at the elevation, (number not important) the arrow is often still pointing down.  Should I not be looking at an uphill putt back to the cup with the arrow pointing up?

Am I not understanding what the up and down arrows on the target markers mean?  Or is this a case where the green designer, as a kid, walked to school... 20 miles... barefoot in the snow... uphill each way? LOL

Apologies if this has already been covered in multiple threads.  I searched the Forum and Google but was unsuccessful in finding a topic of this nature.

• callaghan159
    6,235 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2019 8:20 AM

BronxBarrons154:
    walked to school... 20 miles...

The kid should have taken the school bus. That's a long walk.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2019 9:09 AM

WGT measures from the centre of the ball down to the putting surface. This means that a putt of almost a full inch uphill will still show 0 inches of elevation and the downhill arrow. 

• BronxBarrons154
    23 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2019 9:53 AM

fmagnets:

WGT measures from the centre of the ball down to the putting surface. This means that a putt of almost a full inch uphill will still show 0 inches of elevation and the downhill arrow. 

Thank you very much for the reply but when you use “almost a full inch uphill” in your example as compared to the one foot I used in mine, I am still a little confused.

I can appreciate if the first downhill putt is hanging on the lip of the cup, the arrow may still be pointing down but if the initial downhill putt went a “considerable” distance past the cup I would expect the arrow to change from down to up.

PS- While speaking of a putt hanging on the lip of the cup, is there a keystroke that will emulate jumping up and down on the green? LOL

• DoctorLarry
    4,278 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2019 12:16 PM

One thing not mentioned is that while the overall drop may have been 12 inches in the original putt, there may have been a larger drop prior to getting to the hole and then a rise.  You would have to look all along the putt length to see when this happens - and it does happen.

Anyway, if WGT says it goes up or down, putt it that way.

• Yiannis1970
    3,271 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2019 1:03 PM

BronxBarrons154:

I have recently noticed the following:

Let’s say I have a 20 foot putt... and the marker says the elevation is “12 inches” - arrow pointing down.  So far so good... I have a downhill putt.

Okay... my putt rolls past the hole by 1 foot. (Hey... that’s a good lag putt in my opinion... LOL). When I look at the elevation, (number not important) the arrow is often still pointing down.  Should I not be looking at an uphill putt back to the cup with the arrow pointing up?

Am I not understanding what the up and down arrows on the target markers mean?  Or is this a case where the green designer, as a kid, walked to school... 20 miles... barefoot in the snow... uphill each way? LOL

Apologies if this has already been covered in multiple threads.  I searched the Forum and Google but was unsuccessful in finding a topic of this nature.

Just forget the up and down errors and unlock the grid before putting to see  if it is indeed a downhiller or not. Unlocking the grid will also guide you to adjust your stroke accordingly by watching the speed that dots are moving.

You can see how dots are moving by using the up/down arrows to your right of the screen.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2019 2:03 PM

BronxBarrons154:

Thank you very much for the reply but when you use “almost a full inch uphill” in your example as compared to the one foot I used in mine, I am still a little confused.

I'm talking elevation, not the distance of the putt. Doesn't matter how far away the putt is, if it's uphill but with just under 1inch of elevation, it will show as 0 inches of elevation with a downward pointing arrow.

• sheepsass
    648 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2019 12:06 AM

Avoid putting...ace every hole!!🤪

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2019 5:34 AM
    If the putt is downhill 8 inches you subtract 8, If its uphill Add 8 Keep it simple, don't make more of it than you have to.
  • SeveFrost
    1,504 Posts
    Sat, Apr 6 2019 1:25 PM

what works for me after green speed calculations is + or - an inch for every foot of the rise or drop

• PAGES
RSS