Forums

Help › Forums

Best WGT Player of all Time!

Fri, Apr 12 2024 1:42 PM (1,957 replies)
  • HenryKawa
    1,721 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 8:06 AM

I one.  I one.  I one tree in a roll.  

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 8:24 AM

craigswan:
    The sign that you’ve won the argument is when they just go quiet and pretend it never happened...

It's also a possible sign the person considered the last response to be so utterly void of substantive and cogent content the person finally gave up and decided taking time to respond would be a complete waste of time. 

Someone once told me that my responses were "dismissive."

I replied, "They aren't. You'll know when I'm being dismissive. It's when I don't respond. That's me being dismissive." 

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2021 11:35 AM

craigswan:
    is it possible to win an argument on the internet?
    It's when the other concedes verbally: "You're right!"

Other than that, an internet argument is like two kids bashing each other with those inflatable beach toys - imagine baseball bats. It's almost impossible to hurt each other with these. Plus, the additional condition being that they stand ten feet apart - never hitting the other. Been there, done that, 20+ years ago.

craigswan:
    The sign that you’ve won the argument is when they just go quiet and pretend it never happened...
    Like Robert, I go quiet when I'm finished playing with the troll ;)

Edit: I'm finished now, won't reply to the troll's follow-up question.

• HenryKawa
    1,721 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2021 11:10 AM

alosso:

craigswan:
    is it possible to win an argument on the internet?
    It's when the other concedes verbally: "You're right!"

Other than that, an internet argument is like two kids bashing each other with those inflatable beach toys - imagine baseball bats. It's almost impossible to hurt each other with these. Plus, the additional condition being that they stand ten feet apart - never hitting the other. Been there, done that, 20+ years ago.

craigswan:
    Like Robert, I go quiet when I'm finished playing with the troll ;)

Me two Alosso.  Who is the troll? 

• craigswan
    30,988 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2021 5:48 AM

How to win an online argument .

1 - Respond to the initial statement sooner rather than later..

2 - Respond in groups: You're more persuasive to the person you're arguing with if other people are arguing your side, too..

3 - Have a few back-and-forth exchanges with your opponent, but never go past three or four. Up to that point, your chance of persuading them is pretty good. But after that when the back-and-forth goes on for too long, your chances at persuasion become very low...

4 - Don't quote the person you're arguing with. They'll usually interpret that as nit-picking with their wording..

5 - Don't act too intense — that scares people off. Stick to calm, even-keeled language..

6 - Write a longer response if you're actually trying to change someone's opinion. A one-liner probably won't do it..

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2021 6:06 AM

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2021 4:06 PM

pdb1:
    the dark river of denial still overflows its banks

It used to, every year, but not since the Aswan Dam was built ;-)

• HenryKawa
    1,721 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2021 11:54 AM

pdb1:

Damn .

pdb1.   You are right regarding internet debates, arguments, discussions, and who is the troll.  Its easy identifying the troll.... that's the one who runs and hides when confronted, backed into a corner or asked the difficult question.   Fear of exposure is a trolls nightmare.   That's one thing I've never done - run and hide, or refused to comment . Thus:  we know the troll is NOT me.  Paul, you are a funny guy with a great sense of humor and SMART.  Thank you for being my friend.   

RSS