Forums

Help › Forums

Server lag

Thu, Oct 29 2009 4:12 PM (34 replies)
    1,644 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 5:38 AM

So last night I had the worst lag I have ever seen!!!  I was playing in a 4 some on the front 9 of Kiawah and usually I can manage but this was completely unbearable!  As a result of the lag, I lost 3 balls on the first 2 holes!  No amount of "practice swings" would clear the meter.  Unfortunately I was unable to determine which server I was connected to, but if WGT is watching perhaps they can figure out which one.  I have never ever seen it this bad, and nothing has changed on my PC.  It was around 9:30pm EST last night.  And I might add that it was the most friends I have ever seen online at the same time (19).

Lee

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 6:07 AM

Yesterday was the first time that I actually paid attention to which game server I connected to (and disconnected from servers that have been labeled flaky in this thread), and the swing meter was by far the most consistent I've had in a long time (for multiple games).

Even putting in MP games was relatively smooth.

I did have a major swing meter hiccup on the 17 hole of this week's tourny, basically sinking a good round (6 birds, 1 bogey up to that point).   But other than that, the swing meter was relatively consistent for all of my games yesterday (MP and SP).   That has been extremely rare since the release of BPB.

• BiminiBen
    53 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 8:17 AM

I was having serious lag problems last night too at about the same time Lee was on but was playing in a different group.  I was looking at the server and know I was on the psj-gs01 server.  The type of lag was both meter stutter and screen loading after the shot.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 8:51 AM

Yup, the psj servers seem to be the issue.   I believe they're all in the .2x range, so I'm going to avoid them from here on out.

I'll probably force connection to a specific server when I get home tonight, probably the one I found to be really good (posted in other reply in this thread).

I hope WGT is following this thread and looking into this.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 2:38 PM

We are not seeing anything unusual in the server in question, but we will continue to investigate this. When you report issues or submit bugs to us, please be as descriptive of the problem as you can. Sometimes we get reports that say "lag", which is not very helpful.

When talking about swing meter stutters, please also be descriptive. For example, did you pull the swing meter back and then it froze, or did it jump on the downswing? How many times? If you let the swing through, did it stutter again when you swung a second time?

Thanks for your help!

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 2:51 PM

Keep looking at the psj servers.  I've charted my server connections and confirmed the problems every single day since I've noticed them, and now my observations about that particular line of servers is being corroborated by a number of users.

Please note, when I say lag or swing meter stutters, I mean all of the symptoms you described above:  Hesitation/freezing in the backswing, jumping meter on the downswing, occuring multiple times per hole, even with swingthrough.  These swing meter issues occur no matter what type of game is being played, CTTH, single player, or multiplayer.  It also matters not what time of day the server is being used, these issues occur around the clock with the psj line.

The problems may or may not be connected with the problems I listed in this thread.  They also occurred on a psj server.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 8:49 PM

how do you force connection to a particular server?

• BiminiBen
    53 Posts
    Thu, Oct 1 2009 9:09 PM

TheSpaghettiKid:

how do you force connection to a particular server?

I believe the only way is trial and error.  I don't think you can force your way on to a particular server.  I have been on the psj-gs04 server several times tonight and can confirm that it is much worse than GS01 which I played on earlier in the day.  The screen hesitates, the meter stutters on both the back swing and after release, the screen pauses in the middle of a shot.  There was very little to none of this on the GS01 during the  day whereas last night I was having similar problems on psj-gs01.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2009 4:11 AM

Just a thought to picking a server. I don`t know how to get the display on a specific server but, if you don`t have the game window open, then click on a replay to open a game window(replay on a "good" server) you can then continue to use that server for gameplay.?  Or is it random every time?

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 3:09 AM

I can confirm what tibbets has said about the entire line it seems of psj servers ... have had probs with 01 through 05 ... multiple problems such as he has enumerated ... worse during the week and during the day ... that would be cst USA ...

RSS