Forums

Help › Forums

WGT can put an End to Sandbagging!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 14 2011 3:52 PM (37 replies)
  • gobbog
    150 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:38 PM

As a matter of fact I just looked at the Community Spotlight and there is a Hack with a 60 avg, shot a 30 in his first and only round so far. Just lucky?

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 2:43 PM

I have no clue how to stop multiple accounts ... however I've mentioned a way to stop sandbagging ... i.e. ...  players who staying in one tier while having access to the best equipment (high levels).

This happens when a person --- let's say Joe Pro --- makes master and has a 65 average and never again plays a ranked scored round.   Joe will stay a Pro forever ... and can levels up gaining access to the same equipment higher tiers have ... while forever playing from the red tees.

Right now .... players who play stroke play are "rewarded" when their "psuedo-average" (it's not really an average) reach certain levels and you play a certain amount of games.  Yet by playing just match play  .. you can continue to advance levels, have access to the best equipment, and continue to play off the forward tees.   i.e.  Not a level playing field for other match play games, or when entering tier only tournaments if & when that person decides to participate in stroke play.

What WGT should do is ... use Match Play points as another way to "reward" good play.    Instead of resetting them each month ... keep a running total ... then folks can advance tiers either through stroke or match play --- whichever comes first based on the grid below.

An example would be.  (and this is just an example - I have no clue what the right numbers should be). 

1. Become an Amateur at 50 MP points or xx.xx avg after xxx Games
    2. Become a Pro at 200 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    3. Become a Tour Pro at 500 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    4. Become a Master at 800 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    5. Become a Tour Master at 1,200 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    6. Become a Legend at 1,600 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games

If you've played enough games to achieve these point levels, you know the courses well enough and are ready to advance regardless of your average. 

Just a thought.

• MentalChaos
    141 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:02 PM

lvietri:

An example would be.  (and this is just an example - I have no clue what the right numbers should be). 

1. Become an Amateur at 50 MP points or xx.xx avg after xxx Games
    2. Become a Pro at 200 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    3. Become a Tour Pro at 500 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    4. Become a Master at 800 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    5. Become a Tour Master at 1,200 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games
    6. Become a Legend at 1,600 MP points or xx.x avg after xxx games

If you've played enough games to achieve these point levels, you know the courses well enough and are ready to advance regardless of your average. 

That wouldnt work either, due to the fact just because someone is playing MP doesnt mean theyre winning or even doing any good at them. So while this would hinder Sandbaggers by making them move up, it would also screw all the people who actually need the help by moving them up when theyre not ready just because they played a few MP games.

There really would be no quick fix for the sandbag issue, it would require a complex algorithm that involved about 20 different variables.

You could not simply say move someone up because they shot X amount of games or got Y amount of points because then you hinder the low levels who are supposed to be there.

• MrDonVito
    472 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:19 PM

In my opinion, multiple accounts are a product of sandbagging. Address the issue of sandbagging and you solve both problems. I think that the reason people open multiple accounts is because they cannot compete at their current teir, partly because many others are playing below their "skill/teir" level. 

The two solutions I've thought of are:

A) including match play win percentage in the formula to advance tiers

B) introduce player attributes, where as you move up to a new tier your actual player gets better (strength, precision, forgiveness, etc...). this way even though your player is hitting from closer tees as a pro, a legend would still be able to keep up are even hit farther because their attributes are better.

Two other things i think should be done:

A) go back to true averages and

B) count tournament/MPC earnings towards advancing tiers.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:21 PM

gobbog:

As a matter of fact I just looked at the Community Spotlight and there is a Hack with a 60 avg, shot a 30 in his first and only round so far. Just lucky?

Naw...pure skill.

Just like the level 26 amateur with an average of 62 I ran across the other week, who has 2 18-hole rounds and 7 9-hole rounds in their score history.  Worst scores of 64 and 32 respectively, and with 2 rounds of 29 so far!

I think we got us a natural here folks!

• LucaCheezo
    1 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:23 PM

MrDonVito:

In my opinion, multiple accounts are a product of sandbagging. Address the issue of sandbagging and you solve both problems. I think that the reason people open multiple accounts is because they cannot compete at their current teir, partly because many others are playing below their "skill/teir" level. 

The two solutions I've thought of are:

A) including match play win percentage in the formula to advance tiers

B) introduce player attributes, where as you move up to a new tier your actual player gets better (strength, precision, forgiveness, etc...). this way even though your player is hitting from closer tees as a pro, a legend would still be able to keep up are even hit farther because their attributes are better.

Two other things i think should be done:

A) go back to true averages and

B) count tournament/MPC earnings towards advancing tiers.

Great ideas, but will never happen

• johnloaves
    126 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 3:28 PM

WGT claims millions of players ..they encourage multiple accounts, fools thier advertisers

the truth is there would be lucky to be 500 players active

• ifixpcs
    130 Posts
    Thu, Jun 9 2011 4:21 PM

yeah...take a look at this guy

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

• pauls
    1,146 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 12:26 AM

what they need to do is bring back teir based equipment so that the lower tiers don't have access to stuff they don't need yet, if you are playiong off the red tees then you don't need a driver that goes 280yrds, it is that simple, you will get bucket loads of sooks like we had before but tough.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Fri, Jun 10 2011 2:37 AM

Copy of what I sent to member services:

This dual account thing going on but I kind of got ridiculed in the forums when I booted one of these two from my Country Club a while back. If you would take a look at these two players and tell me which one is the real person and how many accounts do they really have.

Both are at the same level, same AVG. & shooting the same scores. No way is this possible that you can shoot scores that low everytime. 29's and 30's and I mean 30's, not 31's or 2's or 3's

The two in ? are:
    (names deleted by myself)

Fishy that the names are almost exactly alike, don't you think? The only difference is in the country.

Check it out and post on the forums that you are looking into it so the dang folks will stop complaining.

Thank You,
    Mnshiner

RSS