Forums

Help › Forums

2018 world cup

Thu, Sep 20 2018 9:22 AM (2,306 replies)
  • kelsp
    2,197 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 4:12 AM

I'll send the squads shortly Finny.

Happy New Year to all the World Cup people here

• pipala
    887 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 4:34 AM

YankeeJim:

PAULFINN52:
    +QUICK UPDATE

Good thinking posting it 6 times. Hard to miss that way. LOL

Lol, Finny been on that funny juice again

• PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 8:10 AM

thx patti

have sent friend request 

paul

• FarFoo
    2,915 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 11:38 AM

I'm throwing this in here because I didn't realise it had been raised in forum , and whilst I know that the question is at least being asked again, I want to be clear what my personal views are for all to see, so I don't have to repeat myself in various PM's.

First off , I got involved in this conversation because it's the best cc tourney since  LVIETRI ran an 'invitation only' challenge back in the day when Deviations were the undisputed top dogs around here. And I'd like to see it continue or prosper.

PAULFINN52:

feel free any players to post comments on here or suggestions as advice would be welcome if it will improve the comp and make it the best team game on wgt.

thx finny 

It's the issue of squad sizes.

DodgyPutter:

Are squad sizes staying the same?

PAULFINN52:

15 players with only 8 playing means nearly half of the squad will not play each match.

12 should be more than enough to cover any holidays or illness really.

i could say up to 13 or 14 but its a choice then,

thx for the input though 

finny

Actually, I agree with that thought , 12 is a good size for a squad ... but .. there is another consideration, the participation of top players. I spoke with woodenTee & Aphrodite about this & got their views and they are similar , and let me add, at TCC we will be fielding 12 man squads for both our teams regardless of any changes or not.

Here's why I now agree with request for option to increase squad to 14 max.(optional)

At TCC we were lucky last WC that the draw came out  a little skewed and we got the only group where every game mattered. Teams like woodenTee 'A' were in a group that was not really a challenge for them ( I think they only lost 5 or 6 games in all group matches ). arranging games & playing at odd times for months in a group that is not a contest is why some top guys will drop out. We will have same problem, if not this time ( we'll see when/if people see weaker teams ), then next time for sure.

My view is that It is up to teams to decide their strategy & manage their teams, not the tourney organisers,  we would stick with 12. certainly this time around, others can do same if they take same view. It has no detrimental effect on the tourney to increase squad by 2 to 14 max (optional), it does have a detrimental effect on the tourney not to.

Seems to me that the world cup , which was/is a great tourney, can either build on last one or become just a fun tourney for decent teams, but have no claims whatsoever about winners being the best, which will have a knock-on effect with a lot of top players in the future.

I think that If the world cup doesn't attract the top players then something else will be conceived that does, most likely it won't be so inclusive. And like I said, the WC , which  was and is a great tourney, will lose out.

Just my thoughts

Foo

• PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 12:26 PM

thx foo for the input

not so keen on the was bit because i have never played or been involved in a wgt comp with so many players from all tiers  and different formats i would like to think its up there somewhere lol.

at the moment we are in discussions about squad sizes and personally i would like to keep it to 12 maximum,i really want all the top players taking part and dont forget its only 1 18 hole match every two weeks but we have a decision shortly,

i can see the point really it doent matter how many players you have in the squad,only 8 can play at one time,

i am learning all the time so comments like yours are much appreciated and thats why i started as i call it my committee because its getting to big for me to run by myself,

really it is a fun tourney for me because my aim was to create a comp where players can make new friends and have a bit of banter while playing this great golf game whoever picks up the cup,

thx

finny

• Borat74
    2,789 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 12:47 PM

Still the best comp on WGT and compared to Clashes and all that Rubbish always will be,i think 12 players per team is sufficient and if rotated in 6 games for round 1 each player will play 4 games and over the 12 weeks for round 1 that is perfect for each player to then tell there captain if its a problem to play that game or not,Do agree that it would be great to see all the top players playing this tournament and with the teams that have entered(last 2 winners aswell),hope that the top players will play again.

Paul

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 1:20 PM

FarFoo:
    Seems to me that the world cup , which was/is a great tourney, can either build on last one or become just a fun tourney for decent teams, but have no claims whatsoever about winners being the best, which will have a knock-on effect with a lot of top players in the future.

I don't get this logic at all. What started out as a fun tourney morphed into something that is now hard as hell to win. This isn't a lame clash, which fits your logic. (Ask the dominating clash team how far they got last year-they got absolutely smoked.) 

IMO, the best players already take part in this because it has become something worthy of the effort with no repeat champion so far, getting stronger every year. If anything, smaller squads would require CC's to really buckle down and put their best players up if they wanted a shot at winning. 

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 1:46 PM

YankeeJim:
    I don't get this logic at all. What started out as a fun tourney morphed into something that is now hard as hell to win. This isn't a lame clash, which fits your logic.

Your problem might not be logic, but reading comprehension. What Gordon is arguing - and I wholeheartedly agree with him - is that it's tough to get WGT's best players to play 2 long matchplay games a month they are going to win anyway. So extending the player limit to 14 would give us among others the opportunity to offer those who don't want to play all games more breaks. 

It's fine of course if you say that this is primarily a fun tourney. I can tell you though that after having to organize our team for this year's event and having talked to Gordon about their situation, the change to 14 players is necessary if you want the best clubs to participate. 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 1:58 PM
    Dear me !
  • PAULFINN52
    3,171 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:16 PM

you know simon im really disappointed in that statement.

its not they are going to win but they are giving the likes of me the chance to play 18 holes with them,i remember when paul english was drawn in a matchplay game against the then great player tazor.there was so much buzz round the club and a load of us tuned in to watch and he only lost by two holes,i loved it but as we know he was accused of cheating,

it gets very lonely at the top and if i was them  would love the chance to have a chat rather than get very bored watchin myself swing a club,

personally myself i want to play every match.i love playing other people and having the crack,

i dont want to get into an arguement on this forum and please no more comments on this matter,

the panel will come to decision about this and it will be final.

we will take it from there.

finny

RSS