Forums

Help › Forums

2018 world cup

Thu, Sep 20 2018 9:22 AM (2,306 replies)
  • birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:42 PM

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, finny. It's just that arranging these matches is a lot of work and many players would welcome it if they play only once a month instead of twice. personally, I played all my matches last year (7 in total) and I loved it, but you can't expect that from everyone. We had real struggles to get 8 players together in the end last year, with a bigger squad there would be no such problems. 

• FarFoo
    2,915 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:43 PM

YankeeJim:

IMO, the best players already take part in this because it has become something worthy of the effort with no repeat champion so far, getting stronger every year. If anything, smaller squads would require CC's to really buckle down and put their best players up if they wanted a shot at winning. 

Hi Jim.

No they dont and its getting weaker, and the reality tells a different story about more best players, we are getting less best players, that's the problem.

Aphrodite not entered last time : Poldi,Agassi,Sebicu, Shankette ...etc... etc...etc  

From what I understand ,last years winners woodenTee will probably not include top guys

fmags,JoeMaverick,Tgkomv ??  ..etc..etc..

This will have a knock-on effect.

Like I said , I don't see a particular downside to +2 squad guys if needed by some..

"Seems to me that the world cup , which was a great tourney, can either build on last one or become just a fun tourney for decent teams, but have no claims whatsoever about winners being the best, which will have a knock-on effect with a  lot of top players. "

birchi:
    Gordon about their situation, the change to 14 players is necessary if you want the best clubs to participate. 

Just to clarify , TCC will have no problem fielding 2 12 man teams this time around, our top players are entering thinking they are taking on the best CC teams at the moment, I don't know if any top guys will drop out when they find out they aren't , but it certainly will affect the tournament standing and I would guess ethusiasm for the future ones, in my view.
    They want to be challenging the top cc teams as well as others, its that simple. 
    And whilst many teams have some top players of course, woodenTee were the winners, Aphrodite are, on paper at least, a match for them. So essentially, the tourney loses status without these imho. 

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 2:50 PM

Seems a no brainer to make it 14...

( it won't affect anyone but sounds like it will keep EVERY  top team competing in future years, it'll become pointless winning this if they don't )

If for no other reason than it gives more plyrs a chance to participate...not all CCs can field 2 or 3 teams.

Andy

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:07 PM
    We had a great game with Aphrodite around August last year and SEL won. They enjoyed the game as did we.........If top players dont fancy playing one or two games a month against lower quality players then fine, everyone has been a lower quality player at some point.........personally i had great games and draws with a couple top players last year (duvall and rfpoul) who would wup me 99 out of 100......i loved the games and feedback from them convinced me they did......playing RGs aint everything........though possibly it is for some........clubs can always organise a seperate world cup and leave us plebs to have fun.
  • FarFoo
    2,915 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:19 PM

PAULFINN52:

thx foo for the input

not so keen on the was bit

Hi Finny

I was refering to the last tourney, which was the first we entered, it was a great tourney...  but I see how it doesn't quite read good,

lol

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:23 PM

bubbsboy:
    If top players dont fancy playing one or two games a month against lower quality players then fine

I think you're willfully trying to misunderstand me, but I will try again. Our best players would very much like to participate in this tournament, but I don't think it's arrogant to note that their main focus lies elsewhere (ready go's etc instead of multiplayer games). So it makes a big difference if they have to play one or two matches a month in this tournament. 

Frankly, I don't see what problem anyone could have with extending the limit to 14 players. It would be great for all sides. As finny noted, it's great to have the chance to square up against the best players of the game for once, I for example very much enjoyed playing against Young64 in this tournament last year. If 2 more players on each team are helpful to make that happen, what's your issue with that? And I know of no player who would say they don't want to play the "plebs". But if you consider that a match can take up several hours of your time (including the time it takes to write back and forth and come up with a date etc), some top players rather spent their limited time here on playing high credit ready gos. 

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:26 PM

I understand fine.

Over and out from me.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 4:13 PM

birchi:
    I think you're willfully trying to misunderstand me

Well I sure am not. In fact, I think it is quite arrogant for one individual to think they're so special at this game that they wouldn't support their CC 2 games a month. 2 games!! Finny patterned this originally around the soccer WC and look how many players actually play on those teams. They have a bench full but the same core plays every game. No one CC revolves around a single individual, this is a team event. 

I'm not arguing against larger teams, I just have a problem with the perception of this competition. For what's out there, I don't see anything that comes close to the scope of what Paul is pulling off and for perceived "best" players to be capricious about participating is a bit galling. JMO, not arguing.

• graemelee99
    2,567 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 4:42 PM

How’s about ‘thanks for organising all this and thanks for taking all your time to make this a fabulous ffabulous comp. it’s not us that are running it, planning for it, taking out time to organise and record it all. If a players participation and input as well as effort involves a couple of matches per month and they can’t do that to represent their beloved and proud CC well then fook me, I’d be embarrassed. If hammering out RGs month in month out are more important than representing your CC then.... cool, but it seems very little to ask of cc ‘team’ members I’d say. Peace out dudes

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Fri, Jan 12 2018 5:43 PM

YankeeJim:
    No one CC revolves around a single individual, this is a team event. 

Exactly, that's why I'm for more players on a team, so they can share the load. The more, the merrier. 

YankeeJim:
    For what's out there, I don't see anything that comes close to the scope of what Paul is pulling off

I completely agree, it's a great competition. Nothing I said should be understood as criticism, but as constructive suggestions. I just think it would make the event even better if the best players participate every year.

RSS