Forums

Help › Forums

2018 world cup

Thu, Sep 20 2018 9:22 AM (2,306 replies)
  • BirdieLady9
    2,458 Posts
    Sat, Jan 13 2018 12:09 PM

Paul.......will look into getting another team from Aphrodite if needed :) Patti

PAULFINN52:

n sorry about this but we need 3 more teams to make the 36 teams

hopefully someone is out there with a team to put forward

finy

• Indian55
    2,997 Posts
    Sat, Jan 13 2018 4:23 PM

indianred would love to join in on this. Can get 12 no problem . I'm Don (indian55)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 13 2018 6:53 PM

PAULFINN52:
    im putting an open invitation to any team who wants to take part in this years world cup

Make sure they understand no mobile players.

• PAULFINN52
    3,172 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2018 12:12 AM

YankeeJim:

PAULFINN52:
    im putting an open invitation to any team who wants to take part in this years world cup

Make sure they understand no mobile players.

yes james tbhats a fair point

no mobile players please,it wont work 

finny

• PAULFINN52
    3,172 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2018 12:26 AM

ok don

send me a pm and il fill you ion on the details

patti if you can thats means we need one more for 36 teams

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2018 2:05 AM

birchi:

YankeeJim:
    No one CC revolves around a single individual, this is a team event. 

Exactly, that's why I'm for more players on a team, so they can share the load. The more, the merrier. 

YankeeJim:
    For what's out there, I don't see anything that comes close to the scope of what Paul is pulling off

I completely agree, it's a great competition. Nothing I said should be understood as criticism, but as constructive suggestions. I just think it would make the event even better if the best players participate every year.

Hopefully the highlighted part was only a misfortunate figure of speech ;-) Cause if anyone is considering playing these few matches a year a load, they're in the wrong competition ;-)

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if we're playing 12 or 14. I was personally lobbying for a 16 roster and 12 matches (13 in the elims). A 14 roster doesn't prevent teams placing only 9 or 10 people on it and playing them all the time, while other CCs may sit some out for a lot of matches. And I really don't care if some only want to play in the playoffs and let others do the group stage, cause I won't be the one having to deal with a disgruntled group of players, who'll be sitting out the later stages ;-)

Although some may embrace such a roll, just to have a chance to play in this. Those are the ones, who are in it for the fun, honour and pride, which, I believe, is what this comp was originally created for.

Edit: P.S.: Although, thinking back, I'm not sure why a 12 man roster would even be an issue. I'm sure any team can find 4 players with enough time to gladly play all group matches, while the 8 busier players only play once a month. Right?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2018 10:49 AM

mkrizan86:
    I won't be the one having to deal with a disgruntled group of players, who'll be sitting out the later stages ;-)

This is actually one of the challenges with 12 player teams. I have 24 players chomping at the bit to play and picking just 8 of them each round is hard. They all want to play and we all want to win so how do you align your priorities?  Tough call.  :-(

• BirdieLady9
    2,458 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2018 12:03 PM

PAULFINN52:

ok don

send me a pm and il fill you ion on the details

patti if you can thats means we need one more for 36 teams

Hi Paul......you can count on Aphrodite to have 2 teams...........will send you a players list as soon as I can  :)

Thanks

Patti

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2018 1:20 PM

YankeeJim:

birchi:
    I think you're willfully trying to misunderstand me

Well I sure am not. In fact, I think it is quite arrogant for one individual to think they're so special at this game that they wouldn't support their CC 2 games a month. 2 games!! Finny patterned this originally around the soccer WC and look how many players actually play on those teams. They have a bench full but the same core plays every game.

It may be a minor point so sorry if you think I'm being trivial but that is just completely wrong.  In the FIFA World Cup the stronger teams almost always rest their better players in "easy" games and dead rubbers.  They take a squad of 23 with 11-14 used in any game.

There are all sorts of reasons that it's not comparable and I'm not arguing (or agreeing) with your post in general.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2018 1:37 PM

mkrizan86:

Hopefully the highlighted part was only a misfortunate figure of speech ;-) Cause if anyone is considering playing these few matches a year a load, they're in the wrong competition ;-)

As far as I'm concerned, I don't care if we're playing 12 or 14. I was personally lobbying for a 16 roster and 12 matches (13 in the elims). A 14 roster doesn't prevent teams placing only 9 or 10 people on it and playing them all the time, while other CCs may sit some out for a lot of matches. And I really don't care if some only want to play in the playoffs and let others do the group stage, cause I won't be the one having to deal with a disgruntled group of players, who'll be sitting out the later stages ;-)

Although some may embrace such a roll, just to have a chance to play in this. Those are the ones, who are in it for the fun, honour and pride, which, I believe, is what this comp was originally created for.

Edit: P.S.: Although, thinking back, I'm not sure why a 12 man roster would even be an issue. I'm sure any team can find 4 players with enough time to gladly play all group matches, while the 8 busier players only play once a month. Right?

I'm a bit confused by this Jure you lobbied for 16 per squad, (I guess you're talking within your CC, or I missed it in the open forum) yet you predict discontent and revolt in squads of 14.

There will be in many teams those that want to play as much as possible and those that find playing and, perhaps even more, arranging matches more difficult but would still like to contribute.  It seems that anyone that would appreciate playing less games in this is dismissed as “can’t be bothered” or “thinks they are too good for us” maybe there are other reasons too. For instance caring for a child or parent could mean that they can easily play a game they can leave and come back to but have limited slots for a match (even with a person on the same continent).  I suppose you’d say again “perhaps this isn’t the competition for them” but why can’t it be?

As it sounds like there will be 36 teams playing, however many are in each of them, what is the best way to let as many players as possible contribute to and enjoy the tournament?

Just imagine for a moment your post was directed at a particular CC, I'm sure that's not the case, do you not think there's a variety of people within that CC who all want different things from this.  Admittedly usually for reasons that would help their team and the way they want to play.  Some may even want their CC to win the competition enough to stand aside and let a stronger player play in the tougher matches, if it was me I'd be glad that I wasn't in the position to mess it up (again).  You could be right and there will be mass spitting of dummies but I doubt it.  Anyway I guess all that's what makes being a cpt tough.

In our CC we will have a team trying to win it or at least come close and a team that are there for some games and to meet people.  I for instance would  prefer squads of 12 and I suppose the team I will be in would then have been stronger.  I expect we'll struggle to get out of our group but I'll enjoy playing the games anyway.

I'm not sure I could say I'll play with honour and pride without feeling a bit pompous but I've always had fun in these games and met really nice people :-)

RSS