Forums

Help › Forums

The Golf Club 2

Sat, Jul 1 2017 12:14 PM (71 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 5:10 AM

11BC2:
    In what world is WGT anywhere remotely close to as good as TGC2?

They're 2 entirely different concepts. What part of that don't you understand? You might as well throw Links into your argument because that was way better than WGT. But then, you had to buy it and install it and could only play on the computer you had it installed on. Forget the mobile platform, you'll never see it there. 

WGT is a community game. It was always Chad Nelson's vision, to have golf bring people together from all over the world and it does. Intense game addicts might appreciate the TGC2 challenge but THAT is a tiny market compared to the one WGT is addressing. No competition.

And that's before all the hacks are figured out.  :-)

• LMD01
    92 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 5:59 AM

YankeeJim:

11BC2:
    In what world is WGT anywhere remotely close to as good as TGC2?

They're 2 entirely different concepts. What part of that don't you understand? You might as well throw Links into your argument because that was way better than WGT. But then, you had to buy it and install it and could only play on the computer you had it installed on. Forget the mobile platform, you'll never see it there. 

WGT is a community game. It was always Chad Nelson's vision, to have golf bring people together from all over the world and it does. Intense game addicts might appreciate the TGC2 challenge but THAT is a tiny market compared to the one WGT is addressing. No competition.

And that's before all the hacks are figured out.  :-)

+1 well said! An You certainly get to meet some great an generous people in here. 

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 7:19 AM

Well I just put in for my refund. " There's no place like home"  LOL

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 9:29 AM

Anyone ever played this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288140/Jack_Nicklaus_Perfect_Golf/

:edit   just thought it actually looks similar to Links.  Taking address off the ball, hitting the spot pin button so the flag flies right at you etc..

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 11:57 AM

kavvz:

Anyone ever played this?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288140/Jack_Nicklaus_Perfect_Golf/

:edit   just thought it actually looks similar to Links.  Taking address off the ball, hitting the spot pin button so the flag flies right at you etc..

Been with that one for several years. Love it. Much easier than GC2, but has many more in-game features which make it fun (real-time golfing..set the time of day of any place in the world, and you'll play like it's that time..sun going down, coming up, etc..also, real-time weather (find a hurricane anywhere in the world, set your weather to a city in that hurricane, and you'll play in a hurricane!!). I like the different swing options of it, too.

GC2 is DIFFICULT...but, it plays exactly, 100% like I would expect to play on any course in real life. 

No calcs, spreadsheets, rulers, etc. Notes are good for landing areas, but hitting that spot or area is not a given. 

WGT doesn't mimic or replicate real life golf at all. Maybe in the multi-player dept., a little, but the game itself is far from realistic. Maybe it's close to realistic for those who can't play it, or figure it out, and they feel great just breaking par, but once you've figured this one out, it's fairly simple. If you (or I) took this game seriously, it would be too simple and too easy....just look at the insane scores shot here. 

I'm here, and will be around until it's gone, but only because of friendships and something to do when I'm bored. WGT has shown, especially lately, that they don't give rat's a$$ about us, or this game's integrity. TG is killing this one. 

It's all about perspective in the choice of the 3 main golf games. 

WGT = Easy. Simple to understand (for some people, anyway). Convenient. The UEl aspect is absolutely stupid, and silly (if that was more realistic, it would be fun) . Also, in order to improve, you need to buy things, which means earning credits or forking over $$ constantly, until you can play (and win) competitively.

JNPG = Much more realistic golf game than WGT. Harder to play than WGT. 100x more options that WGT and GC2 combined as of now (GC2 will only grow, though). I paid 19.99 and have never paid another penny (and won't have to). No need to. They're now offering courses and material things for sale now. It's a business. 

GC2...Replicates exact real life golf. My 1st round was 99. I even played a couple of the harder courses, faster greens and shot over 100. IRL, I used to have a slight fade/slice and would aim left to compensate for it. On GC2, I have a nasty draw/hook, and I have to aim to compensate for it. But, GC and PP both allow for fade and draw shots, which is a plus. 

If I played any PGA or LPGA course, I wouldn't break 100. St Andrews...I'd have a 100 on the front 9 (in PGA-type conditions). Still trying to figure everything out, but I really enjoy it. Definitely not money wasted. (a set of irons for this game costs about as much as that entire game does)

And GC2 and JNPG do have more (way more) PGA/USGA courses than WGT..they're named differently, but exact replicas.

I'll still play WGT. And GC2. And JNPG. They all have their own uniqueness. 

And Gary...you asked for a refund? LOL..you haven't even played the 5 rounds required to have a handicap!! You ever shot a 55 in real life? You ever broke par in real life?

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 1:14 PM

jayw4862:
    And Gary...you asked for a refund? LOL..you haven't even played the 5 rounds required to have a handicap!! You ever shot a 55 in real life? You ever broke par in real life?

Yep Jay, but I went past the given 2 hour window, so no refund......lol. 

Dont play real life, I'm too old..........lmao

• pmm711
    5,555 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 1:44 PM

jayw4862:

GC2 is DIFFICULT...but, it plays exactly, 100% like I would expect to play on any course in real life. 

No calcs, spreadsheets, rulers, etc. Notes are good for landing areas, but hitting that spot or area is not a given. 

Jay,

Thanks for your review. 

Amazon is still selling the Day 1 Edition and I guess this is due to the fact that it's not available in all countries yet.  They are discounting the Xbox and PS4 editions if you're Prime...it's weird that the PC Edition isn't receiving that discount.

I've read reviews that say the game loads slowly between shots.  What has your experience been?

And...if the game plays more true-to-life vs. WGT then I might bite as I hate the low scores on WGT.  No simulation should allow consistent scoring in the 50s.  I'm looking for more RL scoring so the game might just be a fit for me.  I'm with you though...too many friendships on WGT to warrant leaving.

Thanks again!

Paul

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 2:18 PM

Fantastic review Jay.

Only our club comps and friends keep me here as the boredom would set in with this game if it where not for it. Harder game is fine for me, i quite like a challenge and i said earlier on here TW games became so easy they became boring.

I wont be getting it for PC as my specs are just on the cusp.

So i guess i will get my xbox1 dusted off and get it for that

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 3:01 PM

pmm711:
    I've read reviews that say the game loads slowly between shots.  What has your experience been?

Once you hit begin round, it takes about the same time as wgt does to open and get started (less than 10 seconds). After that, once you hit the shot, and it stops, the next shot is immediately right there (not even 1 second). 

Bubbs...you'll probably do much better than I do, since you'll use a controller game pad thing (I've never owned or played a console game..too many buttons!!). Seems that's what the top players use, though. I guess it's easier to keep the motion equal and the swing line straight. 

I use my logitech M100 cheapie mouse and I'm all over the place (which is similar to my play here, lol). 

My handicap is at 17.5 :-(

And that's from red tees and on the easy courses.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, Jun 29 2017 3:39 PM

I feel i wont be any better but thats the fun of it..........i think ;-)

I aint online on xbox, not one for running around in teams shooting folk, so never wasted my money, but i may have to with this as societies are the fun of it.

I will see if i can have any fun in career mode first

Saying that i have a lot to do in our club on here so i will be sparingly playing it i think

Or there maybe a divorce ;-)

RSS