Forums

Help › Forums

green speeds changed?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Apr 21 2011 11:02 AM (6 replies)
  • gotstewart
    201 Posts
    Thu, Apr 21 2011 9:33 AM

I'm just curious.  Did the green speeds change here recently?  Been playing the same RG's for 3 weeks and all of a sudden in the last couple of days, I can't make a putt to save my life.  I see roughly the same shots but the putts are screaming past the hole.  I have primarily been playing the TM Oakmont and SA RG's.  I almost always use the 30 ft scale (Daytona putter).  For TM tourney speed, I figure 7.5 ft per animation.  That has been pretty close up until the last couple of days.... Or have I just lost my mind?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 21 2011 9:52 AM

There's 2 Tournament speeds-one for TMs and one for Legends. They're both called Tournament but aren't the same. The Legend speed is 10% faster than TM.  The only way you know is by putting on them.

RG conditions change and I suspect you ran into one with the Legend version of Tournament speed.

• wildcat18racing6
    420 Posts
    Thu, Apr 21 2011 9:54 AM

I dont use the avitar movements to putt but is there not 5 movements on the 30ft scale? that would be 6 feet per movement?

• gotstewart
    201 Posts
    Thu, Apr 21 2011 10:00 AM

YankeeJim:

There's 2 Tournament speeds-one for TMs and one for Legends. They're both called Tournament but aren't the same. The Legend speed is 10% faster than TM.  The only way you know is by putting on them.

RG conditions change and I suspect you ran into one with the Legend version of Tournament speed.

Oh I know that Jim, but I didn't think the same RG conditions changed from one day to the next (well except for the crapshoot called wind direction).  I was referring to did they change the stimpmeter for TM tourney speed.  But you do bring up a point.  Does the green speed change for the same RG from one day to the next?

• gotstewart
    201 Posts
    Thu, Apr 21 2011 10:03 AM

wildcat18racing6:

I dont use the avitar movements to putt but is there not 5 movements on the 30ft scale? that would be 6 feet per movement?

For me 6ft per movement works on fast greens.  7ft for very fast.  7.5 to 8 for TM tourney.  I haven't quite worked out legend tourney.  Haven't played enough on them.  I do wish they would differentiate between the two.  But hell, that has been asked for and ignored too lol

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 21 2011 10:36 AM

gotstewart:
     Does the green speed change for the same RG from one day to the next?

I'm not sure how often the conditions change but I do know they change. The only stimpmeter I have ever seen from WGT is here.

If you want an a look at the conditions before you tee off you can see them for the RGs here (under the Tournaments tab at the top of this page.) The Tournament description still doesn't distinguish which speed it is, though.

FWIW, if you're using the avatar move method I find the difference between the 2 speeds is simply the move. Full move for TM speed, just before the move for Legend.

• wildcat18racing6
    420 Posts
    Thu, Apr 21 2011 11:02 AM

Oh, i see what your saying now. sorry misunderstood your post.

RSS