Help › Forums

Slow gameplay and pauses while playing

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 27 2009 6:22 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:27 PM

I don't know, tibbets... I have an older machine, run IE8, usually with itunes or windows media playing in the background and will only occasionally get a stutter... perhaps around hole 14, 15 or so during a long MP round...

But I let a few practice swings go by and it's fine again.  Oh sure, there is the odd stutter here and there, but just letting is swing through is never a problem.

I guess it's because WGT and I are in the same geographical area... I can't think of any other reason why you all with your 'top o' the line' machines suffer. 

It is a mystery =)

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:43 PM

I was finally able to complete the game I started this morning. It was after 4:30pm Central time, and most of the country was on its way home from work. The meter worked great, no stutter, no lag nothing. And all without any adjustment to my computer.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:44 PM

Well, what I'm trying to tell you is that it's not a mystery, if you know about flash programming and memory management on a PC, which I do in spades.  Why should you have to take practice swing throughs at all?  Like I stated, its one golf shot on a static map.  The 'mystery' is solved, it's an inherent flaw in the coding of the game.  There is no process that runs on your computer (you can check this by Ctrl-Alt-Del and opening the task manager) that ever comes close to the memory usage that this game does.  If I have to shut down all kinds of things to get an avatar on a static map to hit a ball smoothly, there is something wrong with the game itself, not anyones computer or flash cache.

There's a thing called server load and it also can have a ton to do with why meters stutter.  This is never admitted by WGT however, it's always thrust upon the players to 'clear their flash cache' and what not instead of simply stating, "Sorry guys, server load has been extremely high the last few days and we apologize for any stuttering with the game you might have been experiencing".  They have a variety of different servers running this game, and depending on the time of day and what server you connect to, you'll get varying results with gameplay performance.

Independent of the server load issue is the plain and simple fact that this game requires a lot more resources on your computer than it needs to, and if gameplay here is ever going to be consistent, it's an issue they will have to address in dramatic fashion.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 3:55 PM

Or the servers are overloaded, because of the number of people playing. If it were strictly a coding problem, it would be constant, not intermittent, or just when the most people are on line.

• coolhotfun
    229 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 4:06 PM

hey john9571, if the meter starts stuttering after you let it go to swing, just dont click it, it goes past and does a practice swing above the ball and you dont lose a stroke. Keep an eye on it though.. might start going back ok but only start stuttering just before the middle and ruin the click.. lol. Generally its been working allright though.

• rnegv
    55 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 9:29 PM

Snaike.......You live in Norcal?

• chuckiee
    2,194 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 12:36 AM

Tibbits

Thanks for the best info ive seen in the forums in a long time. WGT has known and will not address this issue since I have been a member of this site why? the other thing is why do players deny that this is not a issue and at some point it does not effect there game. Come on WGT you have the best game out here fix it and lets be done with it. I started to go on and on but I'll end it here fix the meter issue and thanks again Tibbits

chuckiee

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 5:36 AM

A couple of things that might help. Wireless and WGT don't get along. I have a DSL line at my shop and a wirelss router at home off a cable line. I gave up trying to play golf at home because of the communication delay while the DSL hookup is mint.

I used to think my wireless mouse was not a problem until I tried a USB mouse. All this time I thought I just plain sucked at hitting perfect when it turns out that nanosecond of delay between the mouse and the receiver made a difference. I still don't hit perfect every time but my rate went up about 75%!

WGT does warn about wireless connections but I didn't think the mouse would make a difference-wrong!

Also, I like to play fast and sometimes, after I make a change like ball spin or club or aim, if I don't let the game adjust to my changes I get a stutter in the swing. If server load is an issue I could see where this would cause a problem by me not being patient.

I'm sure this isn't going to be a big fix for anything but it helps. I only get beat by the meter when I'm not patient.

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Thu, Aug 27 2009 6:22 AM

I experience no difference whatsoever in performance between wired and wireless, the swing meter still goes from smooth to totally umplayable on either.

I have tried other computers and its been the same, i've also tried IE, firefox and chrome and it did seem marginally better with the last 2 - gamebooster didn't seem to have any affect at all. I play with everything else switched off and can sometimes get through 4 or 5 holes without a problem, but multiplayer is usually always bad, plus you don't have the option to just wait for the meter to improve in multiplayer.

If this is a problem with load on servers or coding then it would be good to at least hear someone from WGT aknowledge this.

• PAGES
RSS