Help › Forums

Slow gameplay and pauses while playing

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 27 2009 6:22 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • john9571
    11 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 12:41 PM

I have not been here for quite a few months and decided to give it a shot again due to the swing meter stopping and going again in the middle of your swing....Now I am back to give it another shot and downloaded everything needed to play the game without any problems and when you are in the middle of your swing and the meter just pauses and kicks in all of a sudden is just plain old ridiculous. What is the problem here???? I need to know because if there are people that have high rankings they must not have ANY problems and I DON"T want to have any problems either....I am getting tired of having crappy scores because the game bogs down like that. Please respond with some info and don't tell me anything in a cocky attitude because this is an issue that needs to be addressed in a professional manner and would like to stay here and play but if this keeps up what is the point. Please help me?????

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 1:24 PM

First of all, there is nothing to download, unless you needed the new Flash 10.. therefore you would have the most current...

If you are still seeing the meter stutter and freeze, there are a number of things you can do... clear your cache, clear flash cache, (instructions over there ----> under "troubleshooting"),... some people swear the game plays better in Google Chrome or Firefox or any number of different browsers etc..

Most of the time, any stutter you see on your meter is caused by your machine and is not controlled by WGT.  There are exceptions (large resource heavy ads, etc) but they are just that... exceptions.

Good luck finding what works best for you and we'll see you on the course!

Peace

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 1:52 PM

No, this time it's definitely on WGT's end.  Been here since the beginning, and right now gameplay is about as bad as it's ever been.  I can't get through 9 holes without serious hesitations in the swing meter.  I run a pretty high end machine and it's only recently that the issues have crept up.  It has nothing to do with clearing flash caches or other services running:  This is the same machine and setup I've been using since the beginning.  My internet speed has only increased since then as well.  I've turned off the advanced loading, muted all sounds and notifications, removed the reflections, played in IE, Chrome, and Firefox.  Not one thing has helped or changed.

No, this is and always has been a serious flaw in the coding of the game.  The steps given by WGT to improve performance help for a time, but inevitably they come back for many people.  I've played hundreds of flash games, and I haven't had to clear my flash cache for any of them...just this one.  

It has to do with how the game manages it's memory allocation.  When your meter stutters or spikes, it is WGT literally spiking your computer with extraneous data being sent from their server to your PC. You'll see it in the lower left hand portion of your game window.  Just stand on the tee box for awhile, and you'll see the message, 'Transferring data from psj-gs02.wgt.com ' (or whatever server you happened to be connected to).  I'm not moving, what's being transferred exactly?

Think about it:  When you are standing over your shot on the tee box, what is going on?  There's no wind moving the trees, no ripples in the water, no birds flying across the screen, no animated fans on the sidelines cheering or moving.  In short, NOTHING is going on, to the naked eye, that would demand any sort of data transfer being sent from a WGT server to your PC.   It's just a static avatar, ball, and an HD photo.  All the game has to do is manage the swing bar, move the avatar in the form of your club being raised and lowered, and then present a visual replay of the result once the swing has been completed.  We're not talking Call of Duty madness here, it's one golf shot on static terrain.  Why on earth would it be so difficult to have that swing bar be steady and even if it weren't from a fundamental flaw in the coding of the game?  They'll never admit it, but for those of us who know about PC's, networking, and programming, we know better.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:19 PM

I'm not sure if its the code of the game, or server load, but today between 10am and 1pm central time (when I last tried) I have been unable to play without taking 5 or 6 "practice swings" for every shot taken. I think its related more to the server load than anything else, as the game (meter) plays flawlessly when server load is down. I'll find out after midnight, local time, tonight.

• john9571
    11 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:22 PM

Well, I am glad that this is not just happening to me. But the big thing is, I would like to know how these people with VERY high rankings deal with the game. I know for a fact they won't answer ANY of these questions just so they can beat EVERYONE to get credits and prizes and everything else. I would get an account through this site but as long as this continues why would ANYONE do that...It is just senseless. If there are any people with HIGH rankings that can answer this question please do so. I have THE best computer that money can buy because I buy and sell concert tickets so I need it and I run Mozilla and I clear caches and so on and so on....But if we can get this fixed maybe there would be more players that would pay for the site....But I doubt that will happen....Thanks for all of the comments that were left and appreciate the help. WGT needs to address this issue before they lose more and more people....Thanks again

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:27 PM

Well john, I happen to be one of those 'very high ranking people', and I can tell you that it hasn't always been easy to keep the stutters away.  I've changed from IE to Firefox, that helped a little for awhile.  Like I said above, I mute all the sounds and notifications, close all unnecessary services running on my PC, and run a memory manager to help defray some of the spiking that oocurs during gameplay.  It's usually not as bad in single play mode as it will be in multiplayer mode.

• john9571
    11 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:38 PM

Now is multiplayer mode considered stroke play and closest to the pin???? What kind of memory manager do you use???? I am sorry for any disrespect but I like playing the game until I get screwed just all of a sudden....I'll mute sounds and notifications and all and if I could get some kind of memory manager I would appreciate it....I love this game but Im not going to continue as long as my scores are above 400 for closest to the pin...It ain't happening....Thanks and sorry again

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:41 PM

No, I meant multiplayer mode as in, creating a stroke play group with other people.

As far as memory managers go, I'm not really allowed to advertise for another company here directly, but if you google 'game booster' you'll get on the right track.

Good luck.

• john9571
    11 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:46 PM

Thanks Tibbets, I appreciate your help and I am sorry for any disrespect by my comments about high ranking players....I don't mean anything unless I have a reason....I'm sorry and if I can fix this maybe you will have a little competition on my end....Thanks again....

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Aug 26 2009 2:48 PM

No worries man, glad to help.

• PAGES
RSS