Forums

Help › Forums

Kitchen Cupboards.

Fri, Mar 18 2011 7:33 PM (27 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 5:43 PM

It is simply the combination of the brain working with money to solve the problem.

• Disloid
    32 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 6:35 PM

A potentially interesting experiment which I'm sure could eventually lead to some highly lucrative cupboard design improvements. However I believe the empirical evidence of statistics gathered by the methods you have outlined will unfortunately be fatally flawed because of the variable kitchen parameters.

i.e.

You do not specify whether you have used Salted or Unsalted butter for lubrication. Both of which will have different frictional coefficients (despite both being from the 'butter' family) One poster above has already described using Extra Virgin Olive oil which is entirely different again. These different frictional coefficients will alter the harmonics reaching the testers ears.

Also I'm fairly sure that one or other cupboard would be nearer to either a fridge/freezer or cooker. Hence the air in the opposing cupboards would be either cooler (more dense) or hotter (less dense) which would, again, adversely affect the acoustical properties.

Likewise the positioning of the cupboards relative to doors, windows and extractor fans in the kitchens will affect the airflow around the cupboards.

You make no mention of the cupboard contents (plates, glasses, tinned goods, or even bare) all of which will affect the amount of reverberation recorded.

Hair length and ear 'jewelry' will play a part too, etc. etc.

Alas I fear that as desirable as these statistics would be, until you provide concise definitions to the address the above variations, we will never find the solution to this Holy Grail of Cupboardry.

• sdorr
    650 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 11:21 PM

Like I said, an instructional video is needed to cover all of these fine points you scholarly individuals have brought to light.

• MioKontic
    4,600 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 4:35 AM

SweetiePie:

It is simply the combination of the brain working with money to solve the problem.

But if all else fails, make sure you have a large hammer at hand.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 9:12 AM

LizzieRossetti:

Anyway,to make a short story long,I then experimented by reaching around the front of each cupboard separately and opening and shutting each door in turn.The noise transference was different in each case,which mildly satisfied my initial curiosity,but then I thought,was this because each ear might discern sound differently,or was each cupboard REALLY making a sound unlike the other?

Lizzie xx

LOL..........you gave the cupboards a reach around 

But seriously though.....great post funny funny funny.   

And yes I have carried out similar goofy tests as such but can't recall enough details to describe being that they were alcohol induced.

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 10:00 AM

LizzieRossetti:
    This evening whilst preparing dinner I noticed that two of the wall mounted cupboards had a gap between them,and I became interested in knowing whether or not I could fit my head between them.

One time way back in the past and whatnot I helped a lady friend assemble a TV cabinet. It be one of them fancy modern deals and such with doors and lil cabinetss and all them soorts of stuff.

While running them electrical cords up thru the back and such I got my head stuck in one of them cubbie cabinets. It was very stuck - and my friend - CoosBayCarol - just laughed and laughed. Every 3 minutes she would collect herself and come back to help me but then she just go bustin into the gigglers again - this dance lasted fer about 2 hours before I could talk her down and get a screwdriver into her hand. 

Thanks - I am Yancy

• YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 10:15 AM

sdorr:

Like I said, an instructional video is needed to cover all of these fine points you scholarly individuals have brought to light.

Perhapsables - my paranormal explorables team could stage a re-enactment of Lizzie's event and video it up and whatnots.

I will have my people talk to Lizzie's people.

Sincerely, Yancy - The Common Man Country Club

Yancy's WGT YouTube Tootorial & Golfin Tips Vidyas Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/yancycan

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 10:24 AM

All I got is this cell phone picture sent to me.....if you know where Jim's at today send the Jaws of Life!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 11:23 AM

ROFLLMFAO!!! Too funny Andy.

You had me going, though, before I realized those were the cheapie cabinets with Homer Depot tops on them. Ugh, arches on base cabinets. Besides, I make the openings big enough not to get stuck in and then fill it up with wine.  :-D

• MioKontic
    4,600 Posts
    Thu, Mar 17 2011 2:06 PM

YancyCan:
    I will have my people talk to Lizzie's people.

That round table has been collecting dust for a while, about time it was used again.  Boy, am I looking forward to this video!

This thread has been so funny that I can't even be bothered with the golf!

RSS