Forums

Help › Forums

Kitchen Cupboards.

Fri, Mar 18 2011 7:33 PM (27 replies)
  • LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 12:06 PM

This evening whilst preparing dinner I noticed that two of the wall mounted cupboards had a gap between them,and I became interested in knowing whether or not I could fit my head between them.

It turns out I can,but only if I scoot up on to the counter and sit there.It was a tight enough fit but not tight enough to require buttered ears in order to extricate myself,however,both ears(I only have two,more or less matching)were flush with the cupboard to either side.This drew me onto the subject of the acoustic properties of the two cupboards,given that they were both of different sizes,which I realise is something of an oxymoron but I just know you know what I mean.

Anyway,to make a short story long,I then experimented by reaching around the front of each cupboard seperately and opening and shutting each door in turn.The noise transference was different in each case,which mildly satisfied my initial curiosity,but then I thought,was this because each ear might discern sound differently,or was each cupboard REALLY making a sound unlike the other?

My option then was to turn around(I had to move the spices and the toaster) and insert my head the other way.I found it almost impossible to open and shut the doors this way,I mean I'm pretty flexible but this was beyond the boundaries of what might be termed acceptable limits of flexibility.There was also the problem now of my face being pressed to the wall,which would of course have its own effect of any sound produced.

So basically I was wondering if anyone else had carried out similar tests,and in particular,has anyone noticed whether their Golf Clubhouse has any such arrangement in the kitchen.It would be fascinating to compile statistics about this don't you think?

Lizzie xx

• Bristoluk
    412 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 12:13 PM

lol ur funny bt wierd

• WiredBullets
    103 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 12:17 PM

I can't figure out whether Lizzie needs to be admired on a pedestal for being brilliant, or straight jacketed and duct taped TO the pedestal for being nuts...

• sdorr
    650 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 1:47 PM

I believe that an instructional video should be provided by you so that all who may wish to participate in this experiment of yours has the proper technique. This would include how you insert your head between the cupboards, the proper way to open and shut the doors, and an expected full range of motion needed.

This way all of the compiled statistics are accurate.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 2:20 PM

As a builder of custom kitchens I caught the thread title and came running over thinking maybe the Europeans were coming up with a new design (we follow them in that area) only to find this? 

'scuse me whilst I dejectedly make my way to the door.   :-(

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 2:38 PM

LizzieRossetti:
    There was also the problem now of my face being pressed to the wall,which would of course have its own effect of any sound produced.

I can verify that your face to the wall does, indeed, have an affect on one's hearing.

In my much younger days, I spent an incredible amount of time studying that very thing (not, however, of my own free will).  Looking back, I would have to conclude that standing with your face to the wall not only improves your hearing but also heightens one's LISTENING skills. Those gains, however, were obviously short-term as evidenced by my repeated ... um .. experimentation.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 2:56 PM

YankeeJim:
    As a builder of custom kitchens

Well, in that case then YJ, you're in the perfect postition to try the experiment.  In fact, you could suggest to prospective customers to have a gap one head-width apart between new wall cupboards and they can then add their finding to this very interesting experiment.

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 3:33 PM

I have just thought of something.

It is by no means beyond the realm of possibility that one might actually get ones head stuck fast whilst furthering the boundaries of science.

It is for this reason that I suggest that one should endeavour vigorously to ensure that any Human Interface Device used to transfer comment from ones mind to the PC is within easy reach at all times during the experimentation process.In this way,one can not only share the vitals of the cause,but one might also be able to enlist help if required.

Further to my original post,I now have discovered that ones head enlarges as the day progresses,which could also be a causal effect of having eaten recently.That or constant abrasion to ones ears can stimulate them enough to reduce the admittedly miniscule clearances required for safe retrieval.

Dad reckons he will be about 30 minutes,so for the people I was due to play a round with,would you mind awfully amusing yourselves until I am once more able to participate freely?

Many thanks.

Lizzie xx

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 4:30 PM

I didn't have any butter so I tried olive oil (extra virgin). I got stuck.  LMFAO!!!!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 16 2011 5:14 PM

MioKontic:
    Well, in that case then YJ, you're in the perfect postition to try the experiment

Heh-The thought crossed my mind but I'm waiting to see which Lizzie is stuck with her head in a dark place.  :-D

RSS