Forums

Help › Forums

The Orlando Shootings

Mon, Jun 20 2016 2:55 AM (100 replies)
  • hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 4:57 AM

As it stands right now - there is a (short) list of reasons for which you would be not allowed to buy a weapon.

Unfortunately being on the No Fly List, or being under investigation for suspected terrorism are not part of the list.

Hard to believe - but true!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 5:46 AM
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 5:49 AM

Jimbog1964:
    Progress of a kind??? Go Trump if I have that right having whizzed the article, but saved for later...

Heh. Pandering to the mass mentality in the wake of a tragedy. Nothing like a little bloodshed to boost the buffoonery.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 6:18 AM

YankeeJim:

Jimbog1964:
    Progress of a kind??? Go Trump if I have that right having whizzed the article, but saved for later...

Heh. Pandering to the mass mentality in the wake of a tragedy. Nothing like a little bloodshed to boost the buffoonery.

If it stops some of the whacko I would take it...Like I said progress "of a kind"  (EDIT: Hope that never came across as confrontational to you, not meant to be)

EDIT: Huge loss and huge questions to be answered as to why was not done, BUT strangling high discharge bazookas for "self defence" arguably made a difference for what this nut job could manage................... Anyway it's there to read..........shameful mismanagement of the situation it looks like (early though to say I know), but way second to the subject of this thread, and that only shows how bad it is to me - All very sadly as it's now only 60 days until a mass shooting repeats...

EDIT: please think twice if any one thinks her walking out with two six shooters slung low would have helped.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 6:51 AM

I would like to say a huge thanks to the mods for letting this thread run.

I would have no complaints if they gave me a sin bin for my Ts and Cs violations here.

From a humanitarian POV I think it's been a very worthwhile thread.  Some differing views yes, but laid out in a well-intended way that many politicians might learn from.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 12:25 PM

hakman123:

As it stands right now - there is a (short) list of reasons for which you would be not allowed to buy a weapon.

Unfortunately being on the No Fly List, or being under investigation for suspected terrorism are not part of the list.

I know it sounds ludicrous....but the argument is there are lots of people on these lists who don't belong there..they were placed on there by mistake. It was mentioned in a previous thread that even Cat Stevens was placed on the no fly list and banned from entering the USA.

• thesupernova
    7,331 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 2:16 PM

'Mommy I love you...I'm gonna die': Horror of Florida  club massacre plays out via one mother's texts

As the victims of the Orlando shooting are revealed, one mother shared a tragic series of text messages with the New York Daily News, detailing the last moments of her son’s life.

Mina Justice was fast asleep on Sunday morning when she received the first alarming text from her son, Eddie Justice, 30.

“Mommy I love you,” Justice texted at 2:06 a.m.

“In club they shooting.”

Justice tried calling her son, but there was no answer. Finally to calm her panic, he responded, “Trapp in the bathroom.”

Over the next two minutes, Justice and her son sent a flurry of texts in an attempt to keep tabs on Eddie’s whereabouts. She called 911 around 2:08 a.m, after Eddie sent, “I’m gonna die.”

The shooter was in the bathroom where Eddie was hiding and had taken the group inside hostage.

After another series of exchanges, Justice received a final text from Eddie, confirming that the shooter was still in the bathroom.

Filled with anxiety, Justice received the confirmation she feared, that her beloved son was one of the 49 killed at Pulse nightclub.

Back to the tragedy at hand.

Many thanks to those who respected the spirit by which this thread was posted,

Hugs

Allison

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 6:40 PM

ct690911:

hakman123:

I know it sounds ludicrous....but the argument is there are lots of people on these lists who don't belong there..they were placed on there by mistake. It was mentioned in a previous thread that even Cat Stevens was placed on the no fly list and banned from entering the USA.

I think the better answer is to have a mechanism for challenging your name being on the list, and allow a process for it to be removed if it is not meant to be there -- then you can buy a gun. Going without a gun for the duration of the process is not that much of a hardship.

Much better than the current solution - so those on the list by mistake can buy their gun immediately, allow everyone on the list to buy them, even though we know some are buying them for the exact reason this post was created.   Just too stupid for words!

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 7:53 PM

hakman123:

ct690911:

hakman123:

I think the better answer is to have a mechanism for challenging your name being on the list, and allow a process for it to be removed if it is not meant to be there -- then you can buy a gun. Going without a gun for the duration of the process is not that much of a hardship.

Much better than the current solution - so those on the list by mistake can buy their gun immediately, allow everyone on the list to buy them, even though we know some are buying them for the exact reason this post was created.   Just too stupid for words!

No argument from me. Assault weapons are for war..not meant for hunting or target practice. Very powerful weapons are available in a country where personal liberties and freedoms are paramount. Simply banning them seems to be impossible, or it would have been done already, no?. Many presidents have tried. And, there are already a million of them out there..how does the gov't deal with these?. Whatever is tried will be tied up in courts for decades.

Finally, those that wish to do harm on a massive scale will find ways. Assault weapons are one option but, as discussed in a previous post, there are many ways. 

It is a sad commentary about how dangerous the world has become. What happens if a terrorist group gets their hands on a nuclear weapon? They continually try to do so and the world is full of them...is it just a matter of time before they succeed?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 17 2016 9:04 PM

CT - I thought those arguments had all been done..........America has a unique problem in that it's crime is more lethal, and that's it.  Period, end of, fini.......Try to solve it or accept the president standing up with monotonous sad regularity forever...

ct690911:
    What happens if a terrorist group gets their hands on a nuclear weapon?

WTF LOL..........Well OK no LOL about it, but not a rabbit warren I am opening up put it that way.

EDIT: I saw a couple of poles using my one eyed approach:)...Ones I saw said the tide is turning in favour of tightening.  The tobacco giants slowly got kicked into line (developed world at least), and so never give up the good fight :)......Aussie approach as a starting point for debate would be my thinking as something for all as much as can be, and move from there as suits.....Americans can sort that out in their democracy.  I just want as few news reports like this happening as possible before some traction happens........Anyway, all said I think....Good luck to all.

I saw an article that might be interesting as it's written by an American who now lives in Australia.  The full article is not long and a useful POV, IMO, but I will copy paste the last bit anyway:

"And when I picked up my daughter and squeezed her and held her to me and kissed her baby-fat cheeks, I was grateful. I was grateful to live here in a country that does more than say gun violence should be stopped. It's done something about it. Thank you, Australia.

Aubrey Perry is a Melbourne-based writer and artist who is originally from the United States"

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/thank-you-australia-20160615-gpjn0r.html#ixzz4BvHClFO5 

Good luck to all and for one I wish those wanting some change the best of luck in getting it done.  

RSS