rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 24 2011 9:09 AM (115 replies)
  • CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 1:02 PM

Oh, and....

SGTBilko:
    1. The supreme court has settled this as law of the land

2. The supreme court also looked at the founding fathers intent and the right to firearms is cited not only in the federalist papers but in numerous writings by the founding fathers.

3. The milita at the time was the citizens since there were was no free standing military authorized at the time.

4. So you are saying that the National Guard in each state is thus illegal and the common citizen soldier covered under not only Title 32 of US Code but each state constitution is unconstitutional. They are in definition and still considered a state militia. What about  posse comitatus, state militia's are exempt from them thus as well as a standing reserve for the Armed Forces. The word National Guard is just a title and they are still controlled by the CIC of each state, the governor.

A good argument but the bottom line...the right to own a gun is inherent in the American way of life and I believe any attempt to remove them from the citizens would probably end in another revolution in this country. IMO

Gotta love how this guy bullies and guilts Richard into apologizing for getting political, only to get political himself.  In fact, not only does he get political, but he even proves Richard's theory about how right-leaning gun nuts will kill people if their guns are threatened.  (I'd actually side somewhat with the gun nuts on that one, but nonetheless, the irony of Bilko proving Richard's statement is funny.)

A little tip, Bilko: When you try to get someone to shut up with the "that's off-topic" argument, you ought to stay on-topic yourself at least in the thread where you've demanded people stay on-topic (, which you've defined as being saying prayers for the lady.)  Not very smooth, Bilko.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 1:05 PM

You Yanks are off your heads when it comes to guns. I have never in my life feared being shot, maybe because every person you meet in the street doesn't own a gun. Then again maybe we're the stupid ones.....

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 1:06 PM

tiffer67:
    You Yanks are off your heads when it comes to guns. I have never in my life feared being shot, maybe because every person you meet in the street doesn't own a gun. Then again maybe we're the stupid ones.....

Do you fear being stabbed to death by people in the street?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 1:20 PM

tiffer67:
    . I have never in my life feared being shot, maybe because every person you meet in the street doesn't own a gun.

I never used to either but with my shop in the 'hood (almost) and the status that comes from having a gat I have to at least think about it now. All the friggin punks that think it's cool to "pack heat" combined with their 50 Cent mentality keep the local newspaper in headlines.

The problem is you can't do a f'n thing about it.

• craigswan
    30,979 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 1:41 PM

The pro gun people all seem to think they are clint eastwood and are the fastest draw in the west but in every gunfight there are loser,s .

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 2:01 PM

craigswan:

The pro gun people all seem to think they are clint eastwood and are the fastest draw in the west but in every gunfight there are loser,s .

Only an idiot would think that getting into gun fights is cool, just like only an idiot would think that getting into fistfights is cool.

For any sane individual, guns are a last line of defense (or serve other various purposes, such as hunting.)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 2:24 PM

CharlemagneRH:
    For any sane individual

Key qualification. The problem is this is lost on survival of the best armed. The mentality is a lost cause.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 2:54 PM

craigswan:

Not true craigswan, and a very unfortunate misunderstanding of the pro gun side.

What we want, is to have our constitutional rights protected, so that we are no the only one in the gunfight without the chance to draw.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 4:40 PM

YankeeJim:

CharlemagneRH:
    For any sane individual

Key qualification. The problem is this is lost on survival of the best armed. The mentality is a lost cause.

Even if "survival of the best armed," as you have put it, in regards to protection against tyranny, had nothing to do with the issue, you still have to question the effectiveness of gun control.

How many people could the average UK police officer, if he/she went on a shooting spree, kill before being stopped?

There's tons of UK officers that carry MP5s or something similar... some sort of high-capacity semi/full-auto.  I'd guess that a UK officer could kill 100 people before another officer responded to the call and showed up to stop the officer on the shooting spree.

So what's stopping a whackjob from becoming an officer in the UK and doing this?  Basically nothing.  They'd just have to be able to pass some training courses and maybe a mental health exam or two, which is probably pretty easy... all you'd have to do is say that you are looking to preserve the rule of law, defend against terrorists, defend the royal family, etc... and you'd get a clean bill of mental health.  It probably wouldn't be very difficult for a complete nut to keep his cool and say the things that the mental health examiners want to hear.  This basically means that being able to go on a shooting rampage in the UK requires only that you (1) not have a violent crime on your record, and (2) be a good citizen for a few years, which are the exact same requirements as a background check in the States.  Despite all the hoopla about how effective UK gun control is, the only difference is that in the UK, you'd have a shiny badge to go along with your gun.

Simply put, unless every single person in the UK is disarmed, then the chance that a nutcase will be able to get their hands on a gun and go on a shooting spree is exactly the same.  There is no magic spell that a UK police department can cast on its officers to see if they're good or bad.  It's a background check and what basically amounts to a mental health exam, just like it is in the States.

The only real difference, then, is a cultural one.  In the UK, people have enough tact to not shoot a few hundred bullets into a crowd.  America, on the other hand, has quite a few people that have played too many video games and are itching to shoot a mall up.  That's what it boils down to.

The UK still manages to be a backwards sh*thole, however...

Video makes me laugh every time I watch it.

Moron cops love taking orders so much that they'll take orders from a disheveled, drunk, ranting lady to go harass normal citizens doing nothing wrong.  What idiots.  AND THIS IS WHO THEY TRUST WITH GUNS!!!  LOL!!

10 ORDER RECEIVED: HARASS CITIZEN
    20 USE VAGUE LAW TO HARASS CITIZEN
    30 LET DRUNK INSANE LADY WALK AWAY
    40 BEEP BEEP BOOP BOOP BEEP

What a well-adjusted gunowner she is... lmao.

LMAO... this stuff is better than Comedy Central.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Sun, Jan 9 2011 8:20 PM

Thank you all for your comments and opinions. A few more things about weapons

1 it is a tool

2 like any other tool it is dangerous 

3 put a dangerous tool in the hands of an idiot and you have trouble

i may or may not own a weapon, just if you mess with my family or myself and get past the chow.......... 

RSS