Forums

Help › Forums

Wind Irregularity

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 30 2010 1:55 PM (4 replies)
  • thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:15 AM

I'm short of the green and there's a 10mph facing head on. I'm using a 60 loft wedge and the pin's 50 yrds away on an uphill sloping green.

I hit the ball 54 yrds bang on the line straight for the pin with full backspin.

How can the ball travel 58 yards then carry on rolling up the hill?

This has happened to me on numerous occasions and it's starting to piss me off a little.

This has happened a lot..

I'm thinking the wind is fecked up and cannot be relied upon whatsoever.

Either get it fixed so people can rely upon it to make the best shot they can or take it off so that it stops forced errors beyond their control.

Unreliable wind readings....meter fecking up frequently and dodgey greens as well as some yardages that are clearly wrong on quite a few holes..

Yeah I still enjoy playing WGT but it'd be a lot better with reliabilty and stability...so that I may be allowed to make my own errors of judgement as opposed to the game doing it on my behalf and I don't really have a say in the matter.

tbe

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 10:28 AM

Damn we must be all alone. Everytime I make a post regarding this I get the

comments to suck it up or get off. I don't think WGT is going to do a thing. They

seem to be enjoying the complaining more than the compliments. I really had

enjoyed this game for quite awhile but it is getting quite annoying when you know

you made the shot and it goes straight to hell.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:04 AM

I enjoy the game a lot....but would just like the stats we rely on to make shots more consistent. Either a head on wind into an uphill sloping green will stop the ball quicker or it won't....but the wind on here seems to have a mind of it's own and frequently denies the law of physics....

i.e...if  a physical mass (the ball) travels at 60mph into a head on 10mph wind and the green is an uphill slope and you put full backspin on the ball, then it ain't gonna go the 50yrds you hit it due to the friction caused to the ball via head on wind, uphill slope and backspin applied....of course it's gonna lose it's original momentum and land around the 45 yrd mark and stop pretty much on a dime due to the uphill slope and backspin....if anything it should roll back not forward 5 yrds or so.

of course in real life balls can hit debris lying around on the greens and do strange things but these aren't too common in one round of golf.

tbe

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 11:57 AM

thebigeasy707:

I'm short of the green and there's a 10mph facing head on. I'm using a 60 loft wedge and the pin's 50 yrds away on an uphill sloping green.

I hit the ball 54 yrds bang on the line straight for the pin with full backspin.

How can the ball travel 58 yards then carry on rolling up the hill?

Looking at your clubs BE707, I have the same 60 degree wedge, a Ping Tour W Pro 60, rated for 75 yds.  To hit that club 54yds you would have choked down considerably (~18% the way I'd calculate it)

I always look at what I've done before I blame the game. 

There are a couple of things YOU might have done wrong.

I think perhaps hitting 54 is a bit much for what you describe.  I'd allow for more roll because its choked down you take some spin off. (even tho I use a ball with 2 dots of spin and you use a ball with one dot of spin I'd allow for more roll)   I would have calculated to hit it 51.

You could have pulled the power meter back too far, how do you figure how far to pull it back?.  (IF i used that club I would have hit it 80% power) But I wouldn't have used that wedge anyway, I carry a 64 degree.

You need to get a 64 degree wedge and hit a fuller shot.  JMO

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Dec 30 2010 1:55 PM

Choking down on a club exaggerates the deviation. Jakestanfill pointed that out a short while ago. Couple that with a high loft club and what you got isn't that odd. Punch from that distance and you will less affected by the wind and your spin will have more impact.

RSS