Forums

Help › Forums

Is it me or are tourney greens playing slower?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 28 2010 2:28 PM (2 replies)
  • mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 1:47 PM

I am writing this post after a frustrating round so I'll try my best not to rant... I don't know what's been going on over the past few weeks but a noticeable proportion of putts have been ending up slightly short. Best example is a slightly downhill (-0in), 11ft putt on BPB #10... To minimise the effect of the break I decide to be a bit aggressive and hit it it about 9ft To my surprise the ball ends up 2 inches short.

I'd love to hear other players opinion on this... are the greens playing slower? are these wild deviations?...

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 2:02 PM

Not all 11 ft 'flat' putts are created equal.  There is a huge amount of difference in a putt that is 10.6 ft and  .4" down,  than another putt that is 11.4 ft and .4" uphill.    Both will say 11 ft flat, but one will require 2 feet more power than the other.  Part of my pre-putt routine is to quickly drag the cursor around the cup to get a better feel for the exact power needed.  Also wind has an effect on putting, which can also require a slight adjustment on power even for an 11 footer.

Hope this helps.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 2:28 PM

BolloxInBruges:

Not all 11 ft 'flat' putts are created equal.  There is a huge amount of difference in a putt that is 10.6 ft and  .4" down,  than another putt that is 11.4 ft and .4" uphill.    Both will say 11 ft flat, but one will require 2 feet more power than the other.  Part of my pre-putt routine is to quickly drag the cursor around the cup to get a better feel for the exact power needed.  Also wind has an effect on putting, which can also require a slight adjustment on power even for an 11 footer.

Hope this helps.

Thx for the reply... I have to admit that I never pay attention to such details... I didn't think that wind or such minor elevations had an effect on short putts

It seems I'll have to be more observant...

RSS