Forums

Help › Forums

I get a new computer for Christmas and....

Thu, Dec 30 2010 6:17 AM (37 replies)
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:06 AM

andyson:
    I haven't been able to find an answer to how Windows allocates threads to the cores, if you find anything let me know please.

andy, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking here.

By threads, are you looking for the difference between hyperthreaded cpu's and multi-core cpu's? This dawned on me when I read the farmville portion of your post above. You alluded to how flash was handled in hyperthreaded cpu's, and my first question to myself was, does this apply only to HT cpu's, or does it apply to multicore cpu's as well? They are designed to accomplish the same thing, but are two different technologies. Many multi core cpu's also have HT enabled, as well, employing both technologies.  

The plot thickens......

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 10:40 AM

I'll reword it. 

I haven't been able to find an answer to how Windows allocates threads work to the cores, if you find anything let me know please.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 11:55 AM

Here is a bit of info andy, but beware - you are about to delve into a never ending dark tunnel, lol.

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-do-quad-core-processors-work.html

In essence, at default affinity and priority settings, the newest task is sent to the least utilized core (or cores). When we start changing affinity, we start restricting which cores are available for a particular process during this decision making process. When priority is changed, processes are no longer on a 'first come first serve' basis, the higher priority processes are given a just that, a higher priority. 

Obviously, the motherboard plays a HUGE part in this, and determines the overall efficiency of the multi core cpu. Unfortunately, the majority of people buying over the counter have very little, if any, information on the motherboard specs when purchasing.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 2:48 PM

That link wasn't what I was looking for. 

Your "in essence" next paragraph is what I have been assuming but haven't confirmed.

• runindeer
    13 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 3:38 PM

A good browser that seems smoother than the others (for me) is: IRON, try that. If you google chrome vs iron, you'll get a good idea of the new browser.

Once your match or game session window is loaded (just before you say hi & gl), CLOSE THE MAIN PAGE OF WGT, you don't need it to play in the flash window.

Also, sometimes using an older version of flash might help, worth a try anyway. GL.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 6:00 PM

runindeer:
    Also, sometimes using an older version of flash might help, worth a try anyway

Iron already uses the older version. It doesn't update automatically like Chrome.  :-)

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 6:16 PM

This is no more than a thread andy, but it gets a little closer to what you are asking, I think.

http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-241593.html

Open up the task manager and view the 'Performance' tab. It shows real time utilization for each core, you can change your settings and see real time how they are applied to the cpu.If you are lucky enough to have Windows7, check out the 'Resource Monitor' under that performance tab, all the data you'll ever need to decide.

'get your test on'

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 7:01 PM

Hi Gobo,

Just a quick one here.

I NEVER use Firefox - Google Chrome is by far the best .

Give it a try.

Cheers

Doug

• Stebo
    193 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2010 7:58 PM

I bought the Inspiron 2305 with windows 7 and have the same meter delay.  i click as usual and miss to the right a half inch!  mine came with wireless mouse...could that be my delay?  does wireless react differently?  Do they make a gaming mouse?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 4:32 AM

Stebo:
    mine came with wireless mouse...could that be my delay?  does wireless react differently?  Do they make a gaming mouse?

Yes, yes and yes. You don't need a gaming mouse, though. The basic $20 version works fine. 

RSS