Forums

Help › Forums

DEM DAM DOTS DON'T DING

Tue, Apr 11 2017 8:36 PM (67 replies)
  • lonniescott711
    4,130 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 12:31 PM

Ok but now the question is according to what green speeds? Because the faster the greens the less power you need when putting . But when playing breaks you have to add power so the ball doesnt die on the break . So in most cases depending on the break the more the break add 1ft.more as you play the break . This is a must for miss ding putting for the most part not because the game is punishing you for missing the ding but because the break slows the putt down .

Just like when driving a car you decelerate when going into a curve your ball does the same when putting . Also check the line of your putt the default line seems for the most part to always be inside the cup .  I usually am putting outside the cup moving the line slightly outside the cup and then missing the ding according to the break is usually a spot on putt. If you have the power right you can miss wide but still make the putt .

When putting on slope putts  you may have to move the marker out wider and miss ding wider also . But its mainly allowing the ball to feed into the hole letting the break in the green do the work for you .

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 4:42 PM

lonniescott711:
    Ok but now the question is according to what green speeds? Because the faster the greens the less power you need when putting . But when playing breaks you have to add power so the ball doesnt die on the break . So in most cases depending on the break the more the break add 1ft.more as you play the break . This is a must for miss ding putting for the most part not because the game is punishing you for missing the ding but because the break slows the putt down

Right . So what i do . 

for Tourney greens 

I divide the distance by 1.35 

then adjust for the up or down and for the size of the break .

for Champ greens 

I divide the distance by 1.4

then adjust . 

It gets me very close . My putts are usually no more than 1 , 2 or 3 ft . past the hole . I get more lipouts than i have hairs on my head . 

But very few drop . 

• lonniescott711
    4,130 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 5:56 PM

If you are lipping out and missing by 1-3 ft. then you are hitting too hard . The faster the green the softer the putt . Read your putts according to what the marker shows you . The division is throwing you off use simple math  add if its uphill subtract if its down hill . Keep it simple . On tourney greens 15ft.scale1 avatar movement=8ft . This is where using the avatar movements comes in handy because you can get a more precise gauge on how much power to hit your putts .

If putting uphill or on the side of a slope then you will need to add a little more power when putting . But for the most part play your putts just like a regular shot . Use the same distance calculations as a regular shot . My application to the game doesnt change when Im playing .The only difference in my shot making is based only on the club that Im using . I play my putts the same way I would play a shot in a cross wind . I read the break like a cross wind and just learn to make the adjustments playing off the ding .

L-R maybe move the marker a little left and ding early . R-L same thing move the marker a little right according to the break and ding a little late . This is how I putt all day and every day and for me it works . The avatar movements with the putter pal helps you to learn your power distance . So give it a try and see if it helps its the simple approach .

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 7:14 PM

lonniescott711:
    If you are lipping out and missing by 1-3 ft. then you are hitting too hard . The faster the green the softer the putt . Read your putts according to what the marker shows you . The division is throwing you off use simple math  add if its uphill subtract if its down hill . Keep it simple

No I think my calcs are accurateWhen I said " past the hole ". It was so you knew I was hitting it hard enough . Any softer and I would be short . The lip outs would go in if I hit it more in the center of the hole . 

lonniescott711:
    The division is throwing you off use simple math  add if its uphill subtract if its down hill . Keep it simple

Divide to get the distance

pdb1:
      then adjust , for the up or down , and for the size of the break .

• lonniescott711
    4,130 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 7:43 PM

What are you dividing and why ? There is no need for dividing anything . The marker gives you your distance nothing else is needed . You add if the putt is uphill and you subtract if its downhill but there is nothing to divide . Thats whats throwing you off ,play the putt like a regular shot going by the distance given . Thats all you have to do . You are making it harder than it needs to be . 

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 8:56 PM

lonniescott711:
    The marker gives you your distance nothing else is needed

For tournament greens . The marker says it's a12' putt . No up no down . I hit the ball 8.8' . It goes in the hole . I hit the ball 12' it will go at least 16' . 

12' / 1.35 = 8.8

champ greens 

12' / 1.4 = 8.57

Let me clarify . I do not have much problem with distance . My distance puts me right there every time .

What I have is an aiming disability . I am aimingly challenged .I am either left or right . 

Sometimes because i have no idea how much to either move the marker and or miss the ding . Or because I click either late or early . Something I obviously have no control over . Or I would not do it .

The same putt that I miss left would miss if I either hit it harder or softer . That is how much my aim is off . 

I am one that is not one with the break and all the harmonious wonderful enlightenment that many share with the green that is speaking to them . 

I don't got it like that . No fcking clue . I go by what works . And what works on a 9' putt with moderate dots left to right . One time will not work the next time I hit that putt the same way I hit it the last time . So that doesn't work . So knowing that . I look at the 9' putt as though I haven't seen it before . Judge it a little differently . And oops judged it the wrong direction . 

• PhilA2
    441 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 2:09 AM

Golf   The only game the more you play the worse you can get!!!

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 4:30 AM

PhilA2:

Golf   The only game the more you play the worse you can get!!!

That seems so to be the case . When I came up . It took a couple years of hard playing . Including my 500 RR's to saturate as a Legend . 

I thought even then that I had it down and my next road to TL wasn't going to be too hard . And it probably wouldn't have been . I was on a good steady streak . 

Had I not started a CC . And dove fully in head first . And actually forgot to play . For the most part . And then about a year into that . I realized . Or it felt like I that I had forgot how to play . I had lost my edge . Especially any putting skills I may have had or thought I had . 

So for the next year and a half . I played only moderately . And my average did not budge . It stayed at 62.45 the whole time . I played a - 6 round in Dec . 2016 . And didn't even notice it had dropped .01 until a long time CC member messaged me " CONGRATS your average dropped . " . So I have been trying  little harder since then . Dropped a little more . But am completely baffled about the putting . And honestly without that horrendous putting . Would be a TL by now . 

But I have to do what i have to do first and foremost for my CC . While I am still running it . Realistically  there isn't enough time for me to play any serious golf . After I finish the days CC business and maybe play a multi player round or 2 or 3 . A format that i love and can't do with out . And am certainly not serious in those ." All good all fun all the time " . My coined phrase . That is if the multi player format doesn't fade into oblivion . As it's interest is slowly ( or quickly fading ) Site wide . With the exception of course of  a very few tight knit long time hard core groups . I would be surprised if they hadn't notice it as well . We better be careful and consider doing something extreme and drastic soon . If we don't want to lose that big part of the wheels that make this site fun . 

Pretty clear to me if i want to hit TL as a goal . I will have to play a good segment of serious golf . Nose to the grindstone . I also have to be willing to commit to the monetary commitment for the balls it will take to get there . And a couple clubs .  I also will have to walk away from the CC .Or at least step way back enough to not let it distract me . 

But right now I'm not willing to agree to the paragraph above . I may never be . 

All of this is not a negative biotch pitch . But a realistic overview of some reality that myself . And the state of WGT . From a few important areas of concern for me . And some other WGTers are facing . 

There are many other areas that could be considered to be doing well and right on track . 

There are also some other areas that are in sad shape . That I haven't addressed . 

That others are aware of . And are likely concerned as well . 

I do feel that with out a more proactive push from a huge amount of this WGT community . That a catastrophic negative decline could be inevitble . And also avoidable . if we get off our asses . Step up and not let things get worse . Work hard until the necessary efforts are made to effect positive change . 

This is not doom and gloom . But at this rate it could be . And doesn't have to be . 

Now do you want to know what I really think ? Lol . 

• hpurey
    11,381 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 7:38 AM

What helps me is a good pre-shot ....pre-putt routine in this case.  

man beer drinking happy hour national beer day GIF

I still miss most putts, but after the 2nd hole, I don't really care much anymore.  ;-)

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Fri, Mar 31 2017 8:47 AM

hpurey:
    What helps me is a good pre-shot ....pre-putt routine in this case.  

I got a headache just watching that guy . Lol .

hpurey:
    I still miss most putts, but after the 2nd hole, I don't really care much anymore.

RSS