Forums

Help › Forums

DEM DAM DOTS DON'T DING

Tue, Apr 11 2017 8:36 PM (67 replies)
  • pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Wed, Mar 29 2017 12:43 PM

why9:
    short answer is it doesn't fkn matter  .... may as well be asking how hard to pull the handle on a slot machine

Good idea . 

Hey how hard do I pull the handle on a slot machine ? 

• drmoose
    3,484 Posts
    Wed, Mar 29 2017 3:07 PM

Distance to jackpot , plus or minus number of free drinks, plus 1.5 ft pounds of torque, x .7 ( 'cause it's a lucky number ) an' you should be good to go.

Note: your results may vary, this is after all, WGT.

Doc :)

• lonniescott711
    4,130 Posts
    Wed, Mar 29 2017 3:07 PM

First off dinging the shot doesnt mean its going in the hole . Putting is the hardest part of the game and harder to instruct than hitting any other club . Me I putt by feel and also Im a miss ding putter when needed . For me moving the flag is only needed on hard breaks depending on the break I find that using the line of the putt as a gauge instead of the flag works best for me . 

L-R putts I move the line outside left of the pin and then putt missing the ding by hitting early. Its more of a visual process than by numbers or squares all trial and error . This is why no one is willing to try and explain it to you because its hard to put into words . Its something that you are going to have to figure out by playing practice rounds . Putting is all trial and error and you have to just find what works for you .

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 5:06 AM

lonniescott711:
    L-R putts I move the line outside left of the pin and then putt missing the ding by hitting early. Its more of a visual process than by numbers or squares all trial and error . This is why no one is willing to try and explain it to you because its hard to put into words . Its something that you are going to have to figure out by playing practice rounds . Putting is all trial and error and you have to just find what works for you

You are so right . And I'm really not asking anymore . . I have seen all the videos and read all the formulas and heard many explanations . Have tried everything I can combine and make sense of . 

Am mostly an off ding putter with no clue or consistency . If I haven't snapped to it by now . I'm not ever going to . If I ever judge a putt correctly I will click late or early and miss anyway . Played 5 years of TW . Before this 5 years of WGT. Very familiar with what needs to be done . Just not happening for me . Don't think it ever will . 

Ive been playing for fun since I started my CC exactly 3 years ago . 

Now that there seems to be a growing lack of interest in multi player all throughout WGT . Zero interest in it in my CC . 

The fun is fading . Looks like the options are  narrowing as well . All good for now . 

IDK how much longer though . 

• lonniescott711
    4,130 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 8:44 AM

Well lets not throw in the towel just yet there`s still a lot of golf to still be played . I was looking at your stats and also your gear and for the most part the world wont come to an end because of either . ) But then I got to thinking the problem may be as simple as your putter . You use the Nike putter and if my memory serves right the nike putter is more of a ding putter and not an off ding putter .

So the problem is you are using the wrong putting style with your putter . Since they are gone now I cant see the specs of the putter to be sure . But Im pretty sure that the nike putter is not a miss ding putter . Check it against the Versa putters and compare the specs.If the nike has more precision than forgiveness then that would be the problem .

The forgiveness allows you to miss the ding to a certain point before changing the outcome of the shot . As a miss ding player I always get the clubs with the most forgiveness for just that reason . Clubs with high precision you have to be more on the ding and when you miss you pay for it because of the low level of forgiveness .

So you may just be using the wrong putting style and nothing more . The solution is one of 2 options .

Option 1 Change your putting style and become a ding putter .

Option 2 Upgrade your putter to a putter that is made for your style of putting .

Me personally I`ve had the top 3 Versa putters and all are great for miss ding putting . I love mine to death and it was well worth the cost when I bought it . Most will tell you that the Versa putters are the best in the pro shop hands down .

So there you go hopefully a solution to your problem and I hope that Im right . So off you go to check my theory and hope it helps you with your game . :-)

• Saurabh08
    184 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 9:32 AM

Hey pdb,

If you are really serious about knowing, show me what you are doing (skype / twitch / the likes). I'll try to help.

Cheers!!

Saurabh

btw: All putters are ding putters and non-ding putters. To ding or not to ding depends on how much the putt is breaking. In short, more the break - not dinging it gives you a better chance to drop the putt and straighter the putt - more the requirement of the ding. 

IMO, you own the best putter available.  :)

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 10:32 AM

lonniescott711:
    Me personally I`ve had the top 3 Versa putters and all are great for miss ding putting . I love mine to death and it was well worth the cost when I bought it . Most will tell you that the Versa putters are the best in the pro shop hands down .

You nailed it . so here is a little history ( below ). Right now I can't afford the sabertooth . 

pdb1:

Jimbog1964:
    The key is deciding which you like, and sticking with it.............Nikes were / are OK but you need to PRACTICE the scale you are using, and play that scale that way ONLY......Don't overthink it.

Yes . i understand . That is what this is all about . I spent the last 4 years with the first L70 versa , then the L96 . Tried the 80 something , what were they thinking with that one  ? Lol .  I felt like I was missing something always . So I got the L89 Nike with the 10 , 20 , 50 . 

pdb1:

pdb1 wrote the following post at Sat, Oct 15 2016 10:51 AM:

I just changed putters from the

Odyssey Versa #1 Black Putter (L96+) 4.5 meter speed

to the

NIKE Method 001 Putter (L94+) 5.0 meter speed 

I am having trouble with the 10 , 20 , 50 meters . The increments for each meter don't seem to be accurate . And the ball speed seems to be much slower . I know the meter speed is .5 slower . But I didn't think that effects ball speed .
      I now find out that the L 101 Nike has the 15 , 30 , 60 meters . That won't help me now  . By the time I get to L 101 . I'll probably figure this one out . 

I still think I, like the 10 , 20 , 50 meters . That you can see i have had only since mid October . 
      Now I have to decide if I want to go back to versa and get the sabertooth .

• lonniescott711
    4,130 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 11:29 AM

Yeah one of the set backs with the nike putters was that you had to hit the ball harder as they always seemed to come up short . But learning the increments is also key to good putting . Another trick that I learned to help me adjust how much power to use was the avatar movements . As you add power to the putt the avatar moves and you can learn how to use those movements as a gauge when putting . Each movement will go so many feet depending on the green speed . But its very accurate especially when using it with the putter pal .

Try using it on Bethpage with some practice putting and see if that helps . I have always found the 15,30,60 increments easier for me to use and in all honesty I seldom use anything over the 30 increment when putting .You should have stayed with the L96+ Versa its one thing to upgrade and using the same increments but when you change that and have to relearn the increments it makes it harder .

The 2 times I tried the nike putter both were no go`s which is why Im such a Versa fan . The only reason I got the sabertooth was because I had the credits to spare . The L96+ is more than enough but the sabertooth is simply the cherry on the top .

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 11:45 AM

yes as you can see I have been doing the best most accurate deciphering of the meter increments that i can . 

DAputts:
    Happened twice at almost same distance.  Can't figure it out.

DAputts:
    There are 5 movements and I have mapped these out on the practice green, first movement is 8 to 8 1/2 at 20% of putter pal.  The problem is that some of my shorter putts are stopping short.

You answered it already . The 30 ft meter has 5 increments . Correct . They are exactly 6 ft increments . 

That is how one finds the increment distance on any meter . Divide the number of increments by the length of that meter . 

pdb1:

Ping Redwood Z6

15' meter = 3 increments = 6 ' per increment

30' meter = 5 increments = 6 ' per increment 

45' meter = 5 increments = 9' per increment

90' meter = 7 increments = 12.9 ' per increment

150 meter = 9 increments = 16.66 ft per increment

300 meter = 9 increments = 33.33 ' per increment 

Odyssey Versa's 

15' meter = 3 increments = 5 ' per increment

30' meter = 5 increments = 6 ' per increment 

60 meter = 5 increments = 12' per increment 

100 meter 7  imcrements = 14. 29 ft per increment

Nike METHOD 001 

10 meter 2. something ? = 4' ? increments doesn't  click at the top of the 10 

20 meter 2 . something ? incrents doesn't click at the top of the 20 meter 

50 meter 5 increments = 10 ft per increment

100 meter 7 + imcrements = 14. 29 ft per increment

odyssey sabertooth M2

10 meter 2. 7 increments ? = 4' ? doesn't  click at the top of the 10 

20 meter 2.7 incremets ? doesn't click at the top of the 20 meter 

50 meter  5 increments = 10 ft per increment

100 meter = 7  imcrements = 14. 29 ft per increment 

pdb1:

10 meter 2. 7 increments ? = 4' ? doesn't  click at the top of the 10 

20 meter 2.7 incremets ? doesn't click at the top of the 20 meter 

This 10 , 20 , 50 , meter is new to me . I am not positive about the meter increments on these meters . Has anyone got that info ? 

DAputts:

pdb1:
    They are exactly 6 ft increments . 

Not what I found when I was on the practice green mapping my Sabretooth. At the easy green, champ speed and the first movement (20% on pp) the ball rolls 8.4 feet.  Second movement (40 % on pp) 19 feet and so on.  I hit 12 putts at each increment, only counted dings, and then averaged them to get my numbers. 

Thanks for the response but I like to actually hit the ball at the different increments to see just how far they roll.  I use to use St Andy's #1 easy flag and from the left of the green you have a nice level area...

Dave

pdb1:

Not for me . The 30 ' meters have always been consistent for me in that calc . 

Plus you asked why if you thought it was to go 8.4' . Why was it coming up short ? That is a good explanation why

DAputts:

Went to the practice green and tried Standard speed greens...Yes they all came out to 6' increments.  My question was if I hit 20% on Putterpal and it goes 8.4 feet, why would it stop short on a 4.4 1 up putt...when I hit the 20% power mark.  Maybe I'm just not seeing it Paul.  If we have the same putter what is different.... Thanks for trying...

edit : I miss read one of your posts...Thought you had the Sabretooth already....

• pdb1
    22,500 Posts
    Thu, Mar 30 2017 11:51 AM

That is where I am at currently 

RSS