Forums

Help › Forums

*** Icon and Shoe uneven lie invitational ***

Sun, Aug 10 2014 12:25 PM (132 replies)
  • BigKnight
    2,777 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 3:16 AM

certainly enjoying the brutality of this challenge LOL....had 4 putts from 9 (or so) feet hit the lip hard and spin out (4 bogeys), and of course...no good winds on 4, 5 or 10...still a 66 though :)

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 6:03 PM

3rd round will likely be hardest.

good luck ;)

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 6:43 PM

Icon - You may as well give a few of us our 180s for the round now (10 stroke max X 18 holes) and just move on to the 4th round.  That first round green speed was bad enough. ;)

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 7:54 PM

Well geez...

I never got comfortable with the greens in round one, so I was pretty darn happy about arriving at what seemed to be the magic formula off of a short miss on the 2nd in round 2.  I was getting the approaches close and dropping everything.  Even a tree and lipout on 7 didn't get me down.  I thought I might bury the field (for one round, anyways) after a near hole-out on 10.

Nope.  12.  13.  14, followed by ordinary lousy play the rest of the way in.  And there I was...alone for all eternity at the center of a dead planet....buried alive.

ICOOOOOONNNN!!!

• Adalanar
    282 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 10:36 PM

I am kind of afraid of round 3 - i am sure that there will quite a few holes where there is no stopping the ball anywhere near the hole - round one settings were actually great as I think they were fair.

Icon - where again can I find the voodoo doll? - just in case.

Why not start RGs with settings like that - I would asume that everybody who enjoys UE would also enjoy the tough settings on the green as long as it is not totally ridiculous.

Cheers

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 2:23 AM

Don't know about you guys, I find much more easy to estimate the putts length on super fast greens than in those ridiculous slow greens.....where is the fun in those slow greens?

Longing for the 3 Th rounds even tho I know already in some holes there will be used all shots without having the ball in the hole....due to the 50 speed!!!.....LOL.

I certainly won't waste time & balls in the last round.

Eric

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 2:37 AM

Adalanar:

I am kind of afraid of round 3 - i am sure that there will quite a few holes where there is no stopping the ball anywhere near the hole - round one settings were actually great as I think they were fair.

Icon - where again can I find the voodoo doll? - just in case.

Why not start RGs with settings like that - I would asume that everybody who enjoys UE would also enjoy the tough settings on the green as long as it is not totally ridiculous.

Cheers

Anytime we put those things in proshop, they get sold out in seconds. Must be those auto notify emails when product is back in stock!!!

-wgticom

• Robbo81303
    414 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 2:57 AM

I'm sure my 2nd round must have been an aberation, but if anyone doubts the existence of WGT 'gremlins', I submit this round as evidence to the contrary.  Maybe I'm missing something, but how does a downhill putt require more power - sometimes as much as 50% more - than an equidistant uphill putt?  Ya got me.  But thats how my round played.  The further downhill the putt, the more power that was required to get it there.  Nothing like throwing  the laws of physics completely out the window.  Unreal.  But it wasn't just the putting.  I had a 115 yd pitching wedge shot from the fairway into an 8:30 13-15 mph wind from an uphill lie that would have ordinarily cut the distance to 90 yds or less.  Instead, it sailed 140 yds for some inexplicable reason.  Unbelievable!  Needless to say, the term 'fun' never crossed my mind once this round.  I was extremely proud to scratch & claw a 77 out of this nonsense.  Again, I'm really hoping this was some sort of glitch that never rears its ugly head again, and that the gameplay in rounds 3 & 4 will be a bit more predictable.  Thank you.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 8:28 AM

bhoese:
    I thought I might bury the field (for one round, anyways)

I can totally relate B. 

I fired off a rock-solid 28 on the front...including a lipout on #5 for eagle...then followed that up with 2 missed greens and another 4 lipouts for a 32 on the back.

I suppose one should be ecstatic when they beat Fridge and Jon by 3 or 4 strokes in a particular round...but I definitely had visions of sugar-plums and a 58 or better at the turn...so I feel like this round slipped away a little bit on me.

Any word on if Icon's stocking the pro shop with 1000cr stickum balls for the 3rd round?  I'm really not looking forward to the 50 green speed, but I'll take consolation in the fact that everyone else will be struggling with it as well.

Now is there any chance of getting something like this into the regular weekly or monthly rotation?  Pretty please?  ;-)

• BigKnight
    2,777 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 10:20 AM

Jerm65:

Now is there any chance of getting something like this into the regular weekly or monthly rotation?  Pretty please?  ;-)

+1 Jerm...and GREAT round...even with the miscues ;)

RSS