Forums

Help › Forums

Scott's tips

Fri, Apr 12 2024 12:26 PM (748 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2022 1:04 PM

KenBTEXAS:
    PS. I use open office and I actually think it is better.  A wee different but better.

Thanks Ken, I'll have a look at that.  ; )

• Ladychipper
    22,692 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2022 1:42 PM

I like Open Office too and it is free!

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Thu, May 5 2022 1:46 PM

I don't doubt that it's a competent application Marion, but change gets harder with age.  : (

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Sun, May 8 2022 7:53 AM

KenBTEXAS:

PS. I use open office and I actually think it is better.

A wee different but better.

I lied ;-(

Forgot I switched to libre office when apache took over open office.. same thing but again a wee different...

Main difference is licensing.

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sun, May 8 2022 8:03 AM

Okay Ken, thanks.

• MarchieB
    1,525 Posts
    Sun, May 8 2022 8:16 AM

Scott, my guess is the guy selling on Amazon is selling access to an ONLINE version of Office that requires you to use it online (cloud computing) that might be free to download anyway.

Microsoft has Office 360 online for free here https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/microsoft-365/free-office-online-for-the-web

I personally use Open Office that you can download for free (don't need the disk from Amazon). I'm sure that the Libre Office that Ken mentioned is probably very similar and just as good.

Ken is there an issue as to why you switched from Open O. to Libre O. You said something about Apache taking over. Is that an issue/problem?

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sun, May 8 2022 8:32 AM

I hope that isn't true Marchie, I've ordered it!!

• KenBTEXAS
    284 Posts
    Sun, May 8 2022 8:42 AM

MarchieB:

Ken is there an issue as to why you switched from Open O. to Libre O. You said something about Apache taking over. Is that an issue/problem?

no, no real problem, they are the same basic program.

can I post links here ??

This explains it :p

https://www.howtogeek.com/187663/openoffice-vs.-libreoffice-whats-the-difference-and-which-should-you-use/

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Mon, May 9 2022 7:03 AM

KenBTEXAS:

Forgot I switched to libre office when apache took over open office.. same thing but again a wee different...

Main difference is licensing.

Didnt realize they were the same thing but I use Libre office on Linux and like it- it is hard to get used to the switch from MS products though.

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Thu, May 12 2022 1:03 AM
    Well, this is what I got from Amazon for my £22.50 (right).
    A letter with a licence key and some instructions on what to do with it. I logged in to my Microsoft account and typed the licence key into microsoft.com/redeem and then went to microsoft.com/services, again inside my MS account, and on that page, under 'products you've purchased', was a download link for Office Professional Plus 2021.
    Once downloaded and installed, everything seems to be working fine. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Publisher, Access and Teams. Eight applications in all, suite (sic). This is NOT ms office on the web like some Amazon reviews have stated, I can only assume they have not followed the installation directions correctly. These are installed on my machine and I can use them without an internet connection. The only remaining question is how long will they continue to work, a week, a month, a year, forever? Who knows, only time will tell.
    If you purchase this product
    you do so entirely at your own risk

EDIT : 19-10-2022 : MS Office 2021 still working fine.

EDIT 2 : 12-06-2023 : MS Office 2021 still working fine.

RSS