Forums

Help › Forums

pinehurst 4th hole

Mon, Jul 7 2014 1:18 AM (67 replies)
  • MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 12:29 AM

this is a good read , it lists the different yardages of each hole, only lists one length 529yd for the 4th, it says in the article the tee is being moved up 40 yards since the last us open,  it was published last week, im looking forward to watching the 3rd hole, it will play 329yd on one of the 4 days, bubba and rory have to give it a go with the driver

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 1:54 AM

i realize now that wgt forgot to restore this hole to the original angle that donald ross intended, if you watch the video flyover of hole 4 from the us open website you will see the correct tee we should be playing from and the correct angle this hole now plays as a par 4.

you can see from the correct tee in the video on us open.com  the path and the brown hut are on the right but the tee shot on wgt you can see the path and the hut on the left.

im only trying to help wgt

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 3:24 AM

My conclusion is that they may have taken the Par5 length of the last USO and mixed it with this year's setting as a Par4. Dunno how they would mix up the teeing areas(?) As a wild guess: ?trouble with photoshooting management?

Having Icon write in this thread is a hope-raiser. Nevertheless, I doubt that there will be any change in this game, neither in distance nor in tee set-up. At least I won't waste any hope in any fault fixing - it happens. Or not.

BTW: When I reported the obvious flaw in OLY#2's scorecard length a while ago, there was not even a reaction by the company  :(

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 3:52 AM

alosso:

My conclusion is that they may have taken the Par5 length of the last USO and mixed it with this year's setting as a Par4. Dunno how they would mix up the teeing areas(?) As a wild guess: ?trouble with photoshooting management?

Having Icon write in this thread is a hope-raiser. Nevertheless, I doubt that there will be any change in this game, neither in distance nor in tee set-up. At least I won't waste any hope in any fault fixing - it happens. Or not.

BTW: When I reported the obvious flaw in OLY#2's scorecard length a while ago, there was not even a reaction by the company  :(

40 yards is huge error, im surprised the testing team didnt think about this hole, they probably didnt shot the photos from the correct tee, mistakes happen, i just wanted to help wgt with the error, i thought if they know about it soon maybe they can fix it before the VUSO for all the top players that qualified

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 4:31 AM

Two thirds of the way through the qualifier, they're not going to change the distance, the tee box , or its designation as a par 4 ... 

I don't think they made a mistake with it either. As in 2009, they took an easy par 5 and made it a really tough par 4, that's all ...

We're fortunate that they didn't do the same thing in 2011 with Congressional #6 ...

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 4:42 AM

The timing would be critical, that's true.

I agree, the Par should be correct for the USO. Alas, from what I read here, WGT's length is reasonably longer than the prospective Par 4 length (530 yds?).

OTOH, apart from "historic correctness", the length is equal for ev1 here - fair play!

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 8:56 AM

WGTicon:

why should we ban you? you didn't expose anything... if it's a mistake then thanks for pointing out:).

Phew, though I was in trouble lol...& thx for posting your comment about the issue. 

MartyFlanagan:

im only trying to help wgt

yup m8

What annoys me is that we are playing a HUGE long (unreal long) par 4 when the next par 5 is only 22 yards long!!...what?

I think WGT made a mistake when creating the hole and now it is simply too late to fix it, programming and other stuff would be terribly costly for WGT.

Please, lets try to keep the distances as real as possible....for the next Opens.

Must say, the course is extremely easy but the greens. Egg shaped greens & hole 4 make the trick not to see scores under 50!, good idea after all WGT.

Eric

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 3:35 PM

Like for most multi-day golf tournaments each hole has a different distance each day of the real US Open, with different tee boxes and different hole locations on each hole.

The scorecard does not list the exact yardage for each days play.

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 5:17 PM

ApexPC:

Like for most multi-day golf tournaments each hole has a different distance each day of the real US Open, with different tee boxes and different hole locations on each hole.

its ok, i know all about scorecards etc already, this article is a good read, its lists some of the holes having different lengths and talks about the 4th being 40 yards shorter

all the articles on the interent talk about the hole being 40 yards shorter and it being restored to the the original par 4 and the original angle

• cdefghi
    2,872 Posts
    Mon, Jun 9 2014 5:48 PM

MartyFlanagan:

ApexPC:

its ok, i know all about scorecards etc already, this article is a good read, its lists some of the holes having different lengths and talks about the 4th being 40 yards shorter

all the articles on the interent talk about the hole being 40 yards shorter and it being restored to the the original par 4 and the original angle

Tonight's Golf Channel telecast at 7:00 est had Bill Cromme and Ben Crenshaw- the design partnership that oversaw the "reconfiguration" of this beautiful old D. Ross course.  Anyone who's interested in learning a little about the original design and what Mr. Ross was trying to do, would do themselves a favor and see if that episode is available for viewing. Interesting points were made about #4 and also about a lot of the holes, and why they were each treated the way they were to get this beautiful final result.  Must see if this kind of history interests you, and will only make the actual viewing of the real tournament more interesting to watch. The U S Open's second only to the Masters, IMHO but might be first if it were played earlier in the season as the Masters is.

RSS