Forums

Help › Forums

pinehurst 4th hole

Mon, Jul 7 2014 1:18 AM (67 replies)
  • alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 5:03 AM

Me thinks that it's easy to make such a small correction because it doesn't affect game play. AFAIS, from OLY on, the usage of WGT scorecard length has changed to regular golf habits: From a given landmark on the tee ("start of hole") to the center of the green. These are independent from daily changing tee markers and pin positions.

If they now have moved said virtual landmark by three yards forward, the scorecard will show less but play from a given tee position to a given pin is still the same.

Today, the tournament host shows the hole as 529 yds.

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 7:44 AM

Sorry, I'm wrong.  USGA is using only the 529 tee for  thee Open.  

And today (Thursday) it's only playing 480ish

• eggiesworld
    296 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 8:45 AM

Today its playing 497 so almost 70 yards difference lol.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 9:44 AM

WGTicon:

in this case though, I believe it's specifically how we have it setup. Same was for bp and other us open courses, where some normal par 5's become par 4's...

I believe this is right this time, but, I will check. also, us open may use all 4 pins, in real play, we can't... so we likely have longest pins shot to keep it harder...

Icon, clearly for purposes of WGT you generally need to use the longest tees for Legends, and on down to the different tiers.

Players should also bear in mind that during the US Open they often change the tees from one round to the next for strategic reasons - not just the pins. For example, at Olympic 16 I think they moved the tees up one day to get players to consider tackling it aggressively as a reachable par 5 instead of a safe 3-shotter.

Bethpage 15 was played from shorter tees at the Open because it was so wet the hole effectively played longer because players couldn't get any rollout on their tee shots.

Similarly, last year the short par 3 13th at Merion was played further up than we play it - to just over 100 yards as I recall, putting more pressure on players to birdie the hole to keep up with the field.

Etc.

Lesson - maybe WGT could set up specific tournaments similarly, not necessarily always using the same matching set of tees on every hole (always the back tees, always the middle tees etc).

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 9:08 AM

(Thursday)

eggiesworld:

Friday, 2nd round: 523 yds.

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 10:04 AM

alosso:

(Thursday)

eggiesworld:

Friday, 2nd round: 523 yds.

Saturday, Moving Day: 542 yds.

We're getting closer ;)

7 pm here - It might become a long night of Kaymer-watching!

Soccer, who cares?

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 1:51 PM

The next hole, #5, is a wee Par5 of 530 yds today, 12 yds shorter.

Beautiful Eagle, Martin, to recover to -10!

• MartyFlanagan
    2,488 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 8:35 PM

a great variety of hole lengths, it would be great if wgt could change the length of the holes like the usga do, it would be like having a new course, the 245 par 3 would be a tough hole on wgt

• ECBonus
    743 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 8:54 PM

If it was nothing but for tourneys the random movement of tees would greatly enhance game experience, other than par 3s there are few holes its better to hit a long iron than a driver for Legends and T Legends its nothing but a driver /long iron/putter game. Come on WGT make us think.

• LongJohnBalldry
    6 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 9:58 PM

Pinehurst would be the worst course I have ever played on and I live in the country and have traveled this country maybe Mary Kathleen (now a Ghost town) would have been as bad as it was built in the desert south east of Mount ISA QLD.

RSS