Forums

Help › Forums

Question for Computer Experts

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 24 2010 11:33 AM (22 replies)
  • overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 2:29 AM

What 2 processes did you eliminate may I ask, tourch?

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 5:44 AM

overtheedge:

He disables two types of software (not really two specific programs)... anti-virus software and auto-updaters.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 8:22 AM

overtheedge:

There's a deeper explanation of the msconfig file handling, with pictures,  here (scroll down.)

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 1:35 PM

TY gentlemen. vg - Outside of the 2 "types" are there any specific programs that are an obvious waste to keep "Enabled"?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 2:42 PM

It's different with each computer, OTE. It pretty much depends on the stuff that came pre-installed by the manufacturer. Generally, looking at each line will tell you if it's a system file (don't mess with those) or one that came as a pre-installed program like AOL or Adobe, programs you can open when you want or need them.

• torch2k
    18 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:08 PM

CharlemagneRH:

Start Menu -> Run

Type in "msconfig" and hit enter.

In there, there is a "start up" tab that allows you to make most of those apps never start at all, so you'll never have to close them through task manager again.

Thanks, but yes, I know.  Just one of those things I didn't worry about (much) until I started fretting over a jittery meter.

Another positive aspect of playing this game?

• torch2k
    18 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 6:19 PM

overtheedge:

Harder to answer than ask, I'm afraid.  If you open Task Manager and click the Processes tab, the left column will list all running processes.  Understand that many apps, like anti-virus/anti-spyware suites, may run several.

A Google on each Image Name may give you some idea of the nature of the application that launched it, but I'd have to leave it to you to decide which are 'kill-able' on an ad hoc basis.

From there, Charl's suggestion for preventing them from loading would be suggested, if you want them out of the way permanently.

• borntobesting
    9,628 Posts
    Sat, Sep 18 2010 10:10 PM

torch2k:

overtheedge:

Harder to answer than ask, I'm afraid.  If you open Task Manager and click the Processes tab, the left column will list all running processes.  Understand that many apps, like anti-virus/anti-spyware suites, may run several.

A Google on each Image Name may give you some idea of the nature of the application that launched it, but I'd have to leave it to you to decide which are 'kill-able' on an ad hoc basis.

From there, Charl's suggestion for preventing them from loading would be suggested, if you want them out of the way permanently.

The newest version of Game Booster, Game Booster 2 beta does most of that for you. And it is easier to use and configure that the previous versions. I was not at all satisfied with the earlier version and uninstalled it. I just downloaded the new version last night and so far I am really impressed with it.

And remember that you need to upgrade your drivers especially your video driver frequently. The newer drivers help keep the system running smoother and work better with Flash. And make sure you don't have any scheduled system maintenance that will occur while you are playing. This past week I was in the middle of a CC tourney and my meter was almost flawless as usual for me when all of a sudden my meter got so choppy that it made the game unplayable. I saved my game and quit. When I went back to windows I discovered that my Anti virus  software even though it was disabled had started it's weekly scan of all my drives.Even if you turn off you anti virus software most of them will wake up and perform any maintenance that you have scheduled. This also includes your defrag programs.  After the scans were complete I restarted my game and played the final 10 holes with an almost flawless meter once again. There are just so many things that happen on your pc that can cause an unstable meter. And now of them are in WGT's control.

• RickBaker
    29 Posts
    Thu, Sep 23 2010 8:23 PM

Rick Baker here, owner Arizona PC Service...wow I never realized we had so many computer "experts" here? Just enough of them to get a person in REAL TROUBLE! LOL

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Sep 24 2010 10:20 AM

RickBaker:

Rick Baker here, owner Arizona PC Service...wow I never realized we had so many computer "experts" here? Just enough of them to get a person in REAL TROUBLE! LOL

Well Rick, how about lending your experience/assistance, instead of a non-informative blanket statement?

RSS